LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

'06 LS430 - Tire question

Old 03-28-12, 07:38 AM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts
Default '06 LS430 - Tire question

I will soon need to replace tires. The Dunlops I have now are rather loud and I want something that will be quiet. My car has the 18" wheel that was an OEM upgrade; 245/45R18. I've been looking at reviews, etc. but still would like to hear some feedback from you all.

I am leaning towards Michelin Primacy MXV4s. I've read a number of posts where owners have them and really love them as they are quiet and handle well.

My biggest concern is spending the $$ and not having a quiet tire.

Thanking you all in advance!
Kevin
Old 03-28-12, 07:54 AM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tires

Originally Posted by 06ls430KTC
I will soon need to replace tires. The Dunlops I have now are rather loud and I want something that will be quiet. My car has the 18" wheel that was an OEM upgrade; 245/45R18. I've been looking at reviews, etc. but still would like to hear some feedback from you all.

I am leaning towards Michelin Primacy MXV4s. I've read a number of posts where owners have them and really love them as they are quiet and handle well.

Kevin
I currently have primacys mxv4 and they are soft and quiet.They also have one of the highest treadwear number that i have seen.They are stamped 620.They are pricey though.
Old 03-28-12, 09:00 AM
kg19989
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Primacy.... they are the factory issue on this car.... There are others that are rated and smoother and quieter but I went down that path and I couldn't tell any difference.
Old 03-28-12, 05:41 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Primacy works well on my car. Be aware that they will be loud and a little stiff for the first 100-200 miles they seem to get smoother and quieter for the first 2-3k miles - I have about 20k on mine with zero issues and little wear but I am OCD about 5k rotations.
Old 03-28-12, 06:04 PM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Primacy MXV4's all the way. After the initial break-in they are quiet and long wearing. Pricey but well worth it IMHO.
I have them on both my cars and am a satisfied customer with them and like Jabberwock I am **** about 5K rotations, balance and pressure checks. Get 'em at Costco when they have a deal on Michelin's.
Lots of threads on this topic.
Old 03-28-12, 06:24 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The Primacys do seem to be the defacto tire for this car and its probably well earned but if you want a comparable ride and noise levels check out the Toyo Versado LX's. Also they're cheaper and the wear pretty well with proper rotation.
Old 03-28-12, 07:26 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I had Mich Prim H for 55K and now GY Comfortred Touring V for like 10K. Look into the Primacy V as I found the GY V rated tire crisper handling with no penalties over the Prim H. Both tires I find wear like iron, quiet, balance well. Is the Toyo V rated?

Gy Mich 1 - 2 on Tire Rack.

Got my GY for like 110 bucks after rebate for 225/55/17 in the fall, prices have gone up.
Old 03-29-12, 07:19 AM
Frankg2
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus and love them. As you might expect, the Pilots rate better than the MXV4s in most of the performance categories, while the MXV4s rate better in comfort and noise. The differences are minor, however. UTQG treadwear is in favor of the MXV4s, 620 vs 500, while traction grade favors the Pilots, AA vs A. I prefer the aggressive look of the Pilot's tread pattern, which is what ultimately sold me. Price of Pilots is a little higher as well, but both are expensive. I love Michelin, and I don't think you can go wrong with either tire.
Old 03-29-12, 07:47 AM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankg2
I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus and love them. As you might expect, the Pilots rate better than the MXV4s in most of the performance categories, while the MXV4s rate better in comfort and noise. The differences are minor, however. UTQG treadwear is in favor of the MXV4s, 620 vs 500, while traction grade favors the Pilots, AA vs A. I prefer the aggressive look of the Pilot's tread pattern, which is what ultimately sold me. Price of Pilots is a little higher as well, but both are expensive. I love Michelin, and I don't think you can go wrong with either tire.
My '05 came with Pilots and the handling difference is quite noticeable although they seemed to be a bit louder than the MXV4's. These cars are not designed to get tossed around a track etc. They're the Buick Roadmaster of this generation and that is why I switched to the MXV4's although I may switch back to the Pilots when these wear out and have the best of both worlds.
At the end of the day, your own personal choice is what matters most.
Old 03-29-12, 08:44 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Khumo Extasy Platinum's have done very well for mine so far at 30k - however they emit a bit of noise on brand new pavement. Will be switching to Primacy's on next purchase for comparison.
Old 03-29-12, 09:13 AM
mndaves
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

We have 15,000 miles on our Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires and have been very happy with them. We don't switch out to winter tires and even living in MN haven't had any problems. The tires are quiet on all road surfaces, ride smooth, and seem to be wearing well with regular rotations. We got them through our dealer who matched the TireRack price...
Old 03-30-12, 09:14 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity, Toyo Versado, or Kumho Platinums.
Old 04-06-12, 08:41 PM
yoreg1911
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06ls430KTC

Kevin
My friend, stick with the Michelin tires. I just replaced the Dunlops on my 03 LS430 and I could not be happier. Quiet ride with great handling. I got them on sale @ Costco. You will not be disappointed!
Old 04-07-12, 08:08 AM
oxonian007
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSGarry
My '05 came with Pilots and the handling difference is quite noticeable although they seemed to be a bit louder than the MXV4's. These cars are not designed to get tossed around a track etc. They're the Buick Roadmaster of this generation and that is why I switched to the MXV4's although I may switch back to the Pilots when these wear out and have the best of both worlds.
At the end of the day, your own personal choice is what matters most.
As much as I love the quiet ride with the Primacy tires, which were just as good on a Honda I had before this, I have to admit that their handling is a little deficient.

What does he expect out of his Lexus "Roadmaster", you ask? Well, I expect a little more traction in the wet. I drive spiritedly, not necessarily aggressively, and I find that the back end breaks loose unexpectedly. Just yesterday there was a puddle at a street corner. Well, I was in a hurry and my foot was a little "heavy". The back end broke loose in a big way as I took off from the corner. Without the stability control, I would have been sideways in the street. And no, it was not floored.

Sand on the street can also send the stability control into fits. And it's not just the Lexus. The wet traction was below expectations on my much less powerful Honda. So, in conclusion, I would recommend the Primacy tires to someone who drives more gently, a la Roadmaster, and "something else" to someone whose driving style is more spirited.

After all, these vehicles perform a lot better than an actual Roadmaster.

Last edited by oxonian007; 04-07-12 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-10-12, 08:46 PM
aqbill
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My top choices were Michelin Primacy or Goodyear Comfortred Touring. My tire guy said to go with the Primacy and so I did. In addition to being quiet and comfortable, they grip the pavement like grim death when you need to stop quickly. The combination of Lexus brakes and these tires is impressive. These tires are just right for my easy driving style and fuel mileage ranges between 18 mpg for stop & go town driving, 21 for residential and 29 mpg on the interstate. Hard to beat when considering all that comfort and class.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '06 LS430 - Tire question