Considering LS430 - any issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-12, 03:35 PM
ippo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Considering LS430 - any issues?

Hi there,

I am new here, so let me introduce myself real quick and start with a question right away: I am Calvin from The Netherlands. Currently I am driving a Lexus GS300 1st gen. Because I am missing the "president" luxury I am considering buying a LS430 President Line with cool box, massage and other neat features. Although I will probably never sit in the back!

Are there any possible issues (every car has its issues) I should be looking for when I buy one of these King of the road? My fear is ending up with a problem car, so any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-06-12, 04:23 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

first off you would be buying one of the most reliable cars ever made.have a good machanic look your car over before you buy it.
Old 06-06-12, 09:41 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by ippo

Are there any possible issues (every car has its issues) !
These really don't have any. Seriously. It's hard to fathom, but it's true. As long as you find one that's been properly maintained, expect YEARS of trouble free driving!
Old 06-07-12, 09:11 AM
JSDND1980
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check window electrics, folding outside mirrors, has timing belt been done, brakese etc etc....
Old 06-07-12, 09:18 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ls-430

Hi there,

I am new here, so let me introduce myself real quick and start with a question right away: I am Calvin from The Netherlands. Currently I am driving a Lexus GS300 1st gen. Because I am missing the "president" luxury I am considering buying a LS430 President Line with cool box, massage and other neat features. Although I will probably never sit in the back!

Are there any possible issues (every car has its issues) I should be looking for when I buy one of these King of the road? My fear is ending up with a problem car, so any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Probably the most reliable car made by Lexus. Put tires, brakes and keep the oil changed and it just keeps on going. I've had four (4) LS Models, and never had any of them break. Just do your routine maintenance. Good luck.
Old 06-07-12, 09:56 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Air suspension shocks are expensive to replace, if one goes bad some people convert to a conventional spring suspension for less than the cost of one replacement shock. I personally like the air suspension though.
Old 06-07-12, 12:51 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Default Air Shocks

Originally Posted by ancdmd
Air suspension shocks are expensive to replace, if one goes bad some people convert to a conventional spring suspension for less than the cost of one replacement shock. I personally like the air suspension though.
You are absolutely correct about the hassles with air shocks. I owned a Lincoln Town Car many years ago and the air shocks were a constant problem. Very expensive also.

A friend of mine has a 1993 LS-400 with air shocks (92,000 Miles) and he doesn't drive it much but his air shocks bleed down.

Personally, if I found out a car I was looking at had air shocks, I'd totally mark it off my list. A Lexus rides just fine without them. It's just another way for Lexus to get your money.
Old 06-07-12, 02:45 PM
ippo
Driver

Thanks for the replies!

I already read something about the folding mirrors. Gladly this isn't a big issue IMO. I really can't wait to own my first LS!
Old 06-07-12, 04:07 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Thanks for the replies!

I already read something about the folding mirrors. Gladly this isn't a big issue IMO. I really can't wait to own my first LS!
My "theory" is "Why let them fold in and out every time you kill or start the car ?" It's just wearing the m out for no good reason. I use them when I feel I don't want anyone walking by and accidentally striking one or whatever. I park as far away from other cars as I can, but there's always one a**hole that is parked right next to me regardless of how far out I park.

I've had two LS-400, a GS-430 and went back to what I always loved, the LS-430. You will love it.
Old 06-07-12, 04:28 PM
ippo
Driver

true about the folding. Never had it but nice to have in tight situations.

I am already in love with it! I am afraid I am about to do something stupid: buy the LS while still have 2 cars for sale
Old 06-07-12, 05:33 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

i have my mirrors in the folding position all the time when she is not running.i have a cpo warrenty so the day the warrenty runs out i will turn off the switch.
Old 06-08-12, 07:38 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Default Cars For Sale

true about the folding. Never had it but nice to have in tight situations.

I am already in love with it! I am afraid I am about to do something stupid: buy the LS while still have 2 cars for sale
ONLY YOU know your financial situation. If you are "squeamish" about buying the Lexus before something happens with you other two cars, hold off. There are always going to be Lexus out there, but if you are as particular as I am, it may take you a while to find the perfect car for you.

Good luck, and welcome to the Forum and to the world of Lexus.
Old 06-08-12, 11:13 AM
ippo
Driver

Thanks for the advice. I find it VERY hard to be patient and wait for the "perfect" car though. Also, in Holland there aren't many LS430's for sale. As a matter of fact, right now there is only ONE President Line (I think it's similar to your UL) for sale... unless the seller doesn't want to negotiate and/or the car is crap, I am afraid I can't control myself LOL
Old 06-08-12, 12:30 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Thanks for the advice. I find it VERY hard to be patient and wait for the "perfect" car though. Also, in Holland there aren't many LS430's for sale. As a matter of fact, right now there is only ONE President Line (I think it's similar to your UL) for sale... unless the seller doesn't want to negotiate and/or the car is crap, I am afraid I can't control myself LOL
Actually, I'd have to do some looking or run my VIN# through Lexus, but I think mine is referred to as the "SPORT". It has lower profile tires, factory chrome wheels and every option they offered in 2005, except possibly "Vibrating rear seats". I"ve never seen a swith for that, but even the rear fold down arm-rest has seat heater switches. If I had snapped on the fact it was a "SPORT", I may not have bought it. Not sure why I feel that wsay as it drives very nicely. The wheels may be an inch "taller" than the Regular Lexus, I'm not sure. But when I laid eyes on it (Pearl white, Gray leather, and Chrome Factory Wheels, and a grey pinstripe) I fell in love with it. Made a good trade with a high-end auto dealer that also sells only Lexus and/or Mercedes Benz and traded at a fair price. I've never had ONE problem with it. It had 57,000 miles when I bought it ( a one-owner local car) and I just turned 82,000 miles on it. Not a scratch or dent on it.. I do love the back-up camera and the audible parking warning when I get too close to an object.

Good luck with your decision and I hope you sleep well knowing you own one of the finest cars made.
Old 06-09-12, 03:45 PM
ippo
Driver

So today I drove 2 hours just to see this particular LS430. On the picture the car looks pretty dark colored, although the ad says blue. I wanted to see the color in real life.

When I arrived I noticed the LS right away and it was indeed blue as hell :') I was VERY disappointed. I really want a white, gray/silver of black one. Normally I don't mind the color that much but since I want to "VIP" it, I don't know if it will look as good as the mentioned colors.

Also there are some minor marks in the back of the front seats, 2 dents in the rear bumper and some paint "chips" (is that how you call it?). And again, normally I am soooo easy and not an *ss about these little things. But hey, if I buy a LS I will "have to" keep it untill I can afford a LS460, LS600 or Crown Majesta.

Other than that, the car drives great. I got a kick at the 3000rpm mark which came as a suprise to me. I am used to 280hp (on a 1240kg car) so I didn't expect some beast under the hood, since the car weights 1800kg. But it was pretty quick and I was cruising 170km per hour when I wasn't paying attention to my speedo.

My daughter (she is 5) loves the massage in the rear seat. Car is pretty quiet, not as quiet as I thought it would be because it has double glass, but maybe the "noise" came from the sunroof. BTW, in the mirror there is a button with AUTO on it. What does it do? When I press it, the led next to it doesn't light up. The car has 2 heights but when I press "height" it doesn't really go up or something.

Although I am very positive about the quality, as I espected from Lexus, it's not love at first sight. Just because it's blue... So I am in a little dilemma right now. This is the only UL for sale in the whole country...

What do you guys think of blue?

Quick Reply: Considering LS430 - any issues?