LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2 quick questions, 1 headlight and 1 DRL

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-12, 05:44 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2 quick questions, 1 headlight and 1 DRL

Folks, 2 quick questions I hope you can help me with.

Ive been going through all of my cars one by one, bulb by bulb and replacing all fogs, parking/driving etc. lights with Phillips super white bulbs and/or PIAAs. Not trying to fool anyone into thinking my driving lights are HIDs (LOL!!), just wanted to freshen the appearance of my Lexuses in particular as well as get the improved lighting from the white as opposed to brown/yellowish light of the OEM bulbs. So today I got to my LS and have 2 queries.

1. My passenger side HID headlight it pointing high, not straight like the driver side. It looks like getting to it should be easy enough. How does one adjust it to get the angle its pointing altered?

2. Our DRLs, as you all know, are dog ugly. Now in the past I seem to recall people saying the only way to upgrade them is by also attaching some sort of doohickey (sorry for the technical term there, didnt mean to go over all you newbies' heads ) that essentially cuts the power going to the replacement bulb by half to get it to work. Whats up with that? IS it necessary? Can I not just order a Phillips or PIAA super white bulb of the same type and swap it in in place of what is there? Im not trying to put anything overly fancy or overly powerful in there, I just dont want the barf brown color of what is in there now and would prefer it to be a pure white color to match my newly installed fogs, thats all. They dont even have to be super bright, just white. Likely would want to do the same for my front turn signal bulbs because as you all know, once you start the ultra white bulb thing it kind of becomes an obsession, lol.

Thanks in advance for your help. And wait until you see how great my GX looks with all of the lighting upgrades! Like night and day with just a few simple lighting modifications. Looks like a million $$s I was about to install a full, actual HID kit on it but thought of trying these bulbs first, and they looked fantastic and I couldnt justify the move to HIDs after seeing these in action. Followed up with the same for fogs and parking lights and now the whole setup, together, looks outstanding. Tomorrow I should receive the final piece of the puzzle for the GX, namely, PIAA replacement bulbs that will replace the atrocious amber colored DRLs that double as turn signals. Amber DRLs, who thinks this crap up?

No worries, it should be remedied soon enough
Old 03-30-12, 10:17 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Can anyone help? Like for the DRLs, if I just swap mine out for these,
Amazon Amazon
, would they operate as DRLs and High beams as my current bulbs are now? Theyre not in need of any extra power like LEDs, HIDs etc, just regular old 9005 bulbs. Ok to just swap these in for my DRL/Highs?
Old 03-30-12, 11:13 AM
Silkky
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you swapped your stock bulbs for the ones you linked, it will still operate as your DRL and high beams.
Old 03-30-12, 11:14 AM
Silkky
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And for adjusting the headlights: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...eup-w-pix.html
Old 03-30-12, 11:18 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Thank you sir. That is what I thought and what I needed to know. Much appreciated.
Old 03-31-12, 04:48 AM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

you would only need a doohickey if you want LED DRL's
Old 03-31-12, 05:42 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if its the doohickey i'm thinking of that a few of us on here got (myself included) then you technically loose any extra light output from the high beams when you put in the led bulbs. i mean i can still flick/flash them on and off but only like 1% extra usable light seems to come out, courtesy of the led bulb design. however, your drl's will look super bright even during the day with a nice led glow.

i had some super duper heavy duty piaa bulbs in my old GS400 and when i upgraded to these hid bulbs in my current LS430 they are a little brighter.
Old 03-31-12, 07:34 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Thank you guys. I ordered the bulbs I linked to earlier as I have been going through all the bulbs in both Lexus's and getting rid of everything that is either amber or old white and swapping for either Phillips or PIAA ultra white. So far the difference is night and day and I am so glad I started doing so. The DRL/highs on the LS are one of the last bulbs I need to swap out and I wasnt looking to take it as far as many of you have, though I love what you guys did. I just want to get rid of the ugly brown/yellowish white that comes from a regular bulb and upgrade to an ultra white bulb like a good Phillips or PIAA. Should look sharp.

So far of all the bulb upgrades Ive done, my favorite has been dumping the ugly amber DRLs on my GX470 and replacing them with PIAA super white bulbs. They look bloody fantastic, damn near like HIDs though Im not in any way trying to pretend or fake having HIDs. Just a fantastic look and Ive always despised the orange.
Old 03-31-12, 12:24 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Ok sorry, one more question that never occured to me before. Is there another bulb in the foglight housing, in the outer corner of the housing? IF so, what is that bulb for? I was ordering new foglight lens assemblies as while upgrading my bulbs I noticed one was cracked and I cant have imperfection, and I note that it seems they accomodate 2 bulbs. One is the foglight bulb which I have already changed, and the other is a "driving light" bulb which I do not remember ever having lit up before. What is that bulb for and when does that light up?

Sorry to ask but Ive always felt that corner looked as if it should/could house another light but never noticed anything there and apparently never examined close enough thinking I was certain that was it. Its entirely possible though that I didnt know what to look for and didnt pay them much attention either though. If there are bulbs in there, I will need to know what they are when they come on and then research the bulb types so I can upgrade them too to an ultra white PIAA or Phillips to match the rest of my lighting upgraded.

BTW, Amazon right now has pass side aftermarket full foglight assemblies on sale for $48 and free shipping!!!! Act fast, there arent many left and I wouldnt be surprised if the price went right back up quickly.
Amazon Amazon

EDIT: Looks like Amazon is down to the last pass side foglight and the price is up to $109. Still cheap, but not the $48 I got lucky paying. Sorry

TIA

Last edited by Muti007; 04-01-12 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-01-12, 01:53 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Exclamation

Does anyone have any idea about my last question? I went out and played around with all of my headlight settings today and for the life of me, I couldnt get the "driving lights" which are in the corners of the foglight housings to light up for anything. I have no idea what those bulbs are for or in what scenario they would light up. I guess playing devils advocate, it is possible both of my bulbs are out, but as they arent the easiest thing to access, Id really like to know what the heck they are for before I go tearing into the foglights again. Does anyone have any idea what those corner "driving lights" right next to the foglight bulbs are for, if/when then they ever light up?

Sorry, I am working from now for over a month and likely will continue to do so for many months due to an illness I am dealing with and as such, I am spending more time on my cars than before as theyre my only real outlet outside of work that I have to keep me somewhat sane, keep my mind occupied and provide some satisfaction. So over the last 2 weeks or so, I have become bulb obsessed and am almost done upgrading all forward facing bulbs on the Lexuses. Once complete, I will turn to the S2000 and after that, Ill start thinking abut the next projects.

Thanks in advance for th ehelp and fpr putting up with a sick and somewhat OCD fella
Old 04-01-12, 03:40 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Okay well I've been reading this thread and drinking somee rum too but I believe u r talking about the little 194 (I think that's what they r if my memory is correct; rum) and they are inside the headlight housing, not the foglight housing. The fogs r down below the headlights r up top. The little corner bulbs in the headlights are only on when the headlights r turned on. They r very low powered but I replaced mine with bight blue ones and they add a little tint of blue to the stock amazing headlights. Does this help at all??? Rum...
Old 04-01-12, 03:56 PM
Muti007
Advanced

HEy man, thanks for trying, but Im talking about in the foglight housing, not in the headlight housings.
Old 04-01-12, 05:13 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

There is no second small light in the stateside fog housing but I believe in japan the ls430 came with a second bulb as a conering bulb like the big cadillacs do here.
Old 04-01-12, 05:19 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Ahhhhh!! That would make sense then. So in this pic, for a US car, the second, smaller hole would just remain empty

Old 04-02-12, 05:03 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

that is correct. ^ ^ ^

Quick Reply: 2 quick questions, 1 headlight and 1 DRL