LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Should trunk pop all the way open?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-11, 07:11 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Should trunk pop all the way open?

When you hit your trunk open button from inside the car or the trunk release on your remote, should the trunk automatically open up all the way? Mine pops open, but just so, then I have to open it all the way up by hand. Once up, it stays up until I close it myself, doesnt fall down. But I have a hunch it should open into the fully up position by itself when released, is that correct?
Old 03-07-11, 07:20 AM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is normal. Even with brand-new struts the lid doesn't come up very much. It doesn't have a powered lid like the 460, nor does it pop 1/2 way up like on some cars.

It's a heavy so-and-so too - the trunk lid design's not the 430's strong suit.
Old 03-07-11, 07:22 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Thanks thinkin. It only occured to me this morning when I saw a co worker hit his trunk release from inside his Accord coupe and saw the trunk pop all the way open. Then I remembered my s2000 does that too. So I thought hey, why doesnt my Lexus do that? O well, lol.
Old 03-07-11, 07:34 AM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it's related to the non-intrusive arm design which I much prefer to cars with arms that swing into the trunk - it's easier to put some upward tension with the latter design. It must be harder to manage the same thing on cars like the 430 where there are no arms to intrude.

The 460 and S-class solve that by other means, but personally I'd rather have to muscle the lid a bit and not have arms swinging into the trunk. I think the S2k has no arms either and it still pops up though, right? Maybe the difficulty is also a function of the lid's weight?
Old 03-07-11, 08:25 AM
edarte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After about seven years my 2001 LS' trunk started to come up less and less. It was due to the struts starting to loose their compression and I had to replace; easily done. I think this is a relatively common problem on the 430.
Old 03-07-11, 08:50 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Originally Posted by thinkin
I think it's related to the non-intrusive arm design which I much prefer to cars with arms that swing into the trunk - it's easier to put some upward tension with the latter design. It must be harder to manage the same thing on cars like the 430 where there are no arms to intrude.

The 460 and S-class solve that by other means, but personally I'd rather have to muscle the lid a bit and not have arms swinging into the trunk. I think the S2k has no arms either and it still pops up though, right? Maybe the difficulty is also a function of the lid's weight?
Ive never payed much attention to it on my S2k, but I think it doesnt have the intrusive arms. I could be wrong though. And certainly the weight of the trunk could be a factor here.
Old 03-07-11, 11:47 AM
LucidSnow
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i notice it prob lifts an inch after hearing the electronic unlatch. thats about it. but to close it, it closes by the weight softly once its at a 45degree angle halfway down. no slamming required lol
Old 03-07-11, 12:02 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Originally Posted by LucidSnow
i notice it prob lifts an inch after hearing the electronic unlatch. thats about it. but to close it, it closes by the weight softly once its at a 45degree angle halfway down. no slamming required lol
Same, so sounds like thats just how it works. Id prefer it opened all the way when you opened it any way you opened it but o well, I wont lose any sleep over it. At least I know I dont have to buy new trunk struts
Old 03-07-11, 04:12 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The trunk on the Cadillac DTS pops open when you push the button. As it's been mentioned before, the design has large coves for the arms that intrude into the trunk space. Also, Cadillac removed the power pull-down years ago, so you have to slam it shut.
Old 03-07-11, 04:16 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Originally Posted by caddyowner
The trunk on the Cadillac DTS pops open when you push the button. As it's been mentioned before, the design has large coves for the arms that intrude into the trunk space. Also, Cadillac removed the power pull-down years ago, so you have to slam it shut.
My dads 79 Fleetwood Brougham (8.1 liter!!) had the power door and trunk closers. Whod have thunk 32 years later it would be something you could barely find anymore save for ULTRA lux packages?
Old 03-07-11, 04:25 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Muti007
My dads 79 Fleetwood Brougham (8.1 liter!!) had the power door and trunk closers. Whod have thunk 32 years later it would be something you could barely find anymore save for ULTRA & CL lux packages?
Fixed it for ya.
Old 03-07-11, 08:58 PM
svlexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the 30 year old luxury features are still rare. And do you see the crap they advertise cars with?- They tout such innovations as disc brakes, automatic transmission, rack and pinion steering, abs, and... fuel injection. Its amazing how advanced these cars are...
Old 09-20-15, 06:15 PM
Executive1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk Is too Heavy to open

My lexus Is350c trunk is very heavy and my mother cant open the trunk.
Is there any way I can install heaver shocks to open it all the way up when I push the button on the remote?
Old 09-20-15, 11:04 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive1
My lexus Is350c trunk is very heavy and my mother cant open the trunk.
Is there any way I can install heaver shocks to open it all the way up when I push the button on the remote?
Wrong forum. We're all LS430 people and I don't think you'll get much help here. Suggest you see the IS 350 forum.
Old 09-23-15, 02:58 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

From the factory, the LS430 trunk does not pop all the way open. My 2002's trunk struts were already dead when I bought the car in 2009. You'll know the struts are dead if you partially open/close the lid and it doesn't stay exactly in place. You'll also know if the lid hits you on the head when you're not expecting it.

The new FIGS Engineering trunk struts I installed also do not pop the trunk open.

When the electronic latch unlatches, the trunk lid lifts up between 0 and 0.5 inches. Lift up all the way - don't lift too slow and then let it come back down or else the auto-closer can catch your fingers!

The Ford Crown Victoria is another example of a car with big arms extending into the trunk space, where the trunk lid pops up all the way after hitting the trunk release button. LS430 was designed for more trunk space at the "cost" of utilizing gas struts to support the lid.

Quick Reply: Should trunk pop all the way open?