LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Minor Upgrade - HID Fogs w/Pix

Old 05-04-11, 11:04 AM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by akabond
thanks..ya i think i just going to get LED for DRLs. no need to put HID for DRLs..just LED for show. since well they are justy DRL..but lets say if i were to put on my high beam on will the LED become brighter ..(like with halogen) or will be remain same brightness?
The LED will not become brighter when you turn on your high beam.
Old 05-04-11, 02:11 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

but would the LED for DRL even work @ all ..or do i need some sort of a module...
Old 05-04-11, 02:25 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

but would the LED for DRL even work @ all ..or do i need some sort of a module...
LED will work for DRL. I know I am running a V-Leds module on mine. But dont know if you have to run it.
Old 05-04-11, 02:50 PM
imherenow
Racer

Originally Posted by HiloDB1
LED will work for DRL. I know I am running a V-Leds module on mine. But dont know if you have to run it.
did u tried without the module to see if the LED worked 1st?
Old 05-04-11, 02:59 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the module just makes the light wattage output on full blast all the time. i think someone told me they flickered bad if no module is installed on the led drl's. they are not getting the proper wattage with no module so it would surely cause them to degrade in my opinion.

with the module the light is either on or off and when trying to use the high's they will come on and you may see some stuff turn slightly blue that is up close to the car but it doesn't put out any usable light, just stuff will reflect shiny blue is all.

even on a dark *** road if i put on my highs it does not make but less than a 1% difference. so this is why i put some super bright hid's in my fogs
Old 05-04-11, 03:15 PM
imherenow
Racer

soo u have no module then???ya i m going HID for my fogs too..and going for LEDs for DRL=just for look. but i spoke to some ppl to sell LEDs and HIds and they said i might not a need a module for my car. hmmm
Old 05-04-11, 03:17 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Well we are talking about the LS430 as this is the section. So if you have an LS430 then seems the consensuses is you need the module. If you dont have an LS430 maybe you should be looking or asking in a different section.
Old 05-04-11, 03:24 PM
imherenow
Racer

ah yes i couldnt find on ES forum but did find on LS forum..sorry my bad . it was regarding ES
Old 05-04-11, 03:30 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i know the IS and LS need the module, not sure about GS and ES though.
Old 05-05-11, 09:23 PM
imherenow
Racer

Hi guys I had a q..I know its for ES but would be nice if u guys helped me out..so I was thinking about the wiring thing for the HID for H3 bulbs..now H3 bulbs have a wire and a metal @ the end..but from what I have seen for HIDs online and pictures they all have like a clip on..that snap onto where the OEM bulbs got the power from..so I was just thinking about the setup for H3 HID..I believe the HID bulb would also have the thin wire or the ballast would have a thin wire that will attaches plug into the power??thanks
Old 05-08-11, 09:33 PM
imherenow
Racer

Originally Posted by airtime
Since one of my aftermarket yellow bulb recently went out, I decided to do what many of you have already done, upgrade to HID. I got the 3000k temperature as I wanted to stick with the yellow for visibility for myself and others to see me coming.

It is amazing how small the ballast are now a days. Got this one off eBay for $39 shipped. Its more than half the size of the unit I placed in my wife's car a couple of years ago, and now its even waterproof.

Its rated at 35w and it outperforms my aftermarket 55w bulb by a lot. No error on display so all good.

Took about 10min each side, as I just remove 3 of the screws from the wheel well and squeezed my hand in to remove and install the bulb, and zip tying the super lightweight ballast. I was ready to jack up and removed the wheels but didn't need to.

All in all, well worth the cost. Next up, Daytime driving lights

To the right is the new HID, left side yellow 55w 9006

Did u had to drill holes into the fog cap cover for the wires to get thru?
Old 05-09-11, 09:48 AM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Did u had to drill holes into the fog cap cover for the wires to get thru?
No need to drill anything. Its a straight direct inline replacement. You still are using the factory wiring/plug which goes onto the ballast. The ballast wire into the new HID.
Old 05-10-11, 07:37 PM
lnguyenh
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks airtime for your inspirational . I ordered a kit like yours (5000K bulbs) but ended up putting them on my CL55 this afternoon. No errors and looked really good. I'll have to order another set for the LS430
Old 05-14-11, 04:45 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

New thread started on HID DRL
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...drl-w-pix.html
Old 05-20-11, 09:08 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

airtime, i just installed the same kit (3k fog lights). output looks good. but when i get out of the car, I can hear the HID system (buzzing sound, very faint) . is your the same way?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Minor Upgrade - HID Fogs w/Pix