Search this Thread

Old 02-12-12, 01:17 PM
nmikmik
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shopping for a new (2me) car

Hi,

I am starting to look at 430, but the budget is not cooperating, as always

Found this 01 with almost 180k on it and the price seems to be somewhat reasonable, I think he wants 9k for it.
I know these cars to be the most reliable of anything that is currently on the road, but eventually anything gives. Like I know (or i think i know) that LS400 with this kind of mileage will probably need at least a starter(that i know is a pain to replace = $$$), O2 sensors, possibly cats and struts.
What can I expect on the 430?, given it was maintained (if I want to believe the seller) regularly. I know with this kind of mileage it's got to be something and I want to be prepared budget wise, to lessen the impact of "surprises"
Or i'll have to wait even longer to get a newer car with less miles on it.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-12-12, 02:26 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the timing belt and water pump are recommended at every 90k miles. i replaced a starter on my gs400 at around 105k and it was damn expensive too.
Old 02-12-12, 02:34 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Some general suggestions:

- Get the service history for the car to verify any statements about regular service. If serious about a car, you can register the VIN in the owner's sections of Lexus.com and view the dealer service history. Delete the car if you don't end up buying it.

- Cars with fewer options have less expensive stuff like air suspension, radar cruise, laminated side windows and nav to go wrong. That is the premium trim level - but don't rely on ads to accurately state what trim level the car is.

Good luck in your search. Remember, even minor repairs, like fixing the mirrors or steering column motors, are fairly expensive. Thankfully, the really expensive fixes like motor and tranny problems are rare.
Old 02-12-12, 03:01 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

There are not that many folks on this forum with 180k in their cars. I have 156 no problems.
Old 02-12-12, 03:28 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

You are right to be concerned. A LS430 used is very inexpensive to buy - now, but when it does break, its repair cost is high as it WAS a $60,000 + car.

I bought a premium 2005 LS430 one year ago, to avoid all the repairs of the expensive optional parts. And as I hoped, and expected, nothing has broken yet !
Old 02-12-12, 06:29 PM
nmikmik
Rookie

Thanks,

I was actually hoping to find someone with high miles on the 430 to see what's up, but I guess people here don't drive them that much.... Of course if I have still lived behind the rust belt, i'd have kept an awd for the winter driving.
As far as miles, i'll most likely rack them up pretty quick myself, that's the maintenance is so important. I of course will get the AutoCheck before I buy anything.
btw, anyone aware of any problems to bring a vehicle form another state to CA? I recall there used to be CA specific emissions on the cars, but I thought lately it went all over US with same standard.
Thanks again.
Old 02-13-12, 09:40 AM
Dirtyd210
Driver

I have a 2001 LS430 that i bought back in 2009 for 10k flat.... It had 120k miles on it... It now has 192k... Overall car has been great.... Ive had a fan motor go out, a new radiator needed, and most recently a driver seat issue that i managed to fix on my own... The cost for these parts and repairs over the timeframe I have had it and the miles ive put on it is not bad at all....

Ive had fords and chevys that always had issue after issue, sensors, trannys, electrical.. For the LS parts can be pricey but they last.. To this date i still have no engine lights on and my tranny and motor run like a champ..

I'd say this was probably the best 10k i ever spent and i plan on driving it as long as i am able to... Hope that helps you...
Old 02-13-12, 06:10 PM
nmikmik
Rookie

That actually does help a lot DirTy.

I suspect I made a "mistake" today by going to the dealer and driving one of their 2001 LS430s.
I knew that I was pretty much presold on the vehicle, but this was the first time in my life when I had to physically resist from asking the salesman to go sit down and crunch some numbers. Boy, that was nice two, maybe tree year old car. There was no way someone would have convinced me it was an 11 yo vehicle with close to a 100k on it, if I wouldn't have known ahead of time. Now, my challenge is finding the same or similar shape privately owned.
Old 02-25-12, 08:09 AM
nmikmik
Rookie

Default What about state-to-state transfers

Can someone please tell me if you can transfer the vehicle from state to state i.e. any other state to California?
I am willing to travel to find the right car for the right price, but want to make sure I am looking for problems when I come back.
Thanks,
Old 02-25-12, 09:13 AM
Dailow
Driver School Candidate

I'm not American, but I figure it's pretty common to buy vehicles out-of-state.
I bought my car in WA and imported it to Canada, so I don't think you'll have any issues as long as you give some thought to your insurance, and how you'll be transporting the car.
Old 02-25-12, 09:23 AM
Enigma869
Driver

Originally Posted by nmikmik
Can someone please tell me if you can transfer the vehicle from state to state i.e. any other state to California?
I am willing to travel to find the right car for the right price, but want to make sure I am looking for problems when I come back.
Thanks,
Of course you can. Never heard of that ever being an issue and I've owned more cars from more states in my life than I can remember. The only way that it would ever be an issue would be if you were dealing with a Salvage Title, as each state has their own specific laws as it relates to salvage or rebuilt titles.

John
Old 02-25-12, 03:43 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

There was a time that cars sold in CA had to meet stricter emissions standards, including used cars brought into the state, I believe. Definitely something to check out on the Left Coast.
Old 02-25-12, 04:42 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I think all Lexi are 50 state emissions compliant these days but its certainly something to check before you buy out of state as Caddy wisely states.

In general there is no problem at all buying an out of state car.

Just beware you do not pay sales tax in the state that you buy it in (if you don't live there) because your home state will make you pay sales tax when you register the car to get plates. Also make sure you get clear title to the car when purchasing (do not accept we lost it, its being processed, its in the mail, my sister has it will bring it next weekend,etc) as pursuing a title long distance can be an extreme hassle. But if you buy from a dealer they may have to mail you the title but you can usually rely on a reputable brand name dealer to follow through - but if its a private party or a small independent dealer do not under any circumstances give them your money until you have a clear title signed and in hand. It really critical to understand that you are buying the conveyable clear paper title to the car and not the car - handing the seller your money and driving away with the car is useless unless you have the title to that exact car in hand (or are extremely 100% confident if will be mailed as in buying from a Lexus dealer). People have been burned and burned badly if bogus auto sales.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 02-25-12 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-25-12, 05:28 PM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 430

I have purchased several veh out of state and usually if you drive the veh back you pay sales tax and you home state receprocates and you do not pay taxes then.If you have the veh shipped then you can pay taxes in your home state.
Old 02-25-12, 09:46 PM
nmikmik
Rookie

Thanks a lot for your help.

I guess it is still more of the DMV questions, because I don't want any 10k+ surprises...

Quick Reply: Shopping for a new (2me) car