LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Loud bangs followed by white smoke!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-11, 09:08 PM
Fatony
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud bangs followed by white smoke!!

Hi Guys,

Something weird happened yesterday.

I parked the car outside the shop with my wife and kid inside.

When I came out of the shop, i found my wife and kid out of the car and some other shop keepers around the car.

I was like WTF happened here!!...

My wife said she heard repetitive loud bangs and then white smoke started to come out from the front of the car (LS 430 2004).

The shopkeepers said they heard sparks going off and then white smoke (alot) was coming out. One of them quickly turned off the car.

Anyway, i turned it on and everythin seemed normal, no lights flashing on the panel etc. The car worked fine.

After a while i discovered my A/C was not working. So i am guessing that white gas was the AC gas escaping? I feel like its gona cost me to repair some big *** part related to the AC....

Any ideas?

Fatony!
Old 12-10-11, 09:25 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If I had to hazard a guess, you probably lost your compressor. The white "smoke" was probably your "Freon" charge along with the oil that is in the compressor, the bangs might well be something mechanical letting go inside. I had an A/C compressor fail in the identical manner in an Olds Ciera years ago while sitting at a stoplight. It was . . . spectacular.
Old 12-11-11, 01:01 AM
Fatony
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lil4X
If I had to hazard a guess, you probably lost your compressor. The white "smoke" was probably your "Freon" charge along with the oil that is in the compressor, the bangs might well be something mechanical letting go inside. I had an A/C compressor fail in the identical manner in an Olds Ciera years ago while sitting at a stoplight. It was . . . spectacular.
Yes I would guess the same. It was indeed spectacular, my wife said it sounded like fireworks goin off.

Anyway I think it could be the compressor ... what could cause somethin like this?

I had lights on for oxygen sensors for a long time and the mechanic said most lexus owners drive with those defects without any issues....

I hate when stuff like this happens for no reason.

Also i noticed that the screen colour of the nav system changes when i turn on the beam lights.... and the correct colour comes on when i turn off the lights.... its obvious not enough power goin to the nav system but could that have anythin todo with the main issue?

Fatony.
Old 12-11-11, 08:07 AM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I would say it was a hose or the compressor, but you can't forget about the condensor either. I used to have this issue when I had my Evo and the hose would fully pressurize hit my downpipe and pop. I wrapped it in thermal wrap which solved my problem, look around for leaks, it should be somewhat obvious where the hole is.
Old 12-11-11, 08:25 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 293 Likes on 241 Posts

Yo, fatony - Let me get this straight, your car did all of this and what you did was get back in the driver seat, cranked it right back up and drove away like nothing happened, without bothering to even take a peek under the hood?
I just want to get that part right.
Old 12-11-11, 09:50 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sdls
Yo, fatony - Let me get this straight, your car did all of this and what you did was get back in the driver seat, cranked it right back up and drove away like nothing happened, without bothering to even take a peek under the hood?
AND your wife and kid?!
Old 12-11-11, 12:38 PM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default >Loud bangs followed by white smoke!!<

>Loud bangs followed by white smoke!!<

Maybe there's a new Pope ?
Old 12-11-11, 12:44 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ lmao good one
Old 12-11-11, 03:07 PM
Inxtc
Driver School Candidate

was the air on? better get it in to check it out , white smoke .... is not normally from a motor ,more likely its the AC issue
Old 12-11-11, 08:24 PM
Fatony
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sdls
I did take a peek, it was all good unda da hood.

I keep life simple, my homies here told me that lexus talks to u, connects with u, she tells you when she has issues on that space above da steerin wheel. Mine didnt complain so I thot turn it on and lets drive see wat happens.

Been driving it for few days its all gud apart from the AC which isnt working.

And yes the AC was ON while kid and wife in car. Now its not working so my guess was, white smoke = ac gas. Big bangs and sparks = short circuit of somethin ...most likely compressor, il get it checked tonight and report back.

Fatony.
Old 12-12-11, 01:16 AM
radohanno
Rookie

Ano myslím že to odešel duch Lexus. Možná velký manitů.Howg. Porvé jsem slyšel o takové závadě???
Old 12-24-11, 08:21 PM
Fatony
Driver School Candidate

I found out what it is.

It was the compressor and that white gas was the AC gas. Replaced the compressor and all is working fine and the AC is also working well.

Fatony!
Old 12-25-11, 07:11 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What did THAT run you??? Glad you got it squared away!
Old 12-26-11, 10:44 PM
Fatony
Driver School Candidate

$250.... but the mechanic said the type of compressor that was originally put in was a carbon one?? He said I put in a piston one, which is more reliable for hot weather and for this region (dubai).