LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 A/C evap drain hose/tube

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-11, 12:56 AM
radb77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation LS430 A/C evap drain hose/tube

Can someone please tell me where I would find the drain tube that comes off the air conditioning evaporator? I spent the better part of sunday afternoon looking under my car and was unable to find it. Do I have to remove the entire plastic underguard to see them?

The A/C schematic indicates there should be grommets at the end of the
hose(s) but, I don't see those either.

I have searched through all the threads in regards to this topic and have come up empty handed. Any information or photos that anyone can provide would help me greatly.

Thank you in advance.
Old 05-02-11, 01:17 AM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Im not sure but on hot humid days when i have my a/c on i can see water coming from the passengers side front. Not sure if this is where the hose terminates. But should help narrow down your search.
Old 05-02-11, 06:16 AM
radb77
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

Thank you. See, I was thinking the same thing but, was still unable to find it. It's been really dry here. I drove around for a good period yesterday and was unable to get the evap to drip.

If anyone else has anything to contribute, I'd gladly appreciate it. Thanks
Old 05-03-11, 12:15 PM
jac430
Driver

Default possible airco drain tube

Today I looked under the car (from the front) and noticed a small flexible drain.
That might be what you are looking for:

Hope this helps.

Jac
Old 05-04-11, 03:00 AM
radb77
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for taking the time to send that pic, Jac. That is a drain tube, but not for the AC. Its to drain the radiator. Theres a valve above the plastic cover. Again, thanks for taking the time to try and solve my problem
Old 05-04-11, 05:07 AM
jac430
Driver

Sorry for confusing things...
Hope you find the drain hose.

Jac
Old 05-05-11, 01:20 AM
denIS200
Lead Lap

I don't know if this could help you :
http://bahamutcars.free.fr/workshop/...nts/index.html

Denis.
Old 03-23-12, 07:51 PM
drdarell
Driver School Candidate

Default LS430 A/C Drain Tubes

First let me say sorry for not taking a picture of these as they are really hard to find if you don'l know where to look. Hopefully I can tell you where to look... If you have your LS430 jacked up there are places for a jack or jack stands just behind the front wheels. I'm guessing about 6-8 inches to the rear of those jack points, move in toward the center of the car. You'll see Silver / Aluminum looking heat shields on either side that run down the length of the car between the bottom of the car and the exhaust. On that line I was talking about you'll see a 1/2 dollar size round hole in that heat shield (before you get to the exhaust pipe). If you stick your finger inside that hole you'll feel the drain tube. There is one on the driver side and the passenger side. Sneaky.
You think maybe they could have used another inch of hose so it stuck out the hole... Probably too much wind drag... Good Luck!
Old 08-28-13, 11:25 PM
Bradicus
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drdarell
First let me say sorry for not taking a picture of these as they are really hard to find if you don'l know where to look. Hopefully I can tell you where to look... If you have your LS430 jacked up there are places for a jack or jack stands just behind the front wheels. I'm guessing about 6-8 inches to the rear of those jack points, move in toward the center of the car. You'll see Silver / Aluminum looking heat shields on either side that run down the length of the car between the bottom of the car and the exhaust. On that line I was talking about you'll see a 1/2 dollar size round hole in that heat shield (before you get to the exhaust pipe). If you stick your finger inside that hole you'll feel the drain tube. There is one on the driver side and the passenger side. Sneaky.
You think maybe they could have used another inch of hose so it stuck out the hole... Probably too much wind drag... Good Luck!
Yes. You are exactly right. Thanks for this. I did end up finding them on my own and using a Toyota aerosol disinfectant flush to the condenser and it worked wonders. No more or little musty smell. I am gonna take some pics and add them to show other CL peeps where they are.
The following users liked this post:
pat2555 (06-26-23)
Old 08-29-13, 12:34 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradicus
Yes. You are exactly right. Thanks for this. I did end up finding them on my own and using a Toyota aerosol disinfectant flush to the condenser and it worked wonders. No more or little musty smell. I am gonna take some pics and add them to show other CL peeps where they are.
Toyota aerosol disinfectant flush to the evaporator - the condenser is in front of the radiator

PS - original Lysol disinfectant spray, when sprayed into the cowl opening air intake (base of windshield) does the same thing, additionally kills viruses, and is $4.96 at Wal-Mart for a large can!
Old 08-29-13, 12:57 AM
Bradicus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
Toyota aerosol disinfectant flush to the evaporator - the condenser is in front of the radiator

PS - original Lysol disinfectant spray, when sprayed into the cowl opening air intake (base of windshield) does the same thing, additionally kills viruses, and is $4.96 at Wal-Mart for a large can!
I meant the evaporator core. I dont appreciate your smart aleck reply. You know what I meant. That's where the bacteria breed that make the smell. It's a Toyota kit and inexpensive. They provide a flush for the evap core that is secured with a tube and fitting to the one of the evap drain hoses ... and a cowl freshener for after. Just spraying Lysol down the cowl does not do the same thing. You've gotta buy the kit if you want the job done correctly. Especially if you really want to take care of the problem, not just slap a band aid on it.
Old 08-29-13, 01:49 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradicus
I meant the evaporator core. I dont appreciate your smart aleck reply. You know what I meant.
ummmm .... NO!
here on Club Lexus, we pride ourselves on accuracy, what if someone reads your erroneous post, and is planning to change out their condenser, and ends up tearing out the dash for no reason?

That's where the bacteria breed that make the smell.
exactly, and Lysol is far more effective against bacteria, mold & mildew (not to mention viruses, which this kit does not address, but Lysol does)

It's a Toyota kit and inexpensive. They provide a flush for the evap core that is secured with a tube and fitting to the one of the evap drain hoses ... and a cowl freshener for after.
as a Lexus master technician for over a decade, specializing in A/C in particular, I am incomparably familiar with the Toyota kit, as well as competing kits, and how they work - and by the way, neither Toyota nor Nippon Denso designed nor manufacture this kit. - more like a dealership profit-center thing, like some Toyota accessories, etc.

Just spraying Lysol down the cowl does not do the same thing.
Lysol kills the bacteria, mold and mildew, which are responsible for the odor, but doesn't leave a residue like the foamy stuff you are recommending, a residue which can cause the evaporator to get dirty the next time much faster, thereby necessitating recurring cleaning sessions with the foam, like a circular spend cycle!

You've gotta buy the kit if you want the job done correctly. Especially if you really want to take care of the problem, not just slap a band aid on it.
No, you don't - that's called marketing
Old 08-29-13, 01:16 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I use this. If you really want it done right

Old 09-01-13, 12:37 AM
Bradicus
Driver School Candidate

Changing the cabin filter and using the TOYOTA kit worked miracles for my LS430 and I would do it again. I'm sorry but, I disagree. Lysol doesn't cut it. It's a band aid on a larger AC problem. The foam used acts as a detergent and cleans the evap core of bacteria and mildew. The LS has two drain Hoses. So, once the contents are all in the evaporator, it cleanses it and drains out the other tube, along with excess collected mousture. It was VERY effective. Then the second step with the deodorizer through the cowl made a difference as well. And again, was not very expensive. Toyota marketed nothing to me. I found it on my own and went and picked up. Instead of hating on my thread, how about considering it may be helpful.

The kit is licensed and sold by Toyota. I seriously doubt Toyota would put their name on anything and sell it though their parts departments if it was a gimmick.
The following users liked this post:
pat2555 (06-26-23)
Old 09-01-13, 12:49 AM
Bradicus
Driver School Candidate

The kit

Last edited by Bradicus; 09-01-13 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Image won't upload

Quick Reply: LS430 A/C evap drain hose/tube