LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Michelin Tire Issue

Old 10-31-11, 07:14 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Not to be redundant I had 50 k on the assurance comfortred and they where fine I did not notice a big difference when I went to the Primacy H. After the Primacy I when I with the new upgraded Comfortred Touring they are better than the primacy these tires are sweet. Family sale this weekend at Sears(xtra 10 % off) plus 160 dollar rebate.
Old 10-31-11, 08:58 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Maybe I am missing something but why would you go back to a tire that was noisey at "a couple oil changes shy of 28k", had flat spots that disappeared after a mile or so and where really annoying? I never have problems with Michelins and Goodyears and they last usually the warrantee period. THX Warm
Old 11-01-11, 06:45 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless you have a sound meter to measure it objectively, everyone is going to think differently of the sound level. I just got the Primacy coming from Contipro Contacts and they are about the same. the Cl with dual pane glass is so quiet I can't make out much noise from anything.
Old 11-01-11, 07:42 AM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any car I have with Michelin tires on it will develop flat spots if it sits for a couple of days. They quickly work themselves out. This is only happening with Michelin's I have purchased in the past 5 years.

Last edited by DNC; 11-01-11 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-01-11, 12:53 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

tech info on flatspotting:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=42
Old 11-01-11, 05:57 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Standard

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I thought standard size rim for an LS430 was 17". Did they stock 16" rims OEM from the factory on the 04 LS?
I have the standard 17" 6-spoke wheel with my LS. I had gotten a '02 16" three years ago to mount Blizzak tires on and after three seasons, I decided that I never really drove my LS in snow anyway, and with an RX and MDX sitting around, I doubt I'll ever need to drive my LS in snow anyway, so I swapped out to Primacy with the 16" to give it a try. Honestly, very quiet but too floaty. I'll be going back to 17" after this set wears out.

Hey, the 17" would have been $184, while the 16" were $150.
Old 11-05-11, 11:51 PM
DNC
Advanced

I drove my car today for the first time since the dealership changed out the Primacy tires and replaced them with the Pilots. The Pilots are not as quiet as the old MXV4 they replaced but they are much quieter the Primacy.
I hope my experience isn't an indication of where Michelin is headed. Some of us still want a soft ride and as little noise as possible.
Old 11-06-11, 05:16 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the update! Did the Pilots seem to be crisper/handle better than the MXV4's and the Primacies?

The MXM4 rated the best of four on TireRack in their testing,

MXM4, Conti Procontact, GY Comfortred Touring, Serenity on Tirerack so the MXM4 must be there quiet cruiser now(not sure what size they tested). Too bad it was not in your size
Old 11-06-11, 06:31 AM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Thanks for the update! Did the Pilots seem to be crisper/handle better than the MXV4's and the Primacies?

The MXM4 rated the best of four on TireRack in their testing,

MXM4, Conti Procontact, GY Comfortred Touring, Serenity on Tirerack so the MXM4 must be there quiet cruiser now(not sure what size they tested). Too bad it was not in your size
I do not think I have had enough experience yet to give you an opinion beyond they do not have the roar of the Primacies. I will post more later when I have had a more experience. What puzzles me most about this enitre ordeal is a number of people got completely different results with both of these tires and we are all driving the same car. I believe each owner reported what they experienced but for whatever reason those experiences were often different. For me the Primacies looked like truck tires and rode like truck tires. What bothers me the most is the person I reached in Michelin management seems to believe the days of the quiet Michelin are gone, at least in this class of tire for the time being.
Old 11-06-11, 07:35 AM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are lots of Michelin Pilots and they're very different from one another. Which do you have, the Pilot Primacy, Pilot MXM4, Pilot Exalto, Pilot Sport...?
Old 11-06-11, 07:54 AM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by thinkin
There are lots of Michelin Pilots and they're very different from one another. Which do you have, the Pilot Primacy, Pilot MXM4, Pilot Exalto, Pilot Sport...?
Pilot HX MXV4
Old 11-14-13, 01:16 PM
ok66
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DNC
Pilot HX MXV4
How are those Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires work out for you? Anyone else uses them on our cars, and what do you think? I'm thinking about getting those on my 18". Thanks.
Old 11-14-13, 01:37 PM
hms09
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just came off of a set of Primacy MXV4s and put on a new set of the same. The old ones were smooth and quiet which is why I wanted another set of the same. The new ones are just as smooth and quiet. I think your situation is unusual for the MXV4. I would return them for a new set.
Old 11-14-13, 01:59 PM
ok66
Rookie

Originally Posted by ok66
How are those Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires work out for you? Anyone else uses them on our cars, and what do you think? I'm thinking about getting those on my 18". Thanks.
Oops, my bad. DNC had Pilot HX MXV4 on, not "Pilot HX MXM4".

Anyone has experience with 18" Pilot HX MXM4 on our cars? Thanks
Old 02-09-14, 05:28 PM
lloyd1981
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DNC
Hi friends, I am posting this question after looking over the achieves in order to get your latest opinions. About two weeks ago I bought a new set of Michelin Primacy MXV4's for my 2006 LS Ultra. The worn out set of Michelin MXV4's they replaced rode better and were quieter than these Primacy tires. What was once a quiet car now sounds like my 4 wheel drive truck. My local Lexus dealer installed the new tires and all was correct right down to the air pressure. I do not know what the problem is but Michelin has agreed to replace them. It has been suggested I replace them with the Pilot MXV4. My top priority here is a quiet comfortable ride like the car once had. Does anyone have an opinion to share on this? Thanks in advance.
I have used Michelins for about thirty five years. First on a Chevrolet Impala 454 sedan, through a Mercedes 500 SEL (sorry - edited because spell checker has a mind of its own), and now on both a 2009 and 2012 ES350. First, there is about a 500 mile break-in. (My M-B tires were always the highest speed and heat level and I was lectured by a French factory rep about break-in and "time to adjust" periods back in 1986.)

Since this is my first post here, and I found my way by Google since my dealer supplied me with neither warranty book or instructions, I think some folks are not properly informed.

I took six months to study every aspect of the four versions of the MXV4 and a couple of other options, but kept coming back to the MXM4. Had to fight for a price and to convince them that that was what wanted. The first 50 miles or so, there was a little humming. And when exiting the car, you could smell the "hot rubber" smell. After the first 50 miles, now beginning to smooth out. Side grip is great. (Don't drive these cars like I did the 500.) The mechanic for two M-B and a BMW 528i always counseled to take time to let them break in, particularly the "heavier" the tire. If you don't spend the extra money for all-wheel alignment and have the rims inspected for any wear that might cause off-center dynamic rotation, you are not taking care of business.

I think the MXV4 is a great tire. Hope it will serve you well.

Last edited by lloyd1981; 02-09-14 at 05:31 PM. Reason: correct spell checker mis-corrections

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Michelin Tire Issue