LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Outside trunk opener button melting (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-14, 07:27 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Not an uncommon problem

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...n-melting.html

I located it just looking through Sewell parts breakdown on their site

Found where I ordered it, but no part number. Part was called one of the below (or maybe I ended up ordering both)

E. SWITCH, LUGGAGE ELEC
F. SUPPORT ASSEMBLY, LUGGAG

I brought the parts and local Lexus dealer covered the labor under goodwill.
oh wow Dave..those buttons are just slopped mess. what gets so hot under there that would melt it like that?
Old 08-26-15, 01:31 PM
Chemtj
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ctburrough
Response to jayclapp:

Well that is true. However, the rubber didn't erode away, nor did it crack or develop a hole. I was MELTING! I hardly ever even use the button actually. I usually pop the trunk from inside the car or use the remote as I approach the car. I think they should have used a better quality rubber and hopefully they haven't used this material on some other part of the car that owners need to know about.
Does anyone know the part number for this button. I can't find it nor can the parts folks at 2 different Lexus dealers I have visited. The rubber buttons have melted on both my car and my brother's. Both are 04 models and neither have been abused.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-26-15, 05:44 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When I replaced the rear plate lights with LED's I realized that too.

But that button comes out as a separate piece. So I'm sure you can buy it from any part dealer.

Found it On South Alanta.

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...driveLine=8086

Looks like it's part number 8494450010. And it's only $7 bucks.

There are a couple nuts that will give you a hard time while removing the plastic covering piece with the silver chrome stripe on it. Just take your time and use the right tools.
Old 08-27-15, 10:52 AM
FlaPhil
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had it coming up as $57.93

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...494550010.html

EDIT: Actually I think you are right King911 - I quoted the entire switch assembly, you quoted for the rubber cover which I guess is the only part that needs to be replaced. You just saved me $50! Thanks.

Last edited by FlaPhil; 08-27-15 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-27-15, 04:06 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FlaPhil
I had it coming up as $57.93

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...494550010.html

EDIT: Actually I think you are right King911 - I quoted the entire switch assembly, you quoted for the rubber cover which I guess is the only part that needs to be replaced. You just saved me $50! Thanks.
Happy to help, man!
Old 08-27-15, 07:03 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Hold on, lol, I wasn't even aware we had a release button. Where exactly is it located?

I don't have smartkey, if that makes a difference.
Old 08-31-15, 03:06 PM
Chemtj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tHeKiNg911
When I replaced the rear plate lights with LED's I realized that too.

But that button comes out as a separate piece. So I'm sure you can buy it from any part dealer.

Found it On South Alanta.

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...driveLine=8086

Looks like it's part number 8494450010. And it's only $7 bucks.

There are a couple nuts that will give you a hard time while removing the plastic covering piece with the silver chrome stripe on it. Just take your time and use the right tools.
Ok. I bought part 8494450010. It turns out that it is a hard plastic piece that may be used to fill the spot if you remove the switch. It is not the rubber cover for the existing switch. I guess I will have to buy the entire switch for around $60 and hope it comes with a new rubber cover.
Old 08-31-15, 05:35 PM
abbyNormal
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Hold on, lol, I wasn't even aware we had a release button. Where exactly is it located?

I don't have smartkey, if that makes a difference.
Not sure if it's there on non-smartkey trunks, but on my ride it's about 8 inches to the right of center under the ledge that runs just above the license plate. And 8 inches to the left of center is a key slot.. I think, which the valet key won't open.

AN
Old 08-31-15, 06:30 PM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

did you change the LED's in the trunk? i have burn marks on mine from using a higher power LED.
Old 09-02-15, 09:47 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Chemtj
Ok. I bought part 8494450010. It turns out that it is a hard plastic piece that may be used to fill the spot if you remove the switch. It is not the rubber cover for the existing switch. I guess I will have to buy the entire switch for around $60 and hope it comes with a new rubber cover.
Shoot, sorry to misguide you. Looking at the diagram I was more than positive that it was the rubber piece you were talking about.

Have you thought of replacing the rubber piece with the plastic piece that came in?

Care to snap a pic of the part you ordered?
Old 09-02-15, 02:25 PM
Chemtj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tHeKiNg911
Shoot, sorry to misguide you. Looking at the diagram I was more than positive that it was the rubber piece you were talking about.

Have you thought of replacing the rubber piece with the plastic piece that came in?

Care to snap a pic of the part you ordered?
I went ahead and ordered the switch on Fleabay. Best price I could find was $52 with shipping. Local dealer wanted $114. Way above list price. A pic of the plastic part follows.

Old 09-18-15, 06:38 AM
alamberth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appear to have been the latest victim of the melting trunk button.

Had some time this week so I wanted to try and see if there was a fix for the existing button, figured if there wasn't I'd order the new part. Good news is that I was able to fix the existing button.

My guess is that the exposure to the elements caused the breakdown of the rubber used but where it was protected by the body the rubber wasn't sticky and appeared to be like new.

Attached is a PDF with some shots of what I found and did. After taking off the trunk lid cover there were two 10mm nuts (needed a deep well socket) holding the button on along with a snap on connector. From there the button came apart (thin plastic shims helped pry it open where it snapped together) 6 pieces total and all looked to be in great shape (with the exception of the melted piece). Cleaned the ick off the switch then put it back together. Had some PlastiDip spray in the garage, thought it would work well to keep out any road spray that could make its way up there (mine was gray, I'd have preferred black but nbd). Sprayed a few coats of PlastiDip on thin letting them build up till it formed a skin over everything and honestly - it feels close enough to the original! Put it all back together and it works like new, button springs out when pushed and I have a working trunk again!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LS430 trunk button repair.pdf (1.87 MB, 608 views)
Old 08-30-16, 02:01 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

I like melted cheese

Last edited by JffGRY706; 03-01-21 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-30-16, 02:53 PM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I used a thin plastic-y sheet. It was a packaging for some cellphone accessory I had in stock. Anywho, I cut up a square or rectangle piece off, a little bigger than the button itself. Then I put the cut-out about center of the mushy substance. Tucked in all four side, it stays in place, maybe cause of the sticky, tucking, or both.... but I don't feel the sticky stuff anymore. Cheap fix.
Old 08-31-16, 11:03 PM
OsideTurbo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting that no one has been able to determine the cause.

I find it hard to believe that it is heat alone that is doing it. There are a ton of Lexus' in the heat-belt of desert from California to Texas, yet there doesn't seem to be any increase of this button problem in the Southwest. Someone mentioned that there may have been a few bad batches from the part manufacturer where the chemical composition was off, making it more susceptible to heat. That theory seems plausible to me. But, if that were the case, you'd think they could find a pattern attributable to manufacturing dates and sources.

After reading this thread, my theory is that there is an auto-care product in the national chain stores that has a chemical in it that is corrosive to whatever type of rubber/latex is on the button cover. Maybe some type of wax or detailing dressing/lubricant, such as ArmorAll, etc., or wax remover, or a cleaner. This would explain the random instances, since it would happen only to those who are using that particular product.

No idea what it would be though . . .

Quick Reply: Outside trunk opener button melting (merged threads)