LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Gas Smell

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-11, 12:44 AM
Bobzi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Smell

Helloooo okkaay i have this small issue.

The car runs fine but when i stop the car but keep the Ignition on for few minutes, i notice a gas smell. However when the car is moving i smell nothing, sure because the of air flow around the car!
The smell is from outside the car when the ignition is ON but the car in stop position for few minutes.

For information i use octane 95

Any one has any idea about that?
Old 12-19-11, 02:34 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

When you say "gas smell", which odor are your detecting:

- Unburned fresh gas?
- Exhaust gasses?
- A sulphur smell?

Also, what model year is your car, how many miles, and what country/state are you located in? (Aside from av gas and racing fuel, the max octane rating I've seen is 93.)
Old 12-19-11, 12:12 PM
Frankg2
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner

- Unburned fresh gas?
- Exhaust gasses?
- A sulphur smell?

Also, what model year is your car, how many miles, and what country/state are you located in? (Aside from av gas and racing fuel, the max octane rating I've seen is 93.)
I also have a gas smell.. I think I posted on this earlier but no one had any suggestions. Slightly different from bobzi, I notice mine the most when I turn the car off and get out. It's intermittent, and the smell is most definitely more noticeable on the passenger side. I popped the hood and did the sniff test... seems to be coming from the passenger side of the engine, but couldn't pinpoint anything. Definitely not dripping any gas, but mileage is a little lower than it should be as well..

Mine is a 2002 LS 430 UL, 137k miles, located in NC. I alternate between 89 and 93 octane, and usually refuel with 1/2 tank or so. The smell is of fresh gas, not exhaust or catalytic like sulfur.
Old 12-19-11, 01:40 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

the lit match test will shorely find the problem,however i would be the last thing you will see.lol, seriously isnt there a evaperator can in the gas tank system?in my s2000 forums people had a vent line clogged and the complaints were the same.
Old 12-20-11, 10:54 AM
Bobzi
Driver School Candidate

- Unburned fresh gas?
- Exhaust gasses?
- A sulphur smell?

Heey caddyyy its defenitly NOT exhause gasses. i think its unburned fresh gas smell. i notice it when i park my car next to the beach and wait for like 10 minute or more. I smell it on the driver side. However, i didnt check on the other sides of the car.

My car is Lexus 2001 LS half Ultra. It has 180K miles on it. I hope you can advise me
Old 12-20-11, 10:55 AM
Bobzi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
the lit match test will shorely find the problem,however i would be the last thing you will see.lol, seriously isnt there a evaperator can in the gas tank system?in my s2000 forums people had a vent line clogged and the complaints were the same.
evaperator can? what is that? man i love cars can you please explain what you said?
Old 12-21-11, 07:27 AM
Milan
Pole Position

...what country/state are you located in? (Aside from av gas and racing fuel, the max octane rating I've seen is 93.)
In Europe it's possible to buy 98 octane but the way the octanes are calculated makes the European figure a little inflated compared to American octane reatings.
Old 12-21-11, 10:52 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

check the fuel pressure regulators, there are two of them, one for each bank of the engine, they are behind the top of the motor near the firewall. My '02 sprung a leak in one of them and gas was shooting out the engine bay. Although yours obviously may not be leaking that much, a small leak can be hard to see but easy to smell.
Old 12-30-11, 07:08 PM
Cabilao
Driver School Candidate

I have the same gas smell issue in my 2006 LS430. Took in to dealership twice. First technician told me it was due to computer not catching up when car was first turn on. I thought the answer was lam. Took in again last week, as the smell was getting worse. They told me that there was no leak in engin or exhaust system, since they can't find a leak, so they can repair it. This afternoon, while driving home the smell was offensive when the car was idling. I am taking the car in again tomorrow.... What can I tell Lexus technician? They confirmed the gas smell but no repair can be done. This is my first Lexus which I bought new in 2006, and I drive almost exclusively. The car has never been in any accidents. Please help.
Old 12-31-11, 09:22 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Cabilao
I have the same gas smell issue in my 2006 LS430. Took in to dealership twice. First technician told me it was due to computer not catching up when car was first turn on. I thought the answer was lam. Took in again last week, as the smell was getting worse. They told me that there was no leak in engin or exhaust system, since they can't find a leak, so they can repair it. This afternoon, while driving home the smell was offensive when the car was idling. I am taking the car in again tomorrow.... What can I tell Lexus technician? They confirmed the gas smell but no repair can be done. This is my first Lexus which I bought new in 2006, and I drive almost exclusively. The car has never been in any accidents. Please help.
Seems you have two choices. One, you could have a serious talk with the service advisor and explain that you need their help in finding and fixing what is obviously a problem. If they tell you they have tried and just don't know what else to do, then you can believe that they will not fix the problem. In that case you need to find another dealer (or more qualified shop) to help you.

I suppose you could contact Lexus directly and ask for their help. Don't see any other options.
Old 01-03-12, 10:06 AM
Frankg2
Driver

Originally Posted by Cabilao
I'm having the exact same problem. Dealer wants to help, but couldn't find the cause. In this case, it's a Toyota dealer though as the nearest Lexus dealer is 2+ hr's away.

Over this past weekend I ran the car with all the various engine compartment covers removed so as to be better able to perform a sniff test if/when the smell returned. It did, and I am now fairly convinced that ancdmd's suggestion could be the cause - the fuel pressure regulator - in my case it would be the one on the passenger side. I can not see any leak, but there is a strong smell of fuel coming from this general area. You can see/sniff this with only the engine cover removed. I'd recommend you do this yourself, and if the smell seems to be coming from this general location then bring it in and 'suggest' this to them. I'm not sure if there's any way to verify this as being the source other than replacing it. Cost for the part on Swell is, IIRC, around $80. Not sure if it's a DIY part or, if not, what the labor would be.
The following users liked this post:
Cinnerman (10-11-22)
Old 01-03-12, 07:02 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Dealer charged me $600 parts and labor to replace both regulators.
Old 01-03-12, 09:15 PM
Frankg2
Driver

Originally Posted by ancdmd
Dealer charged me $600 parts and labor to replace both regulators.
Hmm.. based on Sewell CL pricing;

DAMPER ASSEMBLY, FUEL PRESSURE PULSATION - $69.45 ea (two required)

GASKET (FOR PULSATION DAMPER HOSE) DAMPER SIDE - $1.45 ea (two required)

GASKET (FOR PULSATION DAMPER HOSE) DELIVERY PIPE SIDE - $1.12 ea (two required)

Total Parts: $144.04 plus shipping

Based on the exploded view, it appears to be a fairly easy DIY job (which, of course, means nothing..). Could Lexus actually charge over $400 to install these? Has anyone here done this themselves?
Old 01-04-12, 07:57 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

$600 sucks. But in my situation my car had broke down, I had to get it towed quickly and get to work, and the dealer was nearby, plus I got a loaner. So for the time and effort that I was spared I guess I could say I didn't get screwed tooooooo bad.
Old 01-04-12, 08:08 AM
Frankg2
Driver

Originally Posted by ancdmd
$600 sucks. But in my situation my car had broke down, I had to get it towed quickly and get to work, and the dealer was nearby, plus I got a loaner. So for the time and effort that I was spared I guess I could say I didn't get screwed tooooooo bad.
Sadly, I suspect there is a built-in "screw" factor for any dealer repairs... part of owning a Lexus (or BMW or MB or ...). However, I also wonder if there is more to replacing these things than R&R the parts. Like the time I tried to fix a keyboard... thought it would be easy, removed the metal back and wham, 103 small springs went flying in every direction. Dumbest thing I've ever done... took me FOR-EVER to get them all back into position. That's why I asked if anyone had done this.. sometimes those jobs that appear 'simple' aren't so simple. I'll order the parts regardless, but I still need to determine if this is a true 'user serviceable part' or not.

Quick Reply: Gas Smell