LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lexus Crashed my car

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-11, 12:25 PM
Leelos
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Crashed my car

Need a little help....Took my car to lexus this morning. Couple of days ago my AFS light came on started flashing off....So i took it to the dealer thinking it would be the rear height sensor. Well 6 hours later lexus calls me and states, we had a little fender bender with your car (which they said they would repair) and also that after an hour of diags (at $126.00) they still don't know whats wrong with it....They beleive it maybe the front head light, but they also wanted another $126.00 for another hour of diags, is this right?
Old 11-30-11, 12:35 PM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

hmm heck no......you only pay one diag fee...its not supposed to be an hourly rate...you better talk to the manager ASAP...thats sound very suspect with that one sorry to say
Old 11-30-11, 12:59 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

If you had an original unblemished car before they damaged it, you should insist on also receiving the "diminished value" compensation as it was totally their fault and now your car is not worth the same as it was before the paintwork.
Old 11-30-11, 01:44 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I'd ask for a meeting with the service manager - my request would be of course damage repaired perfectly but also in addition as a goodwill gesture to you for the hassle and diminished value - 5 free oil changes and they comp any labor for work done on the original problem. Any push back from the service manager I'd just let him know next step is to meet with owner of the dealership to discuss services guys crashing your car.
Old 11-30-11, 01:51 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I'd ask for a meeting with the service manager - my request would be of course damage repaired perfectly but also in addition as a goodwill gesture to you for the hassle and diminished value - 5 free oil changes and they comp any labor for work done on the original problem. Any push back from the service manager I'd just let him know next step is to meet with owner of the dealership to discuss services guys crashing your car.
+1

add: don't be an *** and demand the world. Be reasonable so that they can be reasonable and work things out. Because of the crash, diagnostic and repair should be free. Of course loaner car from them on top of that, LS460 as that would be comparable.
Old 11-30-11, 01:59 PM
Leelos
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by airtime
+1

add: don't be an *** and demand the world. Be reasonable so that they can be reasonable and work things out. Because of the crash, diagnostic and repair should be free. Of course loaner car from them on top of that, LS460 as that would be comparable.
So then would it be unreasonable to ask that they give me the extra hour (126.00) to DX the care for free?
Old 11-30-11, 02:51 PM
Jabberwock

No you should certainly ask that all labor be comped on the current problem (you pay parts) given they crashed your car.

You could certainly ask for a few oil changes, this being a very reasonable request based on them crashing your car. Something like oil change is a good thing to ask for because it costs service dept almost nothing. I have been given free oil change just because they added the bill wrong and another time because they forgot I was waiting. Each time I was very gracious and polite about it but also gently asked for the comp.

I am pretty sure the suggestion was not to make wild or unreasonable demands - like "OK I want a new car", or "I want lifetime free warranty and maintenance" , or "you need to repaint my whole car" etc.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 11-30-11 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-02-11, 10:21 AM
Tony1M
Driver School Candidate

Step 1 - Ask the dealership for a written, signed, statement that describes exactly the details of the crash and resulting damage.

If you actually get that, you're really in the driver's seat.
Old 12-02-11, 10:41 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Angry

Have you seen the damage..???

At this point they shouldn't be asking you for ANY MONEY what so ever...!!!!!

It's like "adding insult to injury"

~ Joe Z
Old 12-02-11, 02:06 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Wow... What was the specific damage to your car? I had two instances and both were taken care of without question or issue. I still paid for the original service with discount and they arranged a cleaner loaner. (Some of those loaners are ) Basically, you shouldn't need to fight over this and they should handle it so you will be pleased. Talk to them and see what their course of action is.
Old 12-02-11, 05:08 PM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet the carfax will state blueprint or accident.. I rather tell them give me another car same as urs... Good Luck
Old 12-04-11, 03:05 AM
Quipper
Driver

I met another Lexus LS owner at a gas station a while back and he told me of a dealership incident he had. He knew something was wrong with his car and he took it in to get the problem diagnosed. He was told he needed 3 large repairs. That didn't seem right to him somehow, so he didn't get the work done, but after a day or two took it back and asked them to look at it again. They came back with a totally different and substantially less expensive repair estimate.

That apparently ticked him off, because had he gotten the work done the first time, he would have needlessly spent thousands. So he talked to the management about what they would do about giving him a bad quote the first time, and they offered some oil changes. When he threatened to tell the news media about the situation, though, they let him get his next major mileage-based service for free, and it was a big and expensive interval too--over $1k. From what I could tell, he didn't raise his voice or act obnoxious, but he did get a major concession by taking a bit of a stand. To me, that's not being a jerk; that's just helping them have great customer service.

OP: If they crashed my car, I'd have high expectations about what they'd need to do to remediate the situation. I've passed over a used car before b/c of slight evidence that it'd been in a small crash. It seems to me that they've just lowered the value of your car by a fair bit, even if it's fixed pretty well.
Old 12-04-11, 05:30 PM
Leelos
Driver School Candidate

update to this story..... Last week when the service guy called to tell me that they crashed the car (11/30), he also told me that he would be going on vacation on monday 12/5......when he called me on friday (12/2) he stated that he and the tech would also be on vacation and that the next time I would hear from them would be 12/12.....it seems a little strange to me that if the tech goes on vacation you just keep the car until he comes back. I mean I have take my car to local garages and they have never kept it for almost 2 weeks.......The part that is really pissing me off is that at this point they my bill is $259.00 and thats not even to fix it!
Old 12-04-11, 05:54 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Umm if a service adviser or tech go on vacation, the repair order doesn't go with them. The work is supposed to get passed on to another tech from that adviser's team or gets passed onto another adviser altogether.
Old 12-04-11, 07:25 PM
Jabberwock

Originally Posted by Leelos
update to this story..... Last week when the service guy called to tell me that they crashed the car (11/30), he also told me that he would be going on vacation on monday 12/5......when he called me on friday (12/2) he stated that he and the tech would also be on vacation and that the next time I would hear from them would be 12/12.....it seems a little strange to me that if the tech goes on vacation you just keep the car until he comes back. I mean I have take my car to local garages and they have never kept it for almost 2 weeks.......The part that is really pissing me off is that at this point they my bill is $259.00 and thats not even to fix it!
Really ....they are on vacation so you just have to wait..if that is accurate these guys are pretty special. Hard to believe this is actually a Lexus dealer. Almost sounds like a reality show spoof, sounds like a gag someone is pulling. Obviously it is not - I don't mean to make light of the poor service.

I would request a meeting with dealership general manger/owner and let them know the current situation and what you have been told - let them know this is 100% unacceptable. Let the general manager/owner know that if you don't get some immediate and significant excellent service your next call has to be to Lexus regional rep - they need to hear this story...its a good one. If the dealer manager does not care about that you are basically hosed - you are just dealing with a rouge dealership that doesn't care about Lexus superb reputation for service. I'd ask the Lexus regional rep if there was another dealer they could recommend.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 12-04-11 at 07:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus Crashed my car