LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Gap between flagship and entry is widening

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-11, 11:06 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Unhappy Gap between flagship and entry is widening

This morning on my way to work i was behind a Lexus HS in traffic and was really disappointed in how the Lexus brand has expanded the lineup with smaller and less distinctive cars. The HS, in my opinion, is bringing the Lexus name down, de-valuing my LS.

Does anyone else share this opinion?
Old 05-06-11, 11:15 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

I agree the HS is less distinctive, but I dont think it's the car that's devaluing your LS430, but rather the mpg..
Old 05-06-11, 11:15 AM
nine3es
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i drive an old *** 93 ES and i still agree with you. the ct200 and the hs both seem to not fit in with the lexus lineup...

btw DD, that dog in your avatar is precious, shih tzu?
Old 05-06-11, 11:18 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed. I don't understand why someone who was looking for a fuel efficient car wouldn't just save 10k and buy the prius instead. They share the same platform and technology. I know Lexus markets these things as 'sporty hybrids', but c'mon who are they fooling? These aren't powerful and fast enough for those who want a high performance car. Those shopping for a hybrid just care about good mpgs....
Old 05-06-11, 11:26 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by nine3es
btw DD, that dog in your avatar is precious, shih tzu?
Yep. Thats Gizmo, our Shih Tzu. He's been our co-pilot for years. I think he agrees with me too about the "Corolla-Lexus" not really fitting into the lineup
Attached Thumbnails Gap between flagship and entry is widening-img_1623_sm.jpg   Gap between flagship and entry is widening-img_1614_sm.jpg  

Last edited by DDLexus; 05-06-11 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-06-11, 11:29 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Agree.
I feel cars like these are better integrated into the Toyota line-up instead. I'd like to see the Crown 18 series as a midrange Lexus sedan than these lower line models.
Old 05-06-11, 12:05 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah i was excited when the HS first was announced cuz i thought surely one of the hybrid crown's would make its way over here but that has not ever happened,, yet....

my neighbor has an LS430 and an HS and used to daily drive the LS but now daily drives his HS.. i think its an ugly *** car but i see him as an older lexus head (he's like 65) and we always say whats up to one another in passing. i think the ct would be a better fit for the toyota or scion side personally. but i'm glad lex is expanding to include more than just old rich white dudes,, now young rich white girls can join
Old 05-06-11, 12:19 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I was just thinking about this the other day. It seems all the major players are now going down-market for the sake of market share. Lexus with the CT,HS and a possible smaller RX type of cuv. Audi with the forthcoming A3 and Q3. BMW with all these 1-series variants and a X1 cuv. And then theres MB with their A and B class models along with a confusing array of other models coming in the next couple of years(check out the sneak preview section in the June issue of Automobile). The Germans have had these type of vehicles for years overseas but are now bringing them stateside and seems Lexus is doing the same. Years ago MB and BMW were upscale with some exclusive models that you only saw maybe once a summer. The sight of a 560sec or a 850i would no doubt turn heads. Now their cars seem commonplace like Accords and Camrys. Its no biggie when i see a CL coupe or a 760Li or 650i. Lexus was on their way to that exclusive category in the early 2000s with the SC,LX and LS models. Now the SC is dead, the LS lost some of its luster in recent years and the LX is all but forgotten. The face of Lexus now seems to be the RX and the CT lately. The ES and the HS even has been pushed aside. Nowadays, to really get exclusive you would have to climb higher to the likes of Rolls Royce and Bentley and even they are seen more than what they used to be. My guess is that in 20 years or so, every brand will have a model for each niche and price range.

Im all for fuel saving and the like but Lexus should leave that to Toyota and Scion. Lexus was created to compete in an upscale and exclusive environment but if that environment has gone down market then i guess there's no else to go but down.
Old 05-06-11, 12:51 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
Agreed. I don't understand why someone who was looking for a fuel efficient car wouldn't just save 10k and buy the prius instead. They share the same platform and technology. I know Lexus markets these things as 'sporty hybrids', but c'mon who are they fooling? These aren't powerful and fast enough for those who want a high performance car. Those shopping for a hybrid just care about good mpgs....
And I thought people were whining that Lexuses aren't about image--they're all about build quality, reliability, interior fit and finish, etc...

You could argue the same thing about the Lexus ES!
Old 05-06-11, 01:24 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
And I thought people were whining that Lexuses aren't about image--they're all about build quality, reliability, interior fit and finish, etc...

The ES is based off a pretty good looking, relatively sleek Camary so that works well. The HS is based off of a Prius, which looks like an econo hatchback...and that doesn't work. That's what the post was about in the first place...Lexus making cars that don't look so special anymore.
Old 05-06-11, 04:49 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86

yo man you win the prize in my book to me its all about quality,, thats why i bought my LS, and i hate to hear people all about image, but whatever, you seem to know whats up and i hope enough true lexus fans continue to respect the quality that lexus has built,, i only hope that lexus's new line goes a step back to the quality that it was from like 01-06...
Old 05-06-11, 05:01 PM
mondo540
Driver

Go to car chat and read the thread on dealer feedback to Lexus....pretty interesting. Lexus is slowly losing it, IMO....if you look at monthly sales numbers yr over yr they are actually down. Just about everyone else is up big....now the tsunami is going to make it worse but I believe people are drifting away from Lexus...there are now exciting looking cars that are much more reliable and refined than they used to be.....to add insult to injury, even the new e-tune infotaintment system is going into Toyotas first before Lexus....are you kidding me?
Old 05-06-11, 05:11 PM
Milan
Pole Position

Corporate average fuel economy is most likely the reason why Lexus is introducing these fuel efficient cars into their line up.
Old 05-06-11, 06:06 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Keep in mind CAFE regs are coming as well, where auto makers have to meet an average amongst their product line. I don't know if Toyota/Lexus/Scion (possibly Subaru) would be all lumped under Toyota, or if Toyota and the other makes would be counted separately, but regulations are in future and they have to make some "fuel efficient" vehicles to balance out the gas hogs up above.

Overall though, I do agree that the lower end vehicles of luxury makers (CT, 1-series, etc.) do bring down the overall luxury factor for the high rollers. If we're driving our LS and then right next to us is some snot-nose teenager driving a CT that their parents bought, that would really make me roll my eyes... ha ha.

I must be getting grumpy in my old age, because I was probably that snot-nosed teen once...
Old 05-06-11, 06:25 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mondo540
Go to car chat and read the thread on dealer feedback to Lexus....pretty interesting. Lexus is slowly losing it, IMO....if you look at monthly sales numbers yr over yr they are actually down. Just about everyone else is up big....now the tsunami is going to make it worse but I believe people are drifting away from Lexus...there are now exciting looking cars that are much more reliable and refined than they used to be.....to add insult to injury, even the new e-tune infotaintment system is going into Toyotas first before Lexus....are you kidding me?
IMO, thats due to the fact that Lexus hasn't been rolled out fresh models of its major player yet(LS,GS,IS,ES) only the strong selling RX is new recently with the addition of the CT and HS. Most of its competiton has fresh or refreshend models like the 7,5,1 series and E,C,CLS classes. Even Audi and Jaguar has newer models than Lexus. Once Lexus bring out its heavy hitters we we'll see those numbers change......hopefully.

Quick Reply: Gap between flagship and entry is widening