LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Michelin Tire Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-11, 04:10 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Michelin Tire Issue

Hi friends, I am posting this question after looking over the achieves in order to get your latest opinions. About two weeks ago I bought a new set of Michelin Primacy MXV4's for my 2006 LS Ultra. The worn out set of Michelin MXV4's they replaced rode better and were quieter than these Primacy tires. What was once a quiet car now sounds like my 4 wheel drive truck. My local Lexus dealer installed the new tires and all was correct right down to the air pressure. I do not know what the problem is but Michelin has agreed to replace them. It has been suggested I replace them with the Pilot MXV4. My top priority here is a quiet comfortable ride like the car once had. Does anyone have an opinion to share on this? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-07-11, 06:32 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmm, very strange. My Primacies are pretty quiet. I'm surprised by this. I think the pilots would be even louder.
Old 10-07-11, 07:16 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
Hmm, very strange. My Primacies are pretty quiet. I'm surprised by this. I think the pilots would be even louder.
I have seen so many different opinions on this that I am beginning to believe each Primacy tire is different. I have heard creditable sources say they are loud and others say they are quiet. I tried to have a conversation with someone at Michelin today,,,,have you tried that lately?? They know nothing and when you try to email them they do not allow you more than a couple of sentences. I have always been a loyal customer but this is a bad sign. I am not going to hand over $1,000 to a company I cannot talk with. The guy I spoke with was from another country and knew nothing about the road conditions here or tires in general. As hard as we both tried we could barely communicate. Again, a bad sign.
Old 10-07-11, 07:32 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

My new Primacy tires seemed loud at first (compared to Dunlop OEM tires they replaced) but got a lot quieter after 250 miles or so. Now at 6k miles they seem very quiet but it maybe I just got used to how they sound.
Old 10-07-11, 07:56 PM
cpcc
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My primacies are one of the quietest tires I have owned
Old 10-07-11, 09:02 PM
oxonian007
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I swapped the lackluster Bridgestones on my 2008 Honda Civic with Primacies. Best decision ever. That car had a tendency to be loud and the minute I put on the Primacies, the noise lessened.

I got them (nearly new) on my 2004 LS430 and find them to be similarly quiet and predictable. My colleague currently has them on a 2006 Accord and feels the same way.
Old 10-08-11, 04:34 AM
99LSBrad
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard they do have a break-in period of about 200 miles. Primacy's were on my car when I bought it last July and they are some of the quietest, best riding tires I have ever had.
Old 10-08-11, 12:18 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by cpcc
My primacies are one of the quietest tires I have owned
+1 I would be more than certain the Pilots are going to have more noise, especially when the miles start accumulating.
Old 10-08-11, 12:23 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

you need to break these tires in.it will get much better.
Old 10-08-11, 10:24 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
you need to break these tires in.it will get much better.
Jim, At first I thought the same but I cannot run that risk as Michelin's return policy expires in 30 days. I have 700+ miles on this set now. All the Michelin tires I have purchased in the past 25 years have not needed a break in period. When Michelins start needing a breaking in period I will look to another brand for the first time ever, except for in the case my special interest cars which Michelin does not offer a tire.
I remember buying Michelin in the old days and having to have them trued then and there to work out the imperfections. You would actually buy the tire then pay them to cut off rubber you have just paid for. With today's technology that has become a thing of the past. I will not go back to those days with prices being what they are now.
I suspect since everyone seems to be getting such differing results that there must be a design flaw, perhaps some tires are being manufactured in a different location with some factor producing a different result.
In the achieves one member describes the noise as a hollow roar. I think he is hearing the same noise I am describing as sounding like the tires on a 4x4 pickup.
Old 10-08-11, 10:33 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

You want quiet tires? Get Bridgestone Turanzas or Serenity.
Old 10-09-11, 05:00 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

DNC - if you have 750 miles on them they should be broken in - if the noise is still there there may be a problem with that set of tires or batch - I'd get rid of them while you can.
Old 10-09-11, 05:54 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

If they agreed to replace them what was the reason? I spoke with the lead tech at the Toyota dealer and he felt Michelins where the easiest tire they have to balance and keep balanced and he buys no other brand personally. The tire rated above the MXV4 on tire rack is Comfortred Touting. they are 1 and 2. Maybe they have changed the formula or location built but I usually. I think I called Michelin also and was on hold so long I hung up.
Old 10-09-11, 08:07 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by DNC
I have seen so many different opinions on this that I am beginning to believe each Primacy tire is different. I have heard creditable sources say they are loud and others say they are quiet. I tried to have a conversation with someone at Michelin today,,,,have you tried that lately?? They know nothing and when you try to email them they do not allow you more than a couple of sentences. I have always been a loyal customer but this is a bad sign. I am not going to hand over $1,000 to a company I cannot talk with. The guy I spoke with was from another country and knew nothing about the road conditions here or tires in general. As hard as we both tried we could barely communicate. Again, a bad sign.
Michelin tires have always been priced very high, but that's what I mostly bought. But when the quality is inconsistent this premium is not justified. I'd return the tires as soon as possible.

I resisted this boards consistent advise and bought Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires. The ride is very whisper quiet and smooth and less expensive than the Michelins. The Continentals, I believe also deliver a longer tread life. I think have purchased my last Michelin tires.

( I tied a set of inexpensive Hancook tires in a 235/55/18 on my LS and were they smooth in quiet beyond my wildest expectation, but I lost too much steering response and had them removed after 3 weeks.)
Old 10-09-11, 09:22 AM
davelex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's just amazing how opinions can differ. I put the Conti DWS on my LS 430 and have the Primacy's on my LS 400. While the Conti's are fairly quiet on most surfaces they have a pronounced noise on some very smooth newer blacktop roads. This is very annoying . Overall, mine are not as quiet as the Primacy's.

My biggest beef with the DWS's is the flatspotting. It takes more than 10 miles for them to completely smooth out. Sitting more than a couple of hours and they're bumpy again. They've also had to be rebalanced at about 1K miles and are slightly out again at 3K. I wish I had bought the Michelins now.

Last edited by davelex; 10-09-11 at 09:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Michelin Tire Issue