LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

05LS430 driver's side rear vanity mirror

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-11, 08:13 AM
skassamali
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05LS430 driver's side rear vanity mirror

I managed to find an LS430 for parts on ebay and replaced the clip in my rear vanity mirror and everything works now! Saved $200!

I have my old mirror - the mirror stays up and the lights work...it's just takes a little more effort to make it come down.

If anyone needs it for parts or anything, let me know. It's the beige/tan interior.
Old 03-23-13, 08:21 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I need one of these! my driver's side rear vanity is stuck open and the lights never turn off! I am now taping it shut but it doesn't stay closed. what a nightmare. the dealer wants $450 which I will never pay. No one ever uses it!
Old 03-25-13, 09:25 PM
Rowdiggty
Rookie

I also need one, The clip is broke on my passenger side. Its black interior with the gray headliner...
could you do a write up of the removal and install?
Old 03-25-13, 09:35 PM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh my push button is broken as well. This could be helpful
Old 03-26-13, 10:25 AM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

My rear passenger one doesn't open without being pried open. I have a gray UL suede headliner.
Old 04-02-13, 09:13 PM
marktmark
Driver School Candidate

Default Rear vanity mirror fixed

I think I just fixed the rear passenger vanity mirror.

Symptoms
* Mirror would not open, had to use small screwdriver to pry it open
* Mirror would then not close, had to slam it in several times, and it finally closed

Findings
* Took it apart using instructions found here -- Thank You!
* The clip was broken into 3 pieces (several people mentioned the same issue, with someone using superglue, but it fell apart after installation)

Fix (still working after testing opening/closing 30+ times after installation)
* Glued the 3 pieces together with JB Weld epoxy (picked up at Wal-mart)
* Waited 24 hours to cure
* Cleaned up extra epoxy with x-acto knife
* Used a drill-bit to clean epoxy out the hole (so pin can fit back in)

I hope it helps someone else -- sure beats buying a new mirror.

-Mark
Old 04-03-13, 09:43 AM
choiceISF
Driver School Candidate

WOW, i'm a newb and i'm finding everything i need to know here!
thanks guys.
Old 06-06-13, 12:03 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

I fixed mine today. It's very easy to take apart, just don't lose any pieces. marktmark described it perfectly but once you take it apart it's pretty self explanatory. Just need some super glue and you're good to go. My pin didn't fit so I used a large staple from a staple gun and it works fine.
Old 06-19-14, 06:34 AM
HeresJonny
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Epoxy fix worked, but trouble with reinstall

Hey guys, new to Lexus, LS430, and CL in the past 2 months or so -- loving it all so far. I realize this is an old thread, but it appears to be the only one on the topic, and I'm hoping someone might be able to assist.

My 2004 had the same issue with the passenger-side rear vanity mirror, and Lexus quoted me $400+ to replace the whole unit. I was able to disassemble/remove the unit, epoxy the broken clip (with Loctite Instant Mix Epoxy), and put the unit back together following instructions found here. My issue is that I can't seem to get the actual light part of the unit reinstalled.

The whole unit is 3 main pieces -- the mirror/frame, the light bulb board, and the light cover. The mirror/frame piece of the unit goes right back into the ceiling no problem, but when I try to install the light bulb board, I'm not able to get the plug lined up correctly with the metal prong in the ceiling. I already blew the fuse once, and now I'm worried about bending/breaking the metal prong, which appears to be built into the ceiling. It seems like the prong needs to be bent and pushed into the end of the plug somehow during the reinstall, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that.

Perhaps marktmark, chrispy, or someone else who has done this can chime in on the reinstall process? Thanks!
Old 06-24-14, 12:38 PM
HeresJonny
Driver School Candidate

Anybody out there?
Old 07-09-14, 08:32 AM
HeresJonny
Driver School Candidate

Following up again
Old 07-12-14, 04:20 PM
Natey2
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

These are the annoying little gadgets in a luxury car that fail/break over time, and become an expensive Dealer fix, if we can't fix it easily ourselves.
I wish the LS430 had no rear vanity mirror with lights. The only person playing with that is my kid, and guess what happens after a while when a kid plays with it...

Sent from an Android device using IB Automotive Group forum reader.
Old 09-19-14, 11:28 AM
HeresJonny
Driver School Candidate

At long last, an update on this situation: my re-installation difficulties were caused by a flawed process. The aforementioned mirror/frame piece of the unit and the light bulb board need to be combined before being put back into the ceiling. This alleviated the issue of the prong not fitting when trying to plug it in.

One exciting aspect of my final solution: the epoxy gave way after just a few presses of the button, so I ended up 3D printing a new clip. I designed it from scratch using 123D software and measurements taken by hand from the broken clip. Had to print 4 before getting the dimensions exactly right, and now it's as good as new.

Hopefully someone finds this helpful.
Old 09-06-15, 09:16 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HeresJonny
At long last, an update on this situation: my re-installation difficulties were caused by a flawed process. The aforementioned mirror/frame piece of the unit and the light bulb board need to be combined before being put back into the ceiling. This alleviated the issue of the prong not fitting when trying to plug it in.

One exciting aspect of my final solution: the epoxy gave way after just a few presses of the button, so I ended up 3D printing a new clip. I designed it from scratch using 123D software and measurements taken by hand from the broken clip. Had to print 4 before getting the dimensions exactly right, and now it's as good as new.

would you care to print more for your CL brothers?
Old 12-09-21, 01:10 AM
LowkeyLS
10th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HeresJonny

​​​​​​​
Bumping this from the dead. I recently purchased a UL and witnessed the dealer break my drivers side rear vanity and he tried to demonstrate how it worked 😡. Anyway he threw the clip out and wedged a piece of paper in there. Now I don’t even have a clip to epoxy back together. “Here’s Johnny” if you’re somehow still out there I would love if I could purchase a spare if you happened to make any? I’ve searched everywhere online for just that piece to no avail. Thanks in advance
The following users liked this post:
treehan77 (02-03-22)

Quick Reply: 05LS430 driver's side rear vanity mirror