LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Price for 04 Ls430 UL

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-12, 04:58 AM
Cronic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price for 04 Ls430 UL

A friend of the family is thinking about listing his 04 ls430 UL with 59,000 miles, very good condition. I am wanting to make an offer before it hits the market, and wondering what a fair price is? Think 19.5 is a decent price?

I don't want to low ball him but want to make sure I can drive it for a couple years and still recoup some money. I typically only drive 10-12k a year.

Anything specific on these I should look for when buying used?(known issues, etc?)

What is typically the cost of going with a strut/spring combo if/when the AIR suspension becomes problematic? I can't really find a clear answer for going with a stock/stockish setup(ie not coilover)

I would like to make an offer on it today as I need a new DD asap, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by Cronic; 06-02-12 at 06:17 AM.
Old 06-02-12, 02:28 PM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That actually doesn't sound like a bad price man, offer him $18k and it'd be a steal...
Old 06-02-12, 02:38 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Get on autotrader.com and do a search all 2004 LS430's for sale across USA. There are 259 2004 LS430s for sale right now. You will be able to get an idea of the sales price range being asked by dealers and private parties (prove will vary with miles, condition, options, and location. Most cars in this price range are gonna sell for approx 95% of asking price depending on miles and condition.

You can also go to Edmunds.com and use the appraiser tool for used cars to get its approximate sales price/value.
Old 06-02-12, 05:28 PM
Cronic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Get on autotrader.com and do a search all 2004 LS430's for sale across USA. There are 259 2004 LS430s for sale right now. You will be able to get an idea of the sales price range being asked by dealers and private parties (prove will vary with miles, condition, options, and location. Most cars in this price range are gonna sell for approx 95% of asking price depending on miles and condition.

You can also go to Edmunds.com and use the appraiser tool for used cars to get its approximate sales price/value.
I have done both, but at the same time I wanted to check here, because typically forums are more intune to the true market. I don't want to pass up a car because edmunds says 19k, when in reality the market seems to be pulling a bit more.

That car isn't going to work anyway. I checked it out today, and our definitions of "good condition" are far apart..lol I am ****.

I was trying to avoid a dealer but I see a few certified 06's in the mid 20's. Wonder if that would pay off. Looking at 04's with 80k-90k miles they seem to be only pulling in 17k or less.
Old 06-02-12, 07:28 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

If you are looking for a mint condition cream puff you are likely going to have to pay top of the market and jump on it as soon as it shows up for sale - I mean that same day. There are a good number of folks looking for these cars and the really good ones get snapped up immediately.

Only the average condition cars stay on the market for weeks or months. IF you want a mint condition cream puff the buying strategy is different because the cars get sold so fast. If you have done the pricing research as you are looking, and you have looked at a few cars, you will then know what current price range is for the various condition cars that come up for sale - so when the right car you want comes on the market you can decide instantly if its a reasonable buy and make an educated offer before it gets snatched up.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 06-02-12 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-02-12, 08:11 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

$19.5k is a steal for an 04 UL with 59k miles if the car is cream puff....cars you see for $17k are not ultra with low miles or in Excellent condition.

I have seen some 04s as low as $15-$16k but they all had some kind of history behind them (Accident, not in average condition)

Like others have mentioned....If it's in mint condition or above average i would recommend jumping on the deal. (UL's are very rare and they do bring few grand more than base).
Old 06-02-12, 09:23 PM
Cronic
Pole Position

Ya I'm noticing that.

I looked at a 05 ml today just under 90k but no service records since 30k. Car was pretty clean other than the wheels peeling. Just can't trust it fully.

I am kinda wanting to find something fairly soon. If I go with a dealer I'm trying to stick with a lexus dealer vs these private dealers

I love all the ridiculous options of the ul (I'm a sucker for gadgets) but think a cl or ml might make more sense, less to go wrong.

Last edited by Cronic; 06-02-12 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-03-12, 11:07 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

If retrieving a good chunk of your initial purchase investment back after reselling is important to you, and you rack on 12,000+ miles a year, a low mileage car might not be the best way to go. Once our cars hit the 100,000+ mile mark, they tend to plummet as any luxury car over 100k will. You might want to consider a few more miles on the car where most of the depreciation has already been realized. Of course history, and service records are quite important as well. Good luck.
Old 06-03-12, 12:30 PM
Cronic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
If retrieving a good chunk of your initial purchase investment back after reselling is important to you, and you rack on 12,000+ miles a year, a low mileage car might not be the best way to go. Once our cars hit the 100,000+ mile mark, they tend to plummet as any luxury car over 100k will. You might want to consider a few more miles on the car where most of the depreciation has already been realized. Of course history, and service records are quite important as well. Good luck.
Thanks for your input! I appreciate it. While the car will get 10-12k a year, I am not sure how long I would keep it. I typically don't keep things much longer than a year, but if I LOVED this thing, then it might stick around for longer.

Do you feel these cars become hard to sell after 100k? I am fine losing some cash, however when I sell cars I like having things that move fairly easily. I usually price competitively, and keep my cars pristine, so I rarely sit on anything for long.

There are a few options with around 80k I am considering but just need to consider the 90k service. Being as I always drive low mileage/newer cars, getting over the mental hurdle of buying something with 80k miles is taking some getting used to

There is a nice 04 UL up in WA however $30k seems excessive, even despite mileage.

I can tell you this, all these cars are starting to blur together..lol

Last edited by Cronic; 06-03-12 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-03-12, 04:54 PM
2lucky
Driver School Candidate

I have a '04 UL "cream puff". 56K, mica flint w/black, 3M film on leading surfaces, all dealer services at recommended intervals, no dimples or paint work. I bought it for $22.5k from an individual in Iowa about 2 years ago (cars.com).
I am the 3rd owner.
It was CPO until I bought it.
I think if you have some time and patience, you may find a similar deal for $20k-22k. Check all the sites daily. cartrader, craigslist..etc.
At $19k your friends car sounds like a good deal!
Good luck!

Last edited by 2lucky; 06-03-12 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-03-12, 07:15 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cronic
Thanks for your input! I appreciate it. While the car will get 10-12k a year, I am not sure how long I would keep it. I typically don't keep things much longer than a year, but if I LOVED this thing, then it might stick around for longer.

Do you feel these cars become hard to sell after 100k? I am fine losing some cash, however when I sell cars I like having things that move fairly easily. I usually price competitively, and keep my cars pristine, so I rarely sit on anything for long.

There are a few options with around 80k I am considering but just need to consider the 90k service. Being as I always drive low mileage/newer cars, getting over the mental hurdle of buying something with 80k miles is taking some getting used to

There is a nice 04 UL up in WA however $30k seems excessive, even despite mileage.

I can tell you this, all these cars are starting to blur together..lol
A clean LS430 with over 100K will always sell, but of course it must be priced accordingly. To make a comparison.....A low mileage super clean 04 might sell anywhere from $19-$22,000 where the same car depending on how much over 100,000 miles it is can be in the low teens...($13,000-$15,000. People want deals on high mileage luxury cars but are willing to pay all the money for extremely low mileage super clean cars.
Old 06-04-12, 05:18 AM
Cronic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2lucky
I have a '04 UL "cream puff". 56K, mica flint w/black, 3M film on leading surfaces, all dealer services at recommended intervals, no dimples or paint work. I bought it for $22.5k from an individual in Iowa about 2 years ago (cars.com).
I am the 3rd owner.
It was CPO until I bought it.
I think if you have some time and patience, you may find a similar deal for $20k-22k. Check all the sites daily. cartrader, craigslist..etc.
At $19k your friends car sounds like a good deal!
Good luck!
You wanna sell it?

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
A clean LS430 with over 100K will always sell, but of course it must be priced accordingly. To make a comparison.....A low mileage super clean 04 might sell anywhere from $19-$22,000 where the same car depending on how much over 100,000 miles it is can be in the low teens...($13,000-$15,000. People want deals on high mileage luxury cars but are willing to pay all the money for extremely low mileage super clean cars.
That seems realistic. If I got the one with 83k on it, for 19 and drove it to like 110k, and could pull 14-15, that would be fine.
Old 06-04-12, 05:56 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I find very few cars have a consistent oil change history on car fax but you do see the # of owners and if it is NY, Jersey walk. Best history reports are always at the dealer and they are worth 1500 to 2 g's more for the peace of mind. The web has made everyone competitive.

My 04 has by the book dealer servcie on the Lexus site it reads like a textbook and a reason at 170 k no problems to date. Seems to be a good tool.

Tranny fluid changes, p steering brakes fluid all is nice but not a deal breaker to me around 100k. Real stickler is oil changes but if ya see a solid history with a few holes the local Jiffy Lube may be the answer. I have driven a few LS430 with a solid history that drove like crap.
I miss the days when you could call the previous owner and their was info in the glove box with phone numbers, but my last purchase 3 Years ago the Subaru dealer called and asked the owner if I could call them.

The 06's still may have a power train warrantee so purchases from Private parties one owner but even with no warrantee if ya see a history, look in their eyes see other cars and their home they have usually pretty safe. These are adult driven RPG proof cars.
Old 06-04-12, 06:14 AM
Cronic
Pole Position

Thanks!

Right now I have a few contenders I will call on in a couple of hours.

I am going to check out an 06 GS430 today as well as I am keeping a GS as a possibility.
Old 06-04-12, 02:06 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cronic
Thanks!

Right now I have a few contenders I will call on in a couple of hours.

I am going to check out an 06 GS430 today as well as I am keeping a GS as a possibility.
The GS form 1998-2005 is also a great car from Lexus with minimum issues. They are in great demand and a little harder to find in pristine condition as you will for the LS430. If you are looking at a GS430 versus a GS300, expect to pay top dollar for a showpiece due to their rairity. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Price for 04 Ls430 UL