LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Highway wandering

Old 06-04-14, 02:12 PM
TSA1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone in an another thread mentioned that their wandering was caused by "rear A- arm bushings" but I cannot find these bushings part number. Is it the entire A-arm that must be replaced or could he have meant the control arm bushings?

My car still wanders lol
Old 06-04-14, 02:19 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

they are available as aftermarket replacements through some companies, through others, the whole arm must be replaced...
Old 06-04-14, 02:28 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Lower control arm bushings are probably what is meant.
Old 06-04-14, 03:20 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu
The story continues .... Some of you will recall that my LS wouldn't drive straight without wandering all over the road. I replaced my 18" wheels, got 3 sets of new tires, had 4 wheel alignments and replaced the steering bushings and while the car drove a bit better, it still was not satisfactory. The car reached 90,000 miles and the wandering remained. I drove the car but my enjoyment was diminished.

Took it an hour outside the city to a guy who sets up Time Attack race cars to see if he could find the problem and he checked every single item you guys identified. He went over the entire suspension and reported everything was fine. He did a 4 wheel alignment and said the rear was just barely in spec .... and he was able to adjust it. (The rear camber was, as all of you said, was not that bad ) He concluded that if the alignment didn't fix it completely he would look at the variable speed assisted power steering unit ( I think he said it runs on a vacuum ) if I was able to locate the "variable speed power steering diagnostics"

The car drove well on the way home and I will be absolutely amazed if it does not need to go back to him in the spring to fix the variable speed assisted power steering unit. Time will tell. But .... if all it needed all this time was a competent alignment .... and all 3 prior alignments were bad, I may have to break a few faces, lol

Can anyone tell me where I can find the "variable speed power steering diagnostics". I would like to print it out so I can bring it to him IF needed

This story may actually have a happy ending
Since 2011 when u first posted the issue, u never took it to the dealer to have them align it? Only third party repair shops?
Old 06-04-14, 04:59 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Yes, I took the car to my local Lexus dealer, Lexus on the Park, which happens to be their flagship store in Toronto. In retrospect, their advise was just an attempt to make themselves money ....

They put the car on the alignment rack and told me the rear camber was out of spec, and the aftermarket wheels should be replaced with OEM wheels. They quoted me $1,500 to get the rear camber into alignment and another $1,600 for OEM wheels. After this was done THEN, if the wandering was not solved, they would start to diagnose the wandering issue.

In the end, the car just needed a proper alignment, which I had a lot of trouble getting, even from a Lexus dealer !!!!

By the way the car drives perfect now
Old 06-04-14, 05:09 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu
Yes, I took the car to my local Lexus dealer, Lexus on the Park, which happens to be their flagship store in Toronto. In retrospect, their advise was just an attempt to make themselves money ....

They put the car on the alignment rack and told me the rear camber was out of spec, and the aftermarket wheels should be replaced with OEM wheels. They quoted me $1,500 to get the rear camber into alignment and another $1,600 for OEM wheels. After this was done THEN, if the wandering was not solved, they would start to diagnose the wandering issue.

In the end, the car just needed a proper alignment, which I had a lot of trouble getting, even from a Lexus dealer !!!!

By the way the car drives perfect now
So glad it all worked out for u in the end!!
Old 06-12-14, 12:21 AM
UniqueTII
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Lower control arm bushings are probably what is meant.
I'm thinking that same thing...I plan on upgrading the rear bushings on the front LCAs to see if that helps. I just did the same thing to my Legacy GT as well.
Old 06-12-14, 09:27 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by UniqueTII
I'm thinking that same thing...I plan on upgrading the rear bushings on the front LCAs to see if that helps. I just did the same thing to my Legacy GT as well.
What do you mean by upgrading? Polyurethane?
Old 06-12-14, 09:57 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah. Overall, poly has a bad rep in the LS400 and 430. Kills the ride quality. Especially in the front. The Roca bushings are not poly to my knowledge.
Old 06-12-14, 12:19 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Yeah. Overall, poly has a bad rep in the LS400 and 430. Kills the ride quality. Especially in the front. The Roca bushings are not poly to my knowledge.
Thank you.

Polyurethane bushings definitely kills the ride quality, not to mention they make a squeaking noise, is ok on a race car, not on a luxury sedan like the LS.

Last edited by BNR34; 06-12-14 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-12-14, 07:30 PM
LEXLUIS
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow amazing and great things to keep in mind on this post.

The bottom line is just a proper alignment, now I wonder how many shops have their equipment calibrated on a regular basis.

Old 06-16-14, 01:08 AM
UniqueTII
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BNR34
What do you mean by upgrading? Polyurethane?
Yeah, I'm okay with a bit of NVH but if they're too bad I'll change them back. I have an IS350, but I still don't want too rough of a ride. I'll also be putting new tires on there because of the uneven wear on my Continental DWSes.
Old 07-29-14, 11:30 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Do you guys think its necessary to take a UL with bags to the dealer for a allignment? I have a UL I just bought and it wanders to the right, it feels like its really out of alignment. How much does a alignment at the dealer run, maybe $120ish?
Old 07-29-14, 01:20 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think it is necessary to have the dealer do it but often they will price match. $80 - $100 is the going rate in my area.
Old 08-13-14, 01:58 AM
UniqueTII
Driver School Candidate

I installed my LCA bushings along with new F Sport shocks and sways, had my new tires installed and had the car aligned and I'm still not happy with how this car tracks. Has anyone been able to come up with the alignment settings that will resolve this issue?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Highway wandering