LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Vaistech Sirius SL2s & iPod SL2i install 2006 LS430 w/ navigation

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-12, 03:53 PM
tahiles
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the million dollar question.....how does the iPod Sound?

Tha reason I ask is because I installed a USA SPEC PA15-TOY in my Avalon and thought it sucked! The sound was dead and lifeless. Hard to describe here but I was REALLY disappointed.

Sold it the next month on FleaBay.

I don't want to go through the installation and removal process unless this sounds good! Good being of course realtive to the quality of the original source material as well as the bitrate.

User's opinions truly appreciated because I really want to like this!
Old 12-29-12, 11:36 PM
SQuester
Pole Position

Bumping this up, should be installing a SL3i tomorrow.
Old 12-30-12, 11:59 AM
mywong23
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tahiles
Here's the million dollar question.....how does the iPod Sound?

Tha reason I ask is because I installed a USA SPEC PA15-TOY in my Avalon and thought it sucked! The sound was dead and lifeless. Hard to describe here but I was REALLY disappointed.

User's opinions truly appreciated because I really want to like this!
how did your Avalon sound with the standard CD player?

another big variable is your LS is a different sound environment than the Avalon.

another test is comparing CD player versus your iPod using a cassette adapter.

are you using neutral settings on audio or enhancing with added bass, treble,or midrange?
does your iPod have graphic equalizer settings?

sidenote: there may not be anyone who has compared a USA spec iPod interface with another - i.e. Vaistech...

it is interesting to note that a Vaistech recognizes 99 playlists versus the USA spec recognizing only 7 playlists

PS #2: I did finally install the USA spec PA-15 along with BT35 Bluetooth.
in our 01 LS with standard stereo, IMO, the iPod sounded on par with CD player

I will soon install a PA-15 in the 04 with ML & Nav

Last edited by mywong23; 01-06-13 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-09-13, 08:51 AM
mattbeeezy
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

this was extremely helpful..... and a breeze to do thanks to this thread.
Old 05-23-13, 08:42 AM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

question for any of you guys that have done the install....going to be doing it saturday. I see you al pretty much did the same thing and fed the iPod connector into the glove box. Would it be possible mount the box in the glove box and have the iPod connector come out in the push out drawer next to the pwr/snow and suspension buttons? Then I can just put the iPod in there for easy access in the drawer if i need it. Thanks
Old 05-23-13, 11:48 AM
tahiles
Rookie

Originally Posted by mywong23
how did your Avalon sound with the standard CD player?

another big variable is your LS is a different sound environment than the Avalon.

another test is comparing CD player versus your iPod using a cassette adapter.

are you using neutral settings on audio or enhancing with added bass, treble,or midrange?
does your iPod have graphic equalizer settings?
Well you waaaaaaaaaaay overcomplicated this one.

If it sounded tha same as the standard CD player would I have complained?

If it sucked it would suck in ANY car.

Comparing CD Player vs iPod cassette adapter is really apples vs oranges and proves nothing.

If I had the base or treble really boosted I would surely know enough to back that off.

Why can't we just leave it at it sucked? After all that's what it did with the Avalon JBL system.
Old 05-23-13, 12:25 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430FL
question for any of you guys that have done the install....going to be doing it saturday. I see you al pretty much did the same thing and fed the iPod connector into the glove box. Would it be possible mount the box in the glove box and have the iPod connector come out in the push out drawer next to the pwr/snow and suspension buttons? Then I can just put the iPod in there for easy access in the drawer if i need it. Thanks
Yes you certainly can and that is an ideal spot for it as well. I didnt do so because I often keep my smokes and/or a cell phone in there. My iPod is wired into my center armrest cubby.
Old 05-23-13, 04:50 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I have my iPod in the glovebox on the shelf. Put a silicon sleeve on it and it does not slide around. I only take it out to add music. Otherwise, never have to touch it as all controls are on the Nav screen. I installed 99 CDs on a playlist. Can then choose CD I want to hear and then see the artist and title of every song as it is played. The iPod get charged whenever the car is on, and remembers where your were when it's turned off. I especially like the feature that automatically presses the "I agree" button when you start up the car. Couldn't be more pleased with the ViasTech unit in my car.
Old 05-26-13, 04:31 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

thanks for the replies...installed it today with the iPod wire coming out of the drawer. very easy installation. Took my time and it still only took about an hour or so. put the viastech box in the glove box incase I ever need to access it I won't have to pull apart the whole dash again. Sounds amazing and so easy to use. Feel like I have a new car haha
Old 03-29-14, 02:00 PM
sirtbizzle
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used these instructions to install a GROM-BT3 with an ipod and aux cable running out into the sliding drawer this afternoon. With the iPad in the the passenger seat and this thread up, it took me about 45 mins to get everything taken apart, installed, tested and put back together. Hardest part was "modifying" the drawer to get the cables for the ipod and aux lines in there...

Two comments - I disconnected the battery first and the used the shift-lock button to get the transmission into neutral. Also, the three screws that hold the sliding tray drawer in place can also be removed with an 8mm nut driver...easier than a Phillips screwdriver. All magnetic tip, of course!

Thanks for the super instructions!!!

Last edited by sirtbizzle; 03-29-14 at 02:06 PM.