LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Cassette deck broken

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-11, 09:56 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Cassette deck broken

Hah! The CPO people are going to love now more than ever (j/k). My cassette deck is out on my mark levinson system. That's gonna be expensive to replace i bet!

To double check that it is really broken I bought a 2nd tape adapter and it doesn't work either. At first I thought it couldn't be the actual cassette deck itself, but sure enough, with a new tape adapter it still doesn't work.

Maybe this is a sign I need to move up to a 2010+ model with streaming bluetooth. hmm... At least this repair is covered under the CPO warranty.
Old 08-05-11, 05:23 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you tried to play an actual cassette in the deck? (assuming you can find one)

I'll bet 90% of us wouldn't even know if their cassette deck was broken.
Old 08-05-11, 09:42 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

i still use mine.i have all my music on cassettes that i recorded 35 years ago.still sounds pretty good.i do have a limited cd collection mostly beatles.
Old 08-05-11, 09:44 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wait people still use cassette tapes here no seriously though¿¿¿

i thought i was old school cuz i occasionally fish out a cd or two to play seriously i do sometimes still use my cd player, sometimes.
Old 08-05-11, 06:14 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
i still use mine.i have all my music on cassettes that i recorded 35 years ago.still sounds pretty good.i do have a limited cd collection mostly beatles.
If you have music on cassettes that you really enjoy, I suggest it is time for you to digitize that music so you can burn on CDs and download to iPods, etc. We are really into the digital age and you don't want to look up and find you can't access your old media stuff. I am in the process of digitizing old 8mm video tapes. Just my opinion.
Old 09-26-11, 03:07 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
If you have music on cassettes that you really enjoy, I suggest it is time for you to digitize that music so you can burn on CDs and download to iPods, etc. We are really into the digital age and you don't want to look up and find you can't access your old media stuff. I am in the process of digitizing old 8mm video tapes. Just my opinion.
You can't make this argument to me

I have a handheld full size cassette memo recorder deck, I still shoot on 35mm camera film on one of my SLRs and 120mm film on another, I collect LPs on occasion, own a VHS player deck to watch extremely rare and out of print films that I rent on occasion and I own two monstrous and fully working 1/4" TASCAM reel-to-reel tape machines that I've used for anagloue looping and pitch effects.

I also occasionally use a 1962 Smith-Corona electric typewriter to write with. Again, not all the time but when the mood strikes me. There is a feel to it that is as different as using a computer word processor is to using a pen and notepad.

Until a couple of years ago I had a 1970's Elmo 16-AL 16mm movie sound projector that I used to play back oddball reels I'd find. It saw a lot of use doing "dirty transfers" of reversal film stock to digital for student films.

Most of my music lives on my iPhone and Pandora and I am for the most part in the digital world but I still do use older equipment for specific things.

Conversely, old recordings of one of my grandfathers on cassettes are getting digitized soon.

I found this thread because my SC cassette deck is also broken with a U2 tape stuck in it. I bought that U2 tape because I just wanted to hear the music on the old format for a change.
Old 09-26-11, 07:23 AM
sdbmw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What??? LS's have a cassette players???? Even a 2006 LS?????
Yes, just checked LS pics.... Unbelievable.....
No wonder it is old geezers car.. no offence guys.
I am looking for a car to replace my E39 530i workhorse, and one of the cars I am considering is LS430. Haven't tested one yet, but what attracts me is Lexus reliability.

A8, 750i and S are on my list as well.

Last edited by sdbmw; 09-26-11 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-26-11, 07:39 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Yep, keeps us rooted to the '80s.
Old 09-26-11, 07:55 AM
sdbmw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Yep, keeps us rooted to the '80s.
I love 80's
Old 09-26-11, 08:08 AM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Haha, who would even realize that. Pretty good, I'm sure people who changed to double DIN's might sell you theirs....
Old 09-26-11, 11:09 AM
sdbmw
Driver School Candidate

Any option to get LS without cassette player? Looks soooooo yesterday...
Old 09-26-11, 11:27 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

I believe the LS460 starting in 2007 omitted the cassette. All LS430s, with or without the Mark Levinson system, featured the cassette. My theory is that many high-end cars (and trucks like my 04 Sierra Denali) kept the cassette because a lot of distribution of books-on-tape and audio business briefings still came on cassette until about the middle of the decade.
Old 09-27-11, 07:40 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still have 4 cassettes left in possession and I listen to them in my car when I'm not using the deck for my ipod. Its the only tape deck I have left. Most ppl pay it no mind when in the car.
Old 09-27-11, 09:16 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the cassette as a means to connect my iphone music to car (much better sound quality than the radio). I don't like the idea of tearing apart my dash to install VAISTECH (or similar systems), plus this is a lot cheaper lol.
Old 09-27-11, 09:18 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sdbmw
What??? LS's have a cassette players???? Even a 2006 LS?????
Yes, just checked LS pics.... Unbelievable.....
No wonder it is old geezers car.. no offence guys.
I am looking for a car to replace my E39 530i workhorse, and one of the cars I am considering is LS430. Haven't tested one yet, but what attracts me is Lexus reliability.

A8, 750i and S are on my list as well.
Keep in mind the car debuted in 2001, so it was designed in the 90s when cassettes were popular

Quick Reply: Cassette deck broken