LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Our Ls430 looking a bit "dated" these days?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-11, 05:30 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I don't think they look that dated yet. The LS still has that classy late 90's luxury car look while looking like a newer car at the same time. The current GS looks more outdated in my opinion. It looks kind of like the previous generation Maxima.
Old 07-12-11, 05:41 PM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JLAWS
I disagree,
I have an 01 with sport 18" wheels and JDM clear tail light. When I parked next to the 04 that I was going to test drive last year I realized it's not that much different in the look category and not worth and extra $8K. And I can pretty much guarantee that If i bought the same color 04-06 LS and showed it to my Girlfriend, friend or family members they wouldn't even know the difference. A True Lexus enthusiast can tell the difference
Spot on, JLAWS -

We have both an '02 and an '06, and as you can see in my sig, unless you're a Lexus owner or car enthusiast, I'd venture very few could tell them apart.

As to the styling, we look at the '01 to 06' 430's to be both distinctive and timeless, like an aged cabernet. Also, and not pointed out very often, the lower rooflines and smaller window volume on the 460's and others of its ilk leave less visibility than on the 430 series.

As another poster recently pointed out, when on the freeway, you can easily spot an LS430 but try pointing out an LS460 from more than 50 yards away.

For now, we're sticking w/ our two owner driven limousines ...
Old 07-12-11, 06:03 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The LS still looks pretty modern, especially with the xenon headlamps and LED tails. It is a conservatively styled car though, so it definitely doesn't pop out as much as modern XJ's, A8s and 7 series' do (didn't really back in the day either). I still love the styling though, reminds me of an old S-class from the 90s (which I still do a double take to this day b/c the lines are just so clean). I was walking towards it today (of course, it was parked in the farthest spot possible at Meijers) and was admiring how nice the the car looked.

I do like the styling of the current GS a lot. However, I was not impressed with how it drove (an 07 GS350). The salesman kept telling me that GS was very sporty and 5-series like. Had some pretty good pick up, but didn't pull as well as the LS. Also, the engine sounded coarser and lacked the refinement. The steering was odd as well, as it was too light and devoid of feel to give me much confidence about taking corners quickly (the LS steering felt a bit heavy afterwards lol). The main complaint I had was the numerous squeaks/rattles the car had while going over bumps. It sounded like the 97 Lincoln I had in high school, unacceptable for a car of that caliber. It's not all bad, the interior was a really nice place to be (although if you're taller than 6 ft you may not enjoy it as much, since it has less headroom). The materials were pretty soft to the touch and well put together. However, I would never trade my LS in for a GS. Just my .02 though.
Old 07-12-11, 06:25 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Our LS430 story was... we were aiming for a 2007 ES350 when it first came out, but just never did because it was just so "bland" the interior. Then we slowly decided we wanted to migrate to a new 2008 GS350AWD and we almost pulled the trigger on it until we saw a CPO LS430 at the dealer. We did not realize that the price for a 4-year old CPO was so affordable (relatively). So, we ended up shopping for the LS430 and got our perfect '04 that we have today and love it love it still...
Old 07-12-11, 07:00 PM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
We did not realize that the price for a 4-year old CPO was so affordable (relatively). So, we ended up shopping for the LS430 and got our perfect '04 that we have today and love it love it still...
I really think Lexus is quickly going down the path to irrelevance; it's bad news when there's such a dramatic negative difference between a previous-generation car and the latest ones.

When I first tried out an LS430 I was completely blown away by the quality, so I figured I'd also test the more current ES350, GS, IS, LS460, etc. They were all such a let down I couldn't believe they were from the same company. Some things have improved of course - chassis stiffness, drivetrain efficiency, etc. - but overall it was a shocking difference.
Old 07-12-11, 07:48 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
The LS still looks pretty modern, especially with the xenon headlamps and LED tails. It is a conservatively styled car though, so it definitely doesn't pop out as much as modern XJ's, A8s and 7 series' do (didn't really back in the day either). I still love the styling though, reminds me of an old S-class from the 90s (which I still do a double take to this day b/c the lines are just so clean). I was walking towards it today (of course, it was parked in the farthest spot possible at Meijers) and was admiring how nice the the car looked.

I do like the styling of the current GS a lot. However, I was not impressed with how it drove (an 07 GS350). The salesman kept telling me that GS was very sporty and 5-series like. Had some pretty good pick up, but didn't pull as well as the LS. Also, the engine sounded coarser and lacked the refinement. The steering was odd as well, as it was too light and devoid of feel to give me much confidence about taking corners quickly (the LS steering felt a bit heavy afterwards lol). The main complaint I had was the numerous squeaks/rattles the car had while going over bumps. It sounded like the 97 Lincoln I had in high school, unacceptable for a car of that caliber. It's not all bad, the interior was a really nice place to be (although if you're taller than 6 ft you may not enjoy it as much, since it has less headroom). The materials were pretty soft to the touch and well put together. However, I would never trade my LS in for a GS. Just my .02 though.
The GS350, especially 2007 had more than it's share of issues. If you read consumers, it had some black circles which is unheard of for the Lexus line (other than Audio). Rattles were high on the list of problems. I heard from Lexus that there were problems with the A Pilllar needing to get spot welded to resolve some heavy duty creaking and rattling. This was the first model for Lexus to bring their sterling reputation down a few notches. I don't know how the later years are fairing but I was considering one in 06 and am glad I held back. The redesigned GS is around the corner anyway. I'm glad I am driving the bulletproof LS430.
Old 07-13-11, 12:13 AM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldnt mind a ls460..
Old 07-13-11, 07:57 PM
mannye
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by thinkin
I really think Lexus is quickly going down the path to irrelevance; it's bad news when there's such a dramatic negative difference between a previous-generation car and the latest ones.

When I first tried out an LS430 I was completely blown away by the quality, so I figured I'd also test the more current ES350, GS, IS, LS460, etc. They were all such a let down I couldn't believe they were from the same company. Some things have improved of course - chassis stiffness, drivetrain efficiency, etc. - but overall it was a shocking difference.
Absolutely correct! As to the original question, no, I don't think the LS is getting dated. It's precisely the conservative but elegant design that keeps the LS 430 looking so modern. The 04-06 even more so because of the extensive tweaks that were made in the looks (I understand not one body panel is the same from the 1st gen) but that doesn't diminish the 1st gen at all. Where the 2nd gen does go a little farther than the firt gen is tech, which is what keeps it from not looking dated but not feeling dated as well.

I would put my 04 up against most 10 and 11 models of anything and I bet there wouldn't be too many places where the 430 loses. Transmission, LED tailights, projection and turning headlights, laser cruise, park assist, rear view camera and the list can go on. Sure, maybe there's no self parking or ipod dock, but plenty of late models are also missing that super high tech stuff...

The Point Alexus makes is very important however. Lexus hasn't really blown us away with the 460. First it was the noise from the mirrors, then the styling which kind of looks bland instead of elegant. In the case of the 430 the 2nd gen was a refining of an already great design. In the case of the 460, it may have to be a rewrite of the whole thing. I hope they reverse coarse and go back to scaring the crap out of every other car maker. MB and BMW brought up their game to catch up with Lexus. My car is 7 years old and all I've had to replace in all that time is a mirror switch and the trunk shocks!

Of course if someone offered me an LS 460L with the executive package, I wouldn't exactly turn ip my nose at it... so if anyone wants the GOOD LS, I will be glad to trade you my 430 for that pesky flawed 460 executive...I'm just a nice guy like that.
Old 07-13-11, 09:30 PM
parkerjs
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thinkin
The LS430 ages like Raquel Welch; most cars age like Nick Nolte.
I've had a 90 LS400, still have a 00 LS400, and now an 05 LS430 and I think the styling even on the 1st gen 400 is classic.

The LS underwent a little iladvised plastic surgery in 07 with the LS460 and kind of looks a bit like Kenny Rogers....
Old 07-13-11, 09:39 PM
mrxeb38
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Milan
01-03, perhaps yes. 04-06 look, and probably always will look, classy
So true I completely agree
Old 07-14-11, 12:28 AM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I work around La Jolla and Del Mar, CA and im constantly surprised by the amount of 04-06 LS430s around. I think the 01-03 model years def look dated and tired. The mid cycle refreshes always look so much better than the original designs. I feel the same way about the LS460. If i had to get one it would def not be from 07-09, not to mention the various problems it had and recalls. I'm into the 2010+ LS and it looks like the 2011 LS has daytime LED running lights finally!

Back to my original point, the mid cycle refreshes always age better. I insisted on getting a 02 gs430 because of the revised taillights and imo they still look so much better. Same thng with the 04-06 LS, led taillights and the strong front grille you cant beat it! The only thing it is slightly lackng in is a better nav system, but its only cosmetic. I upgraded to 2010 maps and it is functionally fine.

Others will probably disagree with me, but when the 01 LS430 came out i was in utter disgust. It looked like a nondescript Avalon, and still does! The 2nd gen has compositional value in the design all over from front to rear and it just looks like it means business. I think thats why so many of the moneied folk around here just keep them around...i am seeing more 2010+ LSs around though. I would be ok in a 2nd gen 460L.

Last edited by aypues; 07-14-11 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-14-11, 05:03 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have my eye on a ls460 sport model (after refresh),, just need to wait till the price drops a little
Old 07-15-11, 03:41 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

My 430 makes it very hard for me to upgrade to the 460. Plus all of the not so great things im hearing about the 460 is not helping either. Granted the newer LS is probably more advanced in tons of areas but one area it isnt is elegance imo. 460= sporty and gorgeous. 430= elegant and timeless.