LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Shipping a car - need help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-12, 08:03 AM
skassamali
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping a car - need help.

I was looking to find a way to ship a car from Austin to Orlando (for myself) and Austin to Seattle (for a friend)...and who would more picky about how their car was shipping than my fellow CL members .

If you have used a shipping service before, could you please provide company name, phone, shipped to / from, and cost.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-18-12, 09:11 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i shipped my nissan 240sx from Raleigh, NC to Bremerton, WA in 05. total was approximately $1,000.
the truck was open (not enclosed.)
enclosed costs more, but will protect your car from road debris, etc.
definitely shop around.
there are many sites, just google 'ship car' or similar
they can provide you with customer reviews, which is very helpful.
on some sites you can list the car you want to ship, when, and where, and companies will bid on you.
definitely get some prices and reviews, and then try to get other companies to beat prices
Old 06-18-12, 04:50 PM
woo15ie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try looking into Reliable or Pilot Transport. I've used these two companies for work, but they were both enclosed trailers.
Old 06-18-12, 06:16 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

I had a terrible experience with DAS (Dependable Auto Shipping). They were anything but dependable. It took them almost a month to ship from Plano, TX to suburban Detroit after they guaranteed 20 days. $1,000 for door to door on an enclosed carrier. Their tracking service was down or grossly inaccurate during the shipping period.

I have heard good things about Reliable and will use them at the next opportunity
Old 06-18-12, 07:34 PM
honeygee2
Pole Position

You could fly me to Austin and I'll drive it to Orlando for you...lol
Old 06-19-12, 04:02 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by honeygee2
You could fly me to Austin and I'll drive it to Orlando for you...lol
That's not as silly as it sounds. I'm not sure where to look these days but there used to be a number of small companies that hired people to drive customer's car long distances - particularly on the New York to Florida run.. The drivers often pay for the privilege and can be required to be bonded. A couple of my wife's relatives who were retired moved RV's around the country for people as a hobby for something like 10 years.
Old 06-19-12, 05:57 AM
honeygee2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kansas
That's not as silly as it sounds. I'm not sure where to look these days but there used to be a number of small companies that hired people to drive customer's car long distances - particularly on the New York to Florida run.. The drivers often pay for the privilege and can be required to be bonded. A couple of my wife's relatives who were retired moved RV's around the country for people as a hobby for something like 10 years.
You Sir are correct. I drive vehicles up and down the east coast for clients. Although I am not bonded or in an official business I have moved a lot of stuff from a 26 foot penske truck to trucks and boats and SUV's etc. Once flew to Dallas and delivered a 15 passenger van to NY. In my case I charge a fee plus expenses but the vehicle will be in Florida the next day and I treat all equipment like i own it. Truck transport can take 3-7 days depending on where the pickups are.
References available upon request...lol