LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Play in Steering Column

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-11, 01:17 PM
jwloysr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Play in Steering Column

Today I had both the tilt and telescopic motors replaced in the steering column on my 2002 LS 430. When I picked up the car after the repairs were made there was a lot of play in the steering column. Up and down, side to side. The service department said that the play was their when I brought it in. I’m sure it wasn’t. Does anyone have any thoughts on what the issue might be?
Old 09-28-11, 04:59 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

You mean you can wiggle the steering column around manually up, down and sideways? I just went out and checked mine - with key in the on position but engine not started, the steering wheel barely wiggles up and down - maybe a 1/32, and does not wiggle at all in side to side direction - if all of a sudden it is loose and wiggles they did something wrong putting it back together.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 09-28-11 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-29-11, 01:03 PM
jwloysr
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply.

It moves at least a 1/4" in all directions. The mechanic said it had to be that way when I brought it in. He said this is common. I told him I live in the car, 296,000 miles, and there is no way I would not have noticed it. I notice every rattle and tick.

He took the cover off the column and showed me a universal joint about 5" below the wheel. There was some play in it that he said that it was the issue. They said they would order a set of shims to tighten it up, but if the holes were to warn they would need to put it back together the way it was or replace the tube in the column at $1300.

I just had a quick look at the mechanism. Thought I might pull the cover and study it this weekend. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-29-11, 07:47 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Unacceptable. raise hell. I could bungee jump off of my steering wheel. NO play at all. Don't let them take advantage of you.
Old 09-30-11, 05:10 AM
jwloysr
Driver School Candidate

Default Add

After I brought the car back to the dealer, they had a mechanic come up to hand my key back and tell the play was in the column before I had the motors replaced. I told him it absolutly was not.

They said they would order shims to tighten things up.

My fear is that things are not put together as they should be.

Next step?

Last edited by jwloysr; 09-30-11 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Adding
Old 09-30-11, 05:18 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Its probably not a major issue. Likely they were just a little sloppy putting it all back in terns of precise clearances - or one or more of the parts wasn;t an exact perfect fit. If it all works well and moves smooth with no grinding its probably more of an annoyance than a major problem. If it were me I'd take it to Lexus and just have them check out the steering play - see if they feel its out of spec.
Old 09-30-11, 12:01 PM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My universal joint went bad at around 35k milkes............which is too damn early. It was covererd under my cpo warranty. They did stretch the leather on the drivers seat a bit from putting knees on the seats i guess.
Old 09-30-11, 06:35 PM
LEXTEK444
Rookie

I know exactly what they did. When you replace the tilt motor it has a couple bolts that fit into the sides of the motor. The holes in the motor have 2 "shims" as they call them and they don't come in the package with a factory motor. I guarantee they forgot them when they installed the motor. I've seen techs do this before and I've had to fix their mistake. The holes do not wear out as there is no stress put on them unless the grommets are forgotten. Call them up and ask if the grommets for the tilt motor were ordered when the repair was performed. Make sure they don't charge you more labor cuz that is just plain irresponsible.

Hope it helps,
Allen
Old 10-01-11, 02:30 AM
jwloysr
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Allen. This is very helpful.

Bought a service manual. On each side of the tilt motor there is what they refer to as a Support Stopper Bolt Bushing. It is identified as a non-reusable part. Are these what need to be ordered separately from the tilt motor?
Old 10-01-11, 12:37 PM
LEXTEK444
Rookie

Yes that is exactly what you need. Just make sure to get two of them.
Old 10-04-11, 07:23 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow Lextek!

Way to help him out! Don't mess with an informed CL member! Go CL! :-P