LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Kicker sub replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-12, 11:20 AM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Kicker sub replacement question

I purchased the Kicker Comp 8 sub to replace the blown ML sub in my car. I've got the sub in hand. I'm going to have a friend take out/re-install the back seat but I need to know if there is any special wiring needed to install this sub to run at 8 ohm.

Here is the sub I have
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-C6FoBrN...tml?tab=review
Old 05-24-12, 11:52 AM
miniz
Lead Lap

2004 LS with ML is my car...forgot to put in first post.
Old 05-24-12, 12:49 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-the-boom.html
Old 05-24-12, 01:37 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Thanks but its not the same sub. The JL unit is wired differently.
Old 05-24-12, 02:23 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by miniz
Thanks but its not the same sub. The JL unit is wired differently.
Are you serious If you and your friend cant figure this out I would suggest neither of you attempt this or touch the car yourself . Take it to a professional installer.
Old 05-24-12, 02:43 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Wow that's a lot of help.
Old 05-24-12, 03:06 PM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Isn't the factory ML sub 12ohm?

If you're going to swap out that 8-ohm, single voice coil, Kicker sub there isn't any special wiring you can or should do. Just positive and negative.
Old 05-25-12, 05:48 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

no special wiring - some folks talk about putting a resister in the path to get to 12 ohm but that is not a good idea. Ohms are close enough that you should not have any problems. There are two terminals on the new speaker, one marked - and one marked + . Just attach to the existing two wire feed that you removed from the old OEM speaker making sure to preserve correct positive and negative polarity. If you get the polarity wrong the sub's cone will be moving inwards while the other speaker cones are being moved outwards - put simply the overall effect in most cases is loss of volume and imaging, etc.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 05-25-12 at 05:52 AM.
Old 05-27-12, 07:01 AM
miniz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
no special wiring - some folks talk about putting a resister in the path to get to 12 ohm but that is not a good idea. Ohms are close enough that you should not have any problems. There are two terminals on the new speaker, one marked - and one marked + . Just attach to the existing two wire feed that you removed from the old OEM speaker making sure to preserve correct positive and negative polarity. If you get the polarity wrong the sub's cone will be moving inwards while the other speaker cones are being moved outwards - put simply the overall effect in most cases is loss of volume and imaging, etc.
This is exactly what I was asking about. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-07-12, 01:18 AM
vamel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jabberwock, and how do you know which wire is + and the - that's coming from the amp. In another words, when you disconnect the wires from the ML sub you will have red and black wires, so which one would + and - out of those two? Thanks in advance...
Old 06-07-12, 03:57 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

In a car, a black wire will almost always be negative (ground). Positives can be various colors only determined by the wiring diagram/schematic.

In some two wire cables/feeds if you look closely one side of the two wire feed will have a colored stripe in the insulation, or a ridge or groove on the insulation, or a different shape (square vs. round). This is typically designated the positive (+) wire and the plain, round strand the negative (-) wire. Most standard speaker and lamp cord has this feature.

And just to keep things interesting, in typical home/house wiring, black is almost always positive - so just the opposite which can be a shocking discovery.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 06-07-12 at 04:10 AM.
Old 06-07-12, 09:05 AM
vamel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a car, a black wire will almost always be negative (ground). Positives can be various colors only determined by the wiring diagram/schematic.

In some two wire cables/feeds if you look closely one side of the two wire feed will have a colored stripe in the insulation, or a ridge or groove on the insulation, or a different shape (square vs. round). This is typically designated the positive (+) wire and the plain, round strand the negative (-) wire. Most standard speaker and lamp cord has this feature.

And just to keep things interesting, in typical home/house wiring, black is almost always positive - so just the opposite which can be a shocking discovery.
Hey Jabberwock, thanks a lot for the info, I highly appreciate it... I also came across this info:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=55760

where it says black +, red -

So we won't know for sure till we see the diagram like you said, so if any of the fellow members of this great forum has the stereo diagram for LS430 2005 with ML, please share it with us...

Thanks for all your help...