LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

new trafficstars (tire issues)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-11, 03:34 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default new trafficstars (tire issues)

so as some of you may or may not know I mounted a brand new set of trafficstar sfr's 20x10 Rear and 20x9 front about 2.5 weeks ago. 3 are fine but 1 of my back wheels is having a hard time keeping air in the tire. The back tires are toyo proxes T1R 255x30x20.

The first toyo lasted about a week and lost the bead so it was determined that the tire was defective and was replaced, the second tire lasted about 5 days now and is also not holding air properly now. it looses about 6lbs of air pressure every 30 minute highway commute.

1 of my back wheels is absolutely fine, so why is it that these brand new toyo proxes T1R (not cheap tires at all) are not holding air properly? is it possible the brand new wheel is somehow leaking air from the valve stem or something??

i know anything is possible but what is the probable reason this is occurring? the second tire shop wants to examine the tire and wheel tomorrow to see what may be causing this but i just thought possibly someone on here may have a past similar situation and could offer some advice. thanks CL community.
Old 03-09-11, 05:01 PM
Mr.Doback
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Valvestem is a possibility, go out and wiggle it to check if the seal is leaking, if u move it any way it should start leaking. Next spray soapy water around the bead and see if any leaks occur. Trafficstars, i forget, are they 3 piece or 2 piece?

If its a one piece barrel/lip and just the face bolts in, then rule out leaking barrel/rim contact.

Valvestem is my bet, but I would be amazed since they are new.
Old 03-09-11, 05:11 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Im pretty sure the Trafficstar are 3 piece wheels.
Old 03-09-11, 05:52 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Yeah its a true 3 piece, so is it possible that this is a possible problem.
Old 03-09-11, 07:12 PM
maximussp
Lead Lap

Fill your tub with water and find the leak. That would be a good start.
Old 03-09-11, 07:35 PM
Mr.Doback
Driver

^ thats exactly what the tire shop will do.

I doubt its the seal for the barrel/lip.

My money is still on valvestem.
Old 03-09-11, 08:06 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

if they didnt grease the bead it could cause that im thinking valve stem also though
Old 03-10-11, 04:30 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

the bead has been greasy on all of them so far, but yeah if this shop today doesn't try to diagnose what is causing it in this great a detail then i will have to. my wife is gonna flip when she sees me standing over a wheel in our guest bath tub that may just become my permanent bath tub after that...
Old 03-10-11, 05:33 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
.... my wife is gonna flip when she sees me standing over a wheel in our guest bath tub that may just become my permanent bath tub after that...
Don't worry, wives get more distressed when they see degreased parts drying in the dish rack on the kitchen counter.
Old 03-10-11, 05:55 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Don't worry, wives get more distressed when they see degreased parts drying in the dish rack on the kitchen counter.
i would not even attempt that. ^ ^ ^

when i was living in the military dormitories in japan one of my good friends awoke to a nissan skyline rb 32 (i forget which) motor sitting in about 3 inches of oil in his bathtub. we were both confused as to how exactly it got in there.
Old 03-10-11, 06:19 AM
votru
Lead Lap

Agree with other as may not tight the valvestem enough when install since highly doubt Trafficstar didn't seal their wheel good. And what's up with you and Trafficstars.......nothing but problem, crack rim and now not hold air? Keep us updated .
Old 03-10-11, 06:41 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by votru
Agree with other as may not tight the valvestem enough when install since highly doubt Trafficstar didn't seal their wheel good. And what's up with you and Trafficstars.......nothing but problem, crack rim and now not hold air? Keep us updated .
dude tell me about it,, my whole f-ing life has been like this lately... my wife says i'm cursed cuz i am never satisfied with what i have presently,, i think she is the one that cursed me

i took my car to jiffy lube Tuesday for an oil change like i always do every 5k miles and they somehow convinced me to let them flush my radiator fluid... i had a bad feeling about it cuz my policy is on my lex that jiffy lube is only to do oil and thats it. well after i drove off now my car is squealing worse than a freakin pig getting stuck. sounds like an old for truck now... i took it back and they sprayed some stuff on the belt (i think) and it was better at idle but after a couple hours it is squealing again at all rpms' WTF man,,, and one of my HID"s is blows,, i swear i feel like i'm driving a civic all of the sudden.
Old 03-10-11, 07:37 AM
LucidSnow
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

may i request pictures of these rims on ur car so i can see if its leaking? thanks

on a serious note. the first reply by naffy is pretty much wat any tire shop will do for u. and if u go back to the tireshop they will prob help u free of charge. but u can spray it with soapy water. see if theres leaks on tire/bead/seal ...find out where it leaks urself and narrow it down that way. leaks usually can be easy fix. just bring it back to them. no worries unless ur rim is defective.
Old 03-10-11, 08:06 AM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like they got coolant on your belts and then sprayed some belt lubricant (which I would never use) to get rid of the noise. The belts need to be thoroughly cleaned of coolant, as they will continue to slip when contaminated like that.
Old 03-10-11, 11:37 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

the tire shop put some goo up in the little well/lip between the tire and wheel and left if sit for an hour. they called me back to show me that it wasn't bubbling or leaking at all. they tried to get me out the door at that time, i asked them to flip it over and try it on the other side. within seconds it was obvious where the leak was. the shop apparently put some sealant on the wheel and let it sit for another 30 mins and said it was all good now. i sure hope it stays sealed now...

and its raining so the belt wasn't squeaking at all,, and x2 i ordered some replacement hid bulbs.

Quick Reply: new trafficstars (tire issues)