LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Intermittent steering shake upon braking

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-11, 06:46 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Intermittent steering shake upon braking

Although this topic has been discussed before, I was wondering if there might be some new insight to my recent issue. Upon initially purchasing my 2001 LS430 which had 98,000, I had a horrible steering shake upon braking and had the front rotors turned and brakes replaced even though there was 50% pad left. Everything was fine after the install. 5,000 miles and a year later I had a slight steering wheel shake upon breaking once and then it could not be duplicated. Again today, upon braking I experienced the steering shake and no matter how many times I tried to get the vibration back I couldn't. What's up with that? If the rotors are warped why don't they constantly cause the same steering wheel shake whenever I brake? I'm taking my car in tomorrow to get the rear pads changed and have asked to have the tech check the runout on the front rotors. All suspension parts have been thoroughly checked at Lexus and all is fine. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-15-11, 06:55 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

What pads do you have ? Do you have all brake hardware in shape (guide pins, holding springs, anti squeal shims) ?
Old 07-15-11, 07:18 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lynzoid
What pads do you have ? Do you have all brake hardware in shape (guide pins, holding springs, anti squeal shims) ?
Front pads were purchased through Lexus. I assume whatever the pads come with or what they reuse from the original setup.
Old 07-15-11, 07:21 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Check two threads below about 'pads'. This will give some info about my experiences... Not saying it's definitely relateed to your case, but everything is possible i guess.
Old 07-15-11, 07:30 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lynzoid
Check two threads below about 'pads'. This will give some info about my experiences... Not saying it's definitely relateed to your case, but everything is possible i guess.
I haven't heard that before about OEM pads. I'm not sure it would be related to my situation and again, why intermittent steering shake?
Old 07-15-11, 09:51 PM
mrxeb38
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hows your alignment?
Old 07-16-11, 12:49 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Are you braking hard and they are heating up more so than on another occassion? Mine will vibrate once in a while usually when I am hard braking and they would seem to heat up more.
Old 07-16-11, 07:34 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Are you braking hard and they are heating up more so than on another occassion? Mine will vibrate once in a while usually when I am hard braking and they would seem to heat up more.
I'm very easy on the brakes.
Old 07-19-11, 11:58 PM
cpcc
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shocks need to be chaged
Old 07-20-11, 06:26 AM
GeorgeT
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be rotors (new rotors will warp if overheated by hard braking during the break-in period), rotors could have a contamination, pads not seated properly, wheel bearings, shocks, etc.
Old 07-20-11, 07:37 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

has your Brake fluid been flushed and new put in? I bet you can get that Vibration to return if you brake steady down a hill - and without actually being in the car to get a better analysis on the issue, its a shot in the dark. I would personally think that it is your Turned/resurfaced rotors. they did not bed in properly over time with the new pads and the "transferred" or "exchanged" material from the pad to the rotor has more buildup on certain areas of one or both sides of the rotors - which only comes to surface due to heating of the Rotors under long, steady braking. take note this is only a best guess though -

but let us now what the Mechanic finds out. good luck!
Old 07-20-11, 09:33 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Marklouis
has your Brake fluid been flushed and new put in? I bet you can get that Vibration to return if you brake steady down a hill - and without actually being in the car to get a better analysis on the issue, its a shot in the dark. I would personally think that it is your Turned/resurfaced rotors. they did not bed in properly over time with the new pads and the "transferred" or "exchanged" material from the pad to the rotor has more buildup on certain areas of one or both sides of the rotors - which only comes to surface due to heating of the Rotors under long, steady braking. take note this is only a best guess though -

but let us now what the Mechanic finds out. good luck!
The mechanic checked the runout and all looked good. He drove the car and of course (as it always happens) it did not vibrate for him. So.... the saga continues and so far nothing has been found to cause the problem. I'm not planning on throwing away any more money and will just see how it progresses. Right now it's just once in a while that I get the vibration under braking and of course I'm always looking for it. If it does become more noticeable over time I'll probably turn the rotors (ever so slightly) again.
Old 07-21-11, 01:52 AM
tcr101
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

could possibly be your lower control arm bushing? i know mine are worn out and the steering wheel/car shakes a bit when applying the brakes
Old 07-21-11, 09:18 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tcr101
could possibly be your lower control arm bushing? i know mine are worn out and the steering wheel/car shakes a bit when applying the brakes
I had those checked and my tech said they were only very slightly worn with a minimum crack on one that was almost unoticeable.
Old 07-22-11, 04:46 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

It's these... Replace these to be on the safe side... You cannot judge them by look.

Quick Reply: Intermittent steering shake upon braking