LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Installing New HID headlight kit

Old 03-09-12, 06:50 PM
Djdan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing New HID headlight kit

I just bought a plug and play kit 6000k. I thought I would be able to install in my 03 LS430 in an hr or so but then I read somewhere that you need to take the front bumper off and the headlight casing in order to install. I have the ballast to install with the new bulb.

Any ideas or anyone have any experience installing HID kits?
Old 03-09-12, 09:35 PM
MEPEH
Driver School Candidate

Just remove the old bulb and plug in the HID Bulb.
Connect the bulb to the ballast and ballast to the plug that used to go on your stock bulb and you'll be fine
Should be plug and play
Old 03-10-12, 04:59 AM
Djdan
Driver School Candidate

Default HID Kit

My problem is the ballast is going bad and I need to install the new ballast. If I install the new ballast I would need to disconnect the old ballast and I am not sure how to do that.
Old 03-10-12, 08:17 AM
MEPEH
Driver School Candidate

Are you replacing the stock HID with Stock ?
Or is that an aftermarket kit you want to put on the car ?
Old 03-11-12, 03:38 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Go to http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php and hit them up about a replacement ballast for your car. You don't want to replace factory with after market.
Old 12-11-12, 07:53 PM
jctevere
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, I would like to know how the OP made out.

I have a benz, so I'm not familiar with this car. But my grandfather has a 2003 Lexus LS430. It had every single option, so I'm not sure if that matters or not.

His factory OEM HID's are giving him problems. One side will sometimes fail to ignite, but occasionally it will turn on, and then later turn off after a few minutes. I assume that the ballast is going bad...

He has NUMEROUS problems with the car and had the dealers replace both ballasts in the past. It just seems like the OEM stuff is junk. So I think I'm just going to retrofit an aftermarket HID kit to his vehicle since its cheap, and I can replace it 10x over if I need to.

Just some quick questions, what type of bulbs are the factory HID? I would assume D1S, however, the headlights are a reflector style housing and not projector lens.

Also, if I get a 5000k 35W kit, will I require error eliminators or relay harnesses? I'm not sure what the connection to the factory bulb looks like. But I'm hoping that I can just seat the aftermarket HID D1S bulb into the holder, drill a hole and fit a grommet into the dust cap to seal it.

But will I have to tap the battery for power, or can I just plug the ballast into the plug that goes to the factory bulb? Will the failing factory Ballast prevent that wire from giving enough "juice"?

Thanks for all the help!

EDIT:
Actually, now that I did some more thinking. It sounds like it could also possibly be just that the headlight bulbs are going bad. Maybe I'll just source some replacement HID bulbs and try those first to see if that works. I'm sure that he has never replaced the bulbs - most likely due for replacement. After a little bit more research, I believe that since it is a reflector housing the car should use D2R bulbs?

Last edited by jctevere; 12-11-12 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-14-12, 09:37 PM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^ I always thought that the dealer would change the whole headlight not the ballast in cases like yours.
Old 12-15-12, 08:34 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jctevere
Hey guys, I would like to know how the OP made out.

I have a benz, so I'm not familiar with this car. But my grandfather has a 2003 Lexus LS430. It had every single option, so I'm not sure if that matters or not.

His factory OEM HID's are giving him problems. One side will sometimes fail to ignite, but occasionally it will turn on, and then later turn off after a few minutes. I assume that the ballast is going bad...

He has NUMEROUS problems with the car and had the dealers replace both ballasts in the past. It just seems like the OEM stuff is junk. So I think I'm just going to retrofit an aftermarket HID kit to his vehicle since its cheap, and I can replace it 10x over if I need to.

Just some quick questions, what type of bulbs are the factory HID? I would assume D1S, however, the headlights are a reflector style housing and not projector lens.

Also, if I get a 5000k 35W kit, will I require error eliminators or relay harnesses? I'm not sure what the connection to the factory bulb looks like. But I'm hoping that I can just seat the aftermarket HID D1S bulb into the holder, drill a hole and fit a grommet into the dust cap to seal it.

But will I have to tap the battery for power, or can I just plug the ballast into the plug that goes to the factory bulb? Will the failing factory Ballast prevent that wire from giving enough "juice"?

Thanks for all the help!

EDIT:
Actually, now that I did some more thinking. It sounds like it could also possibly be just that the headlight bulbs are going bad. Maybe I'll just source some replacement HID bulbs and try those first to see if that works. I'm sure that he has never replaced the bulbs - most likely due for replacement. After a little bit more research, I believe that since it is a reflector housing the car should use D2R bulbs?
Yes it sound like you have a bulb issue. Good luck