Highway wandering - Page 7 - Club Lexus Forums


Highway wandering

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-02-12, 05:12 PM   #91
Stu
Lexus Test Driver
Thread Starter
 
Stu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: TORONTO, Canada
Posts: 894
Default

dfkd, I appreciate the offer, and but it really won't help much unless you want to switch cars, lol

I have sold the 18" wheels and am looking to sell the Continentals now .... I am going to use 17 inch wheels and tires because the car drives much better on 17s
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-12, 12:24 PM   #92
Stu
Lexus Test Driver
Thread Starter
 
Stu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: TORONTO, Canada
Posts: 894
Default

Update : I am buying 17 inch wheels

I'll likely buy 17 inch V-rated Michelin tires in 225 / 55 / 17 - and wondering I get staggard wheels, will it
improve the car's efforts to drive straight,
have no effect on the wandering, or
( heaven forbid ) make the car's wandering worse.

I found some BBS wheels that have these widths and offsets.
2 front wheels are 17x8 +33 and the 2 rear wheels are - 17x9 +30

My question .... will using staggard 8" and 9" wide wheels have any impact on the car's tendency to "wander "




Thanks for all your help

Last edited by Stu; 02-17-12 at 12:40 PM.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-12, 02:10 PM   #93
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict
 
caddyowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 4,812
Default

I'd like to see what those wheels look like on the car.
caddyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-12, 09:38 AM   #94
Stu
Lexus Test Driver
Thread Starter
 
Stu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: TORONTO, Canada
Posts: 894
Default

they didn't fit .... the front brake caliper is too big and it touched the inside of the spokes !

too bad, they were beautiful wheels.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-12, 10:09 PM   #95
schack
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Iowa
Posts: 24
Default

Just wanted to throw my "2 cents" worth in on the wandering issue. This is something I definitely noticed on my 2001 UL. I put a new set of tires on the car - Michelin Primacy MX V4 225/55 R17-(only because the old ones were worn out) and there was no change. I have since traded for a 2004 LS430 UL and the "on center" feel is much better. My guess is that it is an engineering issue and not a tire/balance/alignment thing.
schack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-12, 10:52 PM   #96
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator
iTrader: (2)
 
mitsuguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: AZ
Posts: 6,373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schack View Post
Just wanted to throw my "2 cents" worth in on the wandering issue. This is something I definitely noticed on my 2001 UL. I put a new set of tires on the car - Michelin Primacy MX V4 225/55 R17-(only because the old ones were worn out) and there was no change. I have since traded for a 2004 LS430 UL and the "on center" feel is much better. My guess is that it is an engineering issue and not a tire/balance/alignment thing.
Was the alignment ever checked and diagnosed at all?

In general, if everyone that had an 01 had that issue, there would definitely be more than just a couple people complaining about it on CL...

If the car is wandering, there is a mechanical reason for it that can be repaired by bringing the vehicle back to OEM spec, whether it is an alignment issue or if it is because of a worn bushing somewhere...
mitsuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-12, 07:12 AM   #97
ONMYLVL
Driver School Candidate
 
ONMYLVL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MI
Posts: 24
Default

i didn't read every page, but my best guess to take care of the problem is to get your toe a little closer to zero. not at zero, but you only need a very small amount of toe in. maybe half of what you have or somewhere close to that. wandering is mostly caused by toe problems, and the tires (including compound, section width, and sidewall hight) that you have. but of course there are many other things that could cause problems, such as sloppy ball joints, tie rods, bushings, or anything else that moves with the suspension.
ONMYLVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-12, 08:37 AM   #98
Bocatrip
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fl
Posts: 1,652
Default

I have a 2001 LS430 and although the car does not wander, it does require some very slight steering wheel adjustments while driving on the highway to keep the car straight. I have primacys and the alignment is right on. I assumed this was due to the nature of the car. I would not call the steering sloppy, but not the precise feel I have with my Infiniti G35 or a BMW. There are no wear issues on my tires. We are talking about driving a boat here and I would think it is not going to have precise dead on steering found in a sports car. Am I wrong to feel this way? By the way.....There is zero play in the steering standing still and turning the wheel side to side. The front end was inspected with no issues.
Bocatrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-12, 09:51 AM   #99
schack
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Iowa
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocatrip View Post
I have a 2001 LS430 and although the car does not wander, it does require some very slight steering wheel adjustments while driving on the highway to keep the car straight. I have primacys and the alignment is right on. I assumed this was due to the nature of the car. I would not call the steering sloppy, but not the precise feel I have with my Infiniti G35 or a BMW. There are no wear issues on my tires. We are talking about driving a boat here and I would think it is not going to have precise dead on steering found in a sports car. Am I wrong to feel this way? By the way.....There is zero play in the steering standing still and turning the wheel side to side. The front end was inspected with no issues.
This is very similar to the experience I was having with my 2001 LS and was pretty sure there were no tire/alignment/suspension issues. When I got my 2004 LS, I noticed marked improvement in the on-center/tracking of the car as compared to the 2001 model. I know there were engineering changes beginning with the 2004 model, so I just assumed what I was noticing was one of them.
schack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-12, 01:32 PM   #100
Stu
Lexus Test Driver
Thread Starter
 
Stu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: TORONTO, Canada
Posts: 894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONMYLVL View Post
..... wandering is mostly caused by toe problems, and the tires (including compound, section width, and sidewall hight) that you have. but of course there are many other things that could cause problems, such as sloppy ball joints, tie rods, bushings, or anything else that moves with the suspension.
I agree completely.

The toe was deliberately set that way to help the car track straighter - it helped, it wears the tires faster - but I had to do something !

An LS will never steer like a BMW or an Audi or any sports car, but it should be fairly effortless to drive long highway drives. Mine isn't yet. I sold my 18 inch wheels because the car wandered worse on them, and am buying ( probably) 17s with Michelin Primacy v-rated 225/55/17s in a couple of months

I'm sure in my case, there are some worn parts somewhere, and thanks to some suggestions earlier in this long thread, and the PMs rec'd, I will get a few things checked, again, and hope this gets fixed.

If I can live with the car after, I will keep it, if not ..... sadly, its gone. Sad only because I waited 20 years to buy this car.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-12, 01:48 PM   #101
sojah
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (1)
 
sojah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: JP (oki to be precise :D)
Posts: 4,913
Default

i just put my stock (17") wheels/tires back on in a random order and i really notice some wandering for the first time ever. hopefully once my tires start to get used to their current their positioning this will improve.
sojah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 12:17 PM   #102
Stu
Lexus Test Driver
Thread Starter
 
Stu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: TORONTO, Canada
Posts: 894
Default

UPDATE

Firstly, thanks to EVERYONE who posted here to help me with my problem. I appreciate it very much.

Today the snows came off and I put on new 17 X 7.5 inch wheels with a 40 offset and 4 new Michelin Primacy V-rated 225/55 tires. Car drives properly now, no wandering at all, very smooth and quiet.

As many of you thought, the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires were the problem.
I'll be driving on Michelin tires for as long as I own this car.

Thanks again everyone !
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 11:07 PM   #103
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (22)
 
GS4_Fiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 6,665
Default

tire pressure, bad tire, uneven wear, road crown, tie rod, sway bar/bushings, other suspension parts should be checked.
GS4_Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-12, 08:40 AM   #104
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
BNR34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: So Cal
Posts: 6,852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
UPDATE

Firstly, thanks to EVERYONE who posted here to help me with my problem. I appreciate it very much.

Today the snows came off and I put on new 17 X 7.5 inch wheels with a 40 offset and 4 new Michelin Primacy V-rated 225/55 tires. Car drives properly now, no wandering at all, very smooth and quiet.

As many of you thought, the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires were the problem.
I'll be driving on Michelin tires for as long as I own this car.

Thanks again everyone !
wow really, just the tires huh?

Thank you for letting us know the conclusion of the source of your problem

The DWS you had was probably a bad batch, because I drive on the cheapest tire I can find and have no issue.
BNR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 11:53 AM   #105
white430s
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: FL
Posts: 5
Exclamation Highway Float Solution!!!

I had the issue of high speed float...after I put new tires on my 06 LS430 Sport. The tire store did a bad job of balancing them. The car's extremely smooth ride would mask the issue around town but at highway speeds, it translated into a scary floating of the car. I did not know until I brought it back to the tire store and complained. I suggested they might be over inflated. An hour later, the car was ready to go with a diagnosis of "out of balance" and an apology. The Goodyear Assurance Comfort Touring V rated tires have been flawless for a year now with no other issues. I have attained highway speeds in excess of 90 with out a hint of wander. Before that I was terrified to go over 70.
white430s is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2001 GS 300 Need Help irish1020 GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) 1 04-24-15 11:31 AM
My Experience with Steering Shimmy, ADUS 207 Poly Rack Bushings, and Wheel Balancing BayAreaLex Suspension and Brakes 8 01-02-15 09:35 PM
Always out of Alignment !!! PhantomV GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) 16 10-13-14 11:43 AM
Just purchased CPO ES - trouble with steering/alignment nivla ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) 6 06-29-11 06:56 AM
Bent Rim? or Alignment? jhp012 ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) 5 11-09-07 02:20 PM


Tags
2006, alignment, auto, car, grooves, gs300, highway, information, lexus, ls430, ls460, manufacturers, report, road, steering, wander, wandering

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:43 PM.


Copyright © 2000-2016 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved