LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

why is the ls430 often made into a pimp machine and the s-class and 7 series never?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-11, 09:52 PM
scottgolf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default why is the ls430 often made into a pimp machine and the s-class and 7 series never?

Just curious, i don't mean any offense, I was just wondering. Why do you think it is that some love to turn the 430 into a whooopd and like the bmw's they always seem to be stock, or involved with some sort of art or racing. Merc isn't normally into art, but people don't seem to want to slam them to the ground and put big ugly ground effects and stupid wheels. I always liked the artistic side of the bmw, the class of the merc, but I drive a 430 for the reliability. I know we are in a free country and people can do what they want. I mean no offense, just wondering why they would pick the 430 over all the other cars out today. Thanks for any thoughts
Old 04-04-11, 10:23 PM
khanhdom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your post makes absolutely no sense.
Old 04-04-11, 10:33 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Theres a bunch of beemers and benz with big wheels(22's-24's) out here where im from. They look mighty sweet to me. The ls is just as big and sweet as the big b's when set up right, 20's and lowered with or without a kit. ijs
Old 04-04-11, 10:34 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know how it is where you live, but here in TX, you see 7 series with Ugly, ghetto wheels.
Old 04-04-11, 10:47 PM
scottgolf
Pole Position

you are probably right it maybe it is just here in iowa. we have a lot of 430s that are modified, and never seen a merc, bmw, porsche, audi, that is. I mean I see porsche and bmw with performance mods (much different), but thats it.
Old 04-04-11, 10:58 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

check out rap videos. you'll see bmw's, mercs, bentleys, rolls, jags etc. fixed up crazy style. i think they call it "bling" style.

here in socal, you can easily spot any make and model modified too many ways.
Old 04-04-11, 11:06 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No offense but i think its because you're in Iowa..
Old 04-04-11, 11:27 PM
scottgolf
Pole Position

yea, you are probably right about it being iowa. no offense taken. it sucks here, but the people are genuine. I don't watch rap videos. I quit watching mtv 20 years ago when they got away from rock and went to rap.

Is it young people that mod these cars out? I can't imagine a guy in he late 30s or 40s plus doing this, but maybe.

we have lots of modded up 430s around here. with like hydrolics, low riders, fuzzy dashboards. I think they call them hood rats.
Old 04-05-11, 01:52 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

We do not see the mods you guys are into her in Wisconsin either. I think it is a more practical group of folks but also the winters would just tear this stuff up and again how practical is it with 6 months of clouds, salt dirt unplowed/semiplowed roads and ice. i imagine you would store the LS in the winters but these things are built to get attention.

I am the practicle, conservative midwesterner and I have other things to do with my money and some of this stuff just looks well .......impracticle.

"Big ugly ground effects and stupid wheels" beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 04-05-11, 02:22 AM
So Philly1
Lexus Test Driver

Old 04-05-11, 05:04 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder. Agree that the use of the LS for modded cars is variable based on location. In some locations there may be more LS430s avail in used market so it makes for a good available and affordable platform to buy and mod.

In the part of DFW where I live (think conservative, wall to wall old people), I see multiple LS430s every day, but they are 99.0% stock. But as a result other parts of DFW may have more modded LS430s since they are so plentiful here on the used market. I also think LS430 are used as a platform for mods because the underling car is so well known for being reliable. Its very embarrassing to have your pimp master hoop-mobile broke down on the side of the road looking like a 2001 Sebring or BMW 7 series : ).

I personally don't have much interest in heavy mod LS430s, to a point they can really look good to me, but sometimes the owners takes the mods over the line and makes the car look silly to me...but again to each his own - its their hard earned $ and time, so they can do how they like.

The good thing is that folks that do LS 430 mods typically develop valuable expertise on the LS in general in the course of doing the mods and as such make positive and helpful contributions to the forum. And it just makes the forum more interesting to have many different perspectives and points of view available on the LS430. Via la difference!

Last edited by Jabberwock; 04-05-11 at 05:44 AM.
Old 04-05-11, 05:04 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

So Philly you are a funny dude!

You know the same people you are asking why would they do that are asking why would you keep the car stock when it looks dry, lame, boring, straight grandpa etc. This questions comes up from time to time on the 430 & 460 boards and I'm sure they come up on the IS & GS ones too, modding a car is about putting your own touch or flavor on it while standing out from the cars just like it. Some people don't want their cars looking like everyone else’s, it’s like being made to wear a uniform when you want to be yourself, express yourself, and be different! The beauty of it all is not caring what someone else thinks b/c they did for themselves, it make them happy at the end of the day. I don’t agree with some of the choices made with some cars, some I downright hate but I respect the persons freedom of expression b/c it would be a boring azz world without it. Also MTV stop showing music videos of any kind over 10 yrs ago, MTV is an oxymoron at this point.

Now you chalk this thread up to..

-It’s subjective
-To each his or her own
-It’s all relative
-Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (warminwisc)
-Whatever blows your hair back
-It’s Iowa……..??!

BTW- if you ever get out of Iowa and go to another city or part of the country look around you will see trends vary when it comes to modding cars. Some of it is comical to make you say WOW that was very nice!

Last edited by Tee; 04-05-11 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-05-11, 05:30 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

without getting long winded i have 2 explanations.

first, i also believe its cuz your in Iowa. i'm sure there is a major city or two (actually i'm really not sure at all, just trying to be open minded ... if you go to where people get paid more you will see more money flaunted (wasted to some) on material things such as rims and car mods. Iowa may not be one of these locations where young people make 100 to 200k a year.

second, jdm (japan) is where a lot of these mods originated and where the styles were created so it is only fitting that there are a lot more styles and choices of mods (parts) for japanese cars. in japan there are a hell of a lot more modded out euro cars and parts/styles for modding euro cars then you will ever see in most stateside locations.

i had never seen so many modded cars of different varieties until i spent a little time in osaka japan. i guess cali, nyc, and miami would be some of the easier places in the states to see cars of this caliber.
Old 04-05-11, 05:42 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Even though I don't like many of the mods people do, I appreciate the interest and excitement they bring to the brand and model. Brands that evoke no excitement among customers eventually turn into orphans like Oldsmobile and Mercury.
Old 04-05-11, 06:17 AM
2004TOYO
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scottgolf
... i don't mean any offense, ...... and put big ugly ground effects and stupid wheels.

khanhdom said it best, "your post makes absolutely no sense"
You stated that you mean no offense yet you use the words ugly & stupid. These threads asking why people mod THEIR vehicles seems a bit odd to me. Bottom line is, "ugly and stupid" , thats YOUR opinion. to another person the factory look is "stupid & ugly", therefore they mod THEIR vehicle. Lastly I think you dont see that many of the other vehicles modded (?) because you live in Iowa......NO Offense.

P.S. MY vehicle is stock, but I respect the mods

Quick Reply: why is the ls430 often made into a pimp machine and the s-class and 7 series never?