LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Outside trunk opener button melting (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-12, 09:41 PM
dlap
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outside trunk opener button melting (merged threads)

Can i replace the trunk opener button thats on the outside of the trunk? Mine seems to have melted. If so, how and how much will it cost me if anyone knows. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-04-12, 04:23 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

care for a picture?
Old 08-20-12, 04:58 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

I've got the same problem on my LS and searching for a fix this is the only other post I've found on the issue so far. Looks like you'd have to pull the interior cover off the trunk lid to get to it from the inside. I'm tempted just to scrape off the melty stuff and spray the button with plasti-dip rather than do that.

Here are a couple of pics (apologies for the dirty car).

Anybody else have this happening?
Attached Thumbnails Outside trunk opener button melting (merged threads)-melt1.jpg   Outside trunk opener button melting (merged threads)-melt2.jpg  
Old 08-20-12, 11:29 PM
Twix
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the very same thing happening, though mine is black in colour but it does feel as if it's melting...not as bad as the on the pic but not far away of becoming like that soon...
I was thinking of glueing some peace of rubber patch on top of it or something like that...I don't know and I am not even sure from which side to approach the problem...
Old 08-20-12, 11:40 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

wow, what the hell happened to your trunk buttons ^ ^ ^

did you park to close to a camp fire or something, living in the dc area for 3 years (parked outside every day/night) with my LS430 this never happened.

i was going to ask if you guys were living in africa or something, but it seems like someone is,, so thats not funny anymore
Old 08-21-12, 04:43 AM
ippo
Driver

Are you sure it's not gum or anything? I can't believe hard plastic can melt this way...unless, like sojah stated, you BBQ'd it or something.
Old 08-21-12, 06:32 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Definitely not gum. It started feeling tacky at first, then progressed to the goop you see above over the last couple of years.

It gets fairly hot here in NC and my LS does 'live' outside. Definitely degrades in the summertime only, so its heat related.
Old 08-21-12, 06:59 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

maybe at some point it came in contact with a chemical.
Old 08-21-12, 09:02 AM
93SC300.
Lead Lap

It must be from the heat. Mine is melted here in tx but after some really hot days I can see how much more it has melted. It must be the heat
Old 08-31-12, 05:57 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post7456831

Seems to be a similar issue with the RX in a thread I came across this morning.
Old 08-31-12, 06:46 AM
Viper6
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Ordering some parts yesterday, I see sewellparts.com sells this... once you pull up your model and year, click on their view all area in upper left and you will see a pic and price... super cheap with Clublexus discount! It must be pretty common for them to show it in their quick reference section!

Definitely chemical breakdown... either bad OEM supplier batch mix in the molding process, or came into contact with some nasty chemicals. looks like an easy repair!

btw - if you have CPO it should be a covered repair.
Old 08-31-12, 06:56 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Mine was CPO, but there aren't going to be that many LS430's left covered under that warranty (many for time expiration and some for mileage)

I'll probably order the part when I get the stuff for my 120K tune up and see how ugly it is to get to the button. Always worth asking the dealer if they'll cover it gratis.
Old 08-31-12, 07:24 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, that looks very strange. Is that some heavy flash reflection making it look silver? My button is black and I can't see how any chemical would make the black turn to silver... and on top of that "melt" to that condition. Could be the button was not OEM, or previous owner put something over it to "protect" it and that in time melted. Perhaps the outer rubber cover came off and the silver is the exposed inners.

Anyway, hope the part is not too expensive and easy fix, although nothing much on the LS is easy fix except for oil changes and air filter.
Old 09-03-12, 01:49 AM
dlap
Rookie

mine is not as bad as the silver-looking one, but mine melted to the point where it was 'hanging' down like a teardrop. i just pulled it off. it was that soft. so this is a real issue i see.
Old 09-05-12, 09:36 AM
ctburrough
Driver School Candidate

Default Melting Trunk Button

I am having the same problem with my 08ES350. The button is actually dripping onto the bumper. I have contacted the dealership to see that they are going to do. I don't think that Lexus should expect its owners to pay for this repair because this is not normal wear and tear, this is definately a defect. Buttons break and fall off, but they are not supposed to melt. If I don't get any where with the dealership I will just order it from Sewell and do it myself.
Attached Thumbnails Outside trunk opener button melting (merged threads)-button.jpg  

Quick Reply: Outside trunk opener button melting (merged threads)