LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Life After LS430?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-11, 11:21 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Life After LS430?

My old back problems are becoming more frequent - especially entering, exiting, and driving the LS430 for more than an hour. I'm afraid that I'm going to have to get back to something taller as the only thing that has really relieved the problem in the past is having a taller seat bottom and upright driving position. As this group of LS430 owners is generally a discerning group, I thought I'd solicit crossover and SUV opinions here first.

I prefer a 5-passenger capacity (7-8 passenger OK, but the rear seat must disappear completely - no GX or LX fold-up seats). Total overall length needs to be under 200 inches, so no Tahoe, Suburban, Expeition, etc. Cooled leather is strongly desired and I'd like something that averages above 20 MPG. I'll probably buy late-model used and lean toward the reliability of Japanese products rather than German. American products other than Chrysler may be considered. The only vehicles that are really on the radar so far are gas or hybrid RX and Highlander models. Other suggestions?
Old 12-14-11, 11:24 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Mazda cx7? Toyota 4runner, volvoxc90 i think its called, Audi q5, mercedes glk, infiniti fx would be near top of the list for me to honest, and the ford edge. Lexus rx350 i definitely recommend. It used to be one of my least favorite cars in the lineup, but not they are something i really do like. They do what they were intended for extremely well.
Old 12-14-11, 11:41 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I love the packaging and layout of the Toyota Venza, it is a tall Camry, short RX.......I like it being a little taller but you don't have to climb up into it.

You can never go wrong with a hybrid RX

Last edited by BNR34; 12-14-11 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-14-11, 11:41 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

my friend just traded in his 08 Highlander for a 2011 Toyota Sienna LE. Im not really a van guy but this vehicle truly impressed me. toyota did a great job with the creature comforts on this car - the leather front seats are like captain chairs and keeps good posture, and the rear seats fold into the floor out of site. He bought the V-6 model and says it has the same HP his Highlander had, and seems much roomier.

far cry from the ol' chrysler minivan back from the 80's lol!
Old 12-14-11, 11:45 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Marklouis
my friend just traded in his 08 Highlander for a 2011 Toyota Sienna LE. Im not really a van guy but this vehicle truly impressed me. toyota did a great job with the creature comforts on this car - the leather front seats are like captain chairs and keeps good posture, and the rear seats fold into the floor out of site. He bought the V-6 model and says it has the same HP his Highlander had, and seems much roomier.

far cry from the ol' chrysler minivan back from the 80's lol!
My co-worker got a 11' Sienna too, I think it is great also.
Old 12-14-11, 12:11 PM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We are looking to get my wife in a Cadillac SRX. It's a nice looking crossover.
Old 12-14-11, 12:23 PM
honeygee2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never thought I would say this but you might want to look at the Kia Sorrento...I recently drove a rental from Pa to Fl and was quite impressed with the vehicle. The V6 is faster than it should be and the ride is great. They have this creamy beige color which is just outstanding with nice wheels. The also make a 4 cylinder with direct gas injection. I thought it was a great car. and would be on my short list for the wife's next car.
Old 12-14-11, 12:24 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer01
We are looking to get my wife in a Cadillac SRX. It's a nice looking crossover.
My last GM vehicle was a leased 06 SRX that spent so much time in the shop that I came to enjoy driving DTS loaners. I hear the new, redesigned ones aren't much more reliable. After 10 GM vehicles in my life, no more GM passenger cars or crossovers for me.
Old 12-14-11, 12:56 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate to say it, but you will likely be a bit disappointed with the RX. I had one as a loaner (a current gen 350) and wanted my LS back as soon as I left the dealership. It sorta drives like a minivan IMO. One crossover that really surprised me was the Mazda CX-7. Got to spend some time driving one and really like how solid/nicely built it was. No creaks/rattles (unlike the RX I had) and the ride was perfect; stiff enough to prevent much body roll but supple enough to glide over bumps. Steering weight/feel was pretty good for a crossover type car. If you get the smaller engine, you should get pretty good MPGs too.
Old 12-14-11, 02:10 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

You are just gonna have to go sit in them to see if they fit you right. I'd try Acura MDX and its clone Honda Pilot. Volvo, Audi, and VW tend to have reputations for nice seating with some variance in reliability.
Old 12-14-11, 02:21 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
You are just gonna have to go sit in them to see if they fit you right. I'd try Acura MDX and its clone Honda Pilot. Volvo, Audi, and VW tend to have reputations for nice seating with some variance in reliability.
My Brother's 08 Honda Pilot has been a great vehicle. kind of a stiff ride though.
Old 12-14-11, 03:27 PM
ok66
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Agree, my 04 MDX still serves me just right for long driving trips.
Old 12-14-11, 06:11 PM
cliffc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had back problems when I first bought my LS430.
Found it was the 2 lumbar support parts of the seat.
I moved the control so there was no support in that area.
No problems since.
Old 12-14-11, 07:29 PM
Vpanin
Pole Position

my dad has a hybrid rx400 06 model. You will be disappointed with it after the ls. Its a nice car but it's very loud under moderate throttle even. I would try the MDX.
Old 12-14-11, 10:14 PM
Frankg2
Driver

I know you said no more GM's (and trust me, I understand that sentiment) but ... you should probably at least take a Buick Enclave for a drive. Really quite comfortable and quiet, with many bells and whistles.

Quick Reply: Life After LS430?