LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Steering Wheel Volume Control Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-13, 03:40 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by maniek_LS
I had burned fuse (my radio was fine, I was able to control it by ****, but not by wheel buttons) and this is why suggest to check 15A fuse.
Wow, you lucked out. Mine is not fuse. I would imagine the fuse would knock out all the wheels functions though.
Old 12-17-13, 04:13 PM
TTBomB
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

My 2005 has recently started acting up, the volume buttons do not work like they used to.
Now If I press the Up Volume, the Volume goes down. The Down Volume does not make any changes. On occasion the Set button will work. Its very strange.
At one time, every button worked as it should.

I have not looked into the issue myself... anyone ever issues this?
Old 12-18-13, 03:14 PM
BMWboy
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just had mine fixed a few weeks ago. It's your clockspring. Dealer paid for the part (bought the car less than a month ago) and I paid labor ($185). I think the part is $200-$300.
Old 12-19-13, 02:07 PM
TTBomB
Pit Crew

BMWboy- was your reply addressed to my isssue?
Old 12-20-13, 05:10 AM
BMWboy
Rookie

Originally Posted by TTBomB
BMWboy- was your reply addressed to my isssue?
Yes sir! It took them about 1.5 hours.
Old 12-22-13, 09:21 AM
TTBomB
Pit Crew

Great, thanks!
Old 05-05-16, 01:09 PM
LsBanGer43
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

decided to bring the post back up!! I'm starting to have issues with my volume control on my steering wheel. when ever i try to increase the volume it would increase by one then drop back down. then if i want to lower the volume it would drop drastically. I haven't checked my fuses yet. But i was thinking of unplug the battery to see if that made a difference.. any advice would help I'm going to try to hold out on going to the dealer on this unless its completely necessary.
Old 05-05-16, 02:36 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LsBanGer43
decided to bring the post back up!! I'm starting to have issues with my volume control on my steering wheel. when ever i try to increase the volume it would increase by one then drop back down. then if i want to lower the volume it would drop drastically. I haven't checked my fuses yet. But i was thinking of unplug the battery to see if that made a difference.. any advice would help I'm going to try to hold out on going to the dealer on this unless its completely necessary.
Seems to be the spiral cable/clockspring. Had volume and control troubles for a while. Finally replaced it and now all is well. EBay has a few OEM ones. I bought one from a Chinese parts supplier for $25. Did some swapping out of pieces to make it fit but its working good so far. If it last more than a year it'll be the best $25 I've spent in a long time.
Old 05-06-16, 03:42 PM
LsBanGer43
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by slvr surfr
seems to be the spiral cable/clockspring. Had volume and control troubles for a while. Finally replaced it and now all is well. Ebay has a few oem ones. I bought one from a chinese parts supplier for $25. Did some swapping out of pieces to make it fit but its working good so far. If it last more than a year it'll be the best $25 i've spent in a long time.
can you route me to one??
Old 05-06-16, 06:27 PM
abbyNormal
Driver

I hope I'm not steering you wrong here, but I had issues with my steering wheel buttons (sometimes they worked other times they triggered without me touching them). I replaced my clockspring and everything started working correctly (including my horn) BUT my volume on the steering wheel still behaves just like yours; one push and volume changes and then changes back. The other button drops the volume down. My assumption is that I need to pull the radio and reboot/reset but I've never tried since I don't really need those buttons.

So, you might try to pull your head unit and do the reset (I think there's a button or hole you press on the back somewhere).

AN
Old 05-07-16, 05:16 AM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

can you route me to one??
Sure. Although the unit is showing no signs of faulty operation as of now, the jury is still out. Keep in mind that it is a $25 part from China so please don't put too much hope that it will last long. I will keep my eye on it for at least a year. If it fails after that, I got more than my monies worth plus it gives me time to sell the 01-03 I'm stuck with on ebay hopefully. Link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182007994014?redirect=mobile

P.S.
If you do get this part, the steering wheel sensor will have to come off the old unit and put on the new one. Also, there's a cone like piece that is not an exact fit, it must also be swapped out in order for it to slide on the wheel shaft.
Old 05-09-16, 10:54 AM
LsBanGer43
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by abbyNormal
I hope I'm not steering you wrong here, but I had issues with my steering wheel buttons (sometimes they worked other times they triggered without me touching them). I replaced my clockspring and everything started working correctly (including my horn) BUT my volume on the steering wheel still behaves just like yours; one push and volume changes and then changes back. The other button drops the volume down. My assumption is that I need to pull the radio and reboot/reset but I've never tried since I don't really need those buttons.

So, you might try to pull your head unit and do the reset (I think there's a button or hole you press on the back somewhere).

AN

I might give the headunit reset a try, all my other functions on my steering wheel works. Just the volume control is the one that isn't working properly. Thanks!
Old 05-09-16, 11:28 AM
LsBanGer43
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Sure. Although the unit is showing no signs of faulty operation as of now, the jury is still out. Keep in mind that it is a $25 part from China so please don't put too much hope that it will last long. I will keep my eye on it for at least a year. If it fails after that, I got more than my monies worth plus it gives me time to sell the 01-03 I'm stuck with on ebay hopefully. Link:

Spiral Cable Clock Spring 8430650180 for Toyota soarer Celsior Lexus LS430 SC430 | eBay

P.S.
If you do get this part, the steering wheel sensor will have to come off the old unit and put on the new one. Also, there's a cone like piece that is not an exact fit, it must also be swapped out in order for it to slide on the wheel shaft.
Thanks i think i will hold off on this first and make it my last resort. I'm going to try the headunit reset first. since i'm going to pop the unit out i might as well add the vaistech adaptor to add the aux cable etc. on it.