LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

I am really REALLY starting to hate my "navigation"

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-11, 07:36 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Angry I am really REALLY starting to hate my "navigation"

A couple of days ago I'm using the Navi to get home. I have the half map/half turn list screen on. The directions shown on the screen look correct, as I recognize the route. Good to go right? WRONG! The freaking Nav decides to change routes on the fly sending me on wild goose chase only to go out of my way, to come back to the same highway. WTF! I wasn't really paying attention and when I heard the BING BING, I simply followed the directions, only to find that the route had completely changed to a maze of streets instead of the Highway. I was so ready to put my fist through the screen! I nearly lost it but I had my niece in the car Admittedly, my nav disc is ancient, 4.1 But why should that effect the logic of the route, en route?? I mean, the disc was able to find the correct route for the trip, but switched while I was already on the highway. That makes no sense to me. That should have NOTHING to do with the Logic. I simply cannot trust this thing anymore.

BTW- 11.1 is now out for 169.00. A new lower price. I guess Lexus realizes that their discs were so freaking expensive compared to a garmin, they needed to stay in the game. Not sure if I will buy the 11.1 because I don't think it will solve my problem. My nav is a POS. There I said it.

Last edited by Lust4Lexus; 10-04-11 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-04-11, 08:16 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm really old school and don't even try to use the factory screen or my Garmin for navigation. I usually just get either display messed up and end up paying too much attention to it. This weekend, I needed to verify where my son's new house was located and I printed out a Mapquest map at home and took it with me in the Prius. I know, pitiful.
Old 10-04-11, 09:07 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

I try not to fully rely on my nav system. I'll do a little research online (Mapquest) before I go somewhere far and unfamiliar. I have the 2010 disc and it has been accurate. It may be time to change your 7 yr old disk. Look online for sales on the 2010 disk for deep discounts.
Old 10-04-11, 09:18 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

it sounds like you may have side streets programmed in instead of interstate,check your settings.
Old 10-04-11, 10:40 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

I'll check, but it makes no sense that it would be set perfectly, and then switch in the middle of the trip.
Old 10-04-11, 03:08 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i noticed this once on a new section of I-95 North of Baltimore. the navi didn't know i was on the highway all of the sudden when the road veered to the right about 20 feet to a new stretch of asphalt and was insisting i was going the wrong way suddenly..

if anyone here has ever tried it is funny to be in the baltimore tunnel going towards annapolis from north of B-more on I-95 and being under all that water and the navi is insisting that you take the next right and make a U-turn...

on the other hand my smart-ish 2.3 android phone using the newest version of the constantly updated google maps app always seems to take me directly through dc making 37 turns when it could have had me stay on the main highway and drive about 1.2 miles further and get there about 20 minutes quicker, but i can't figure out how to get it to shortest time and not shortest distance.
Old 10-04-11, 04:29 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine works well for the most part, but I experience the wild goose chase every now and then. It is very frustrating, esp in a new area. On my way up to my first yr of med school this fall (a drive from my home in MI to North Chicago IL), it told me to merge right way too late and caused me to miss my exit that takes me into Chicago. I ended up in a very shady area and circled around for a while. Ordered a new disk, hopefully it will be better lol. I would suggest an update (maybe it just didn't have some streets so it took you on a wild alt route).
Old 10-05-11, 04:55 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

The new Garmins have a lane assist feature that tells you what lane to be well before any upcoming turns or exits. And for many expressway exits and splits/merges in big cities the unit displays a high resolution graphic (looks like a photograph) that shows the actual exit and displays the lanes that work for that exit. If you haven't used one of the latest Garmin units it takes an actual demo to understand how truly superior it is to the old style units - a multitude of features, voice command, and super high resolution bright screen.

Using it driving to Yosemite last month was fun, it had pretty detailed maps of the park, up to date real time speed limit display, and also showed altitude going up and down as we drove the roads going into and out of the park.
Old 10-05-11, 07:32 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

i had no issues with my nav going through the 895 or the 95 tunnel.i grown up off the exit moravia rd,last exit before paying toll.denwood ave.

Last edited by jimbosr1; 10-05-11 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-06-11, 07:47 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

In old urban areas, the navi is pretty much dead-on. Sometimes it doesn't know if a street has switched from one-way to two-way, etc., but 95% of the time, it's correct. It doesn't always make the smartest decision, though. If any road work was done, the navi won't know. Eventhough it's "updated" annually, that mainly means new roads were added. But old roads weren't fixed. Where I live, it doesn't know about one of the entrances to my tract. Also, in the next tract a few miles down the road, all the streets are off by making 200 ft (the entire map is offset from truth). Toyota should use information from Google Maps to update their navi discs (and better yet, split the screen and show pictures of the buildings).
Old 10-07-11, 12:24 AM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i upgraded mine to a 10.1 works great. PM me if youre in need of a upgrade
Old 10-07-11, 06:15 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the "NAV" is definitely not perfect. I've had trips where I'm going on 95... then for some reason, it says to exit. So I exit and then it just basically goes around the block, and then brings me back on entrance ramp and back onto 95. Okay, maybe it has logic where if it detects your making too good of a time compared to estimated time, it reroutes to waste some time. Who knows...
Old 10-08-11, 08:35 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The biggest thing I hated about my nav is that in three major cities thus far it has told me to go some obscure indirect route when I know there was a much easier way, it has also made me go through some hood *** streets in philly b-more and dc when there were much less hood ways of getting there.
Old 10-08-11, 10:42 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
it sounds like you may have side streets programmed in instead of interstate,check your settings.
Jimbosr1,

Thanks for mentioning that possiblility! SOMEHOW, my preferences were in fact changed and "allow toll roads" was not selected! I have no IDEA how that happened!. I had actually forgotten to check the settings, and when I just made a trip to Jersey, it told me to get off the Garden State Parkway. I was ready to flip again, and had my wife check the preferences, and lo and behold! The settings were all wacked out. Allowed toll roads and VIOLA! It kept us on the highway....

I had not changed the settings since I first got the car and set them originally. SO strange. Hmmm, I'm wondering if my failing battery had anything to do with my strange NAVI issues. The battery did just die yesterday and I replaced it last night. But that is not to say that my issue last week was due to the settings resetting themselves. The settings could have been reset to not allow toll roads from the resetting of the system when I replaced my battery last night. Who knows. All I know is that the settings were definitely wrong- what the culprit was for changing them, I don't know.

I do know that odd elctronic gremlins do start to appear when a battery is on it's last leg....... A new battery and proper NAV settings never hurt anyone. Man I love my LS again. !

Last edited by Lust4Lexus; 10-08-11 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-08-11, 10:46 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
the "NAV" is definitely not perfect. I've had trips where I'm going on 95... then for some reason, it says to exit. So I exit and then it just basically goes around the block, and then brings me back on entrance ramp and back onto 95. Okay, maybe it has logic where if it detects your making too good of a time compared to estimated time, it reroutes to waste some time. Who knows...
That would surely tick me off!

Quick Reply: I am really REALLY starting to hate my "navigation"