Search this Thread

Old 06-18-11, 02:27 AM
vollandt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
+100000

+1
Get the better maintained one. They should drive the exact same (make sure to try them out both though). Also, the cleaner one (ie fewer/no dents, scrapes, scratches) is a good indication of how much the prev owner cared about the car. Like many have said, there were no changes MY 2004-06. Good luck, post up some pics when you pull the trigger

On the maintenance, as long as the oil was changed at a reasonable interval, any missed maintenance on a car less than 5 or 6 years can easily be brought up to date. Once this is done it will the car will be as good as if the maintenance had been done on schedule.

Miles are important, but where and how it was driven is even more important. A car driven daily in NYC will have had much more life taken out of the suspension than one driven triple the miles but in an area with smooth roads and without cold winters.

The condition of the paint and interior are also key. Any major issues in this area are often not easy to remedy.
Old 06-18-11, 07:39 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Age is an important factor in the appearance/quality of the exterior and interior of the car. If a car is garaged and kept out of the sun (parking with a car cover or covered parking), the interior can be kept without visible deterioration for many, many years.

The interior of all cars will eventually deteriorate from the sun's UV rays. This includes all fabrics, leather, rubber and plastic. The interior of a 10 year old car can virtually look like a new car if sun exposure is minimized.
Old 06-18-11, 02:20 PM
vollandt
Driver

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Age is an important factor in the appearance/quality of the exterior and interior of the car. If a car is garaged and kept out of the sun (parking with a car cover or covered parking), the interior can be kept without visible deterioration for many, many years.

The interior of all cars will eventually deteriorate from the sun's UV rays. This includes all fabrics, leather, rubber and plastic. The interior of a 10 year old car can virtually look like a new car if sun exposure is minimized.
totally agree. all the maintenance records in the world are not going to reverse the damage from a car being kept out in the sun.
Old 06-28-11, 07:07 AM
skassamali
Driver

I know the answer that folks in this forum will give, but I'm having a hard time deciding between paying $27k for a Highlander with 34k miles or an 05/06 LS430 with btw/ 50k-60k miles and splashing out about $22k. I know the HL will prove to be more useful, but the LS won't be far behind. $27k for a car w/out Xenon lights and memory seats just doesn't sit well with me. I need the best bang for the buck!
Old 06-28-11, 07:14 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skassamali
I know the answer that folks in this forum will give, but I'm having a hard time deciding between paying $27k for a Highlander with 34k miles or an 05/06 LS430 with btw/ 50k-60k miles and splashing out about $22k. I know the HL will prove to be more useful, but the LS won't be far behind. $27k for a car w/out Xenon lights and memory seats just doesn't sit well with me. I need the best bang for the buck!
I didn't think Highlanders cost $27k new....maybe a really decked out model..? Well you're getting a top-of-the-range flagship with the LS vs a decent crossover with the HL. However, the more important question is which do you want more? If your heart is set on the HL, but you can't seem to pass up a good deal like the LS, then take the HL. Buy the one you know you want the most, that way you won't ever regret your purchase.
Old 06-28-11, 07:32 AM
skassamali
Driver

Yea you're right, the HLs don't cost $27k new....more like $40k! This would be with leather, moonroof, and nav...on a 2008 model. I was really shocked by the prices of used HLs. I really want the LS, but am considering the HL b/c of it's size and gas mileage. But the LS430s 20 cubic feet trunk space is pretty sweet too.
Old 06-28-11, 01:37 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What will you use it for?

Originally Posted by skassamali
Yea you're right, the HLs don't cost $27k new....more like $40k! This would be with leather, moonroof, and nav...on a 2008 model. I was really shocked by the prices of used HLs. I really want the LS, but am considering the HL b/c of it's size and gas mileage. But the LS430s 20 cubic feet trunk space is pretty sweet too.
The HL and LS430 are totally different vehicles, not sure how one gets into the same conversation, but do you need the space of the Highlander?

Just for point of reference on usable space, I've taken the LS to Orlando from NJ twice already with three kids. The trunk was more than enough to hold a pack-n-play, one adult luggage, one child's luggage, a small ice box, and a 36-bottle pack of spring water. Then coming back with the bottles of water gone, we were still able to bring back some souvenirs.

If you're moving plywood, large TVs, and lawnmowers or something, then the LS will not do and you might need the HL. If you're getting the HL just for the "extra" room that you may not need.. .on well.. your choice. Perhaps you want the 3rd row of the HL.
Old 06-28-11, 01:45 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I can speak to both as we have a 2007 HL Limited (7 seats) and a 2006 LS430. These are very different vehicles, one common trait is that they are both ultra reliable. In my mind the HL is way more useful and flexible vehicle. But we love driving the LS430 and always take it unless we are doing house errands, shopping, going to Home Depot etc. The LS is pretty flashy which I consider a negative - while the HL is the ultimate stealth mobile - at least where I live there are hundreds of them. I would prefer not to be noticed.

A 2007 HL Limited went for about $38-40K new. A 2006 LS Premium went for about $56K new.

If I could only have one vehicle it would be the HL because we need the flexibility and hauling ability for cargo and people that it provides.