LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2001 LS430 - Bluetooth & Backup Camera Success Story

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-11, 01:00 PM
veeman5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 LS430 - Bluetooth & Backup Camera Success Story

I searched the forums for quite a while to find some success stories regarding adding Bluetooth and backup camera capabilities to the 2001 LS430. I ended up finding useful tidbits of info - but never a full implementation that met my set of requirements. Since I just had this work completed, I figured I would share my experience.

Total Cost: $670.00
---------------------------
1.) NavTool (used to view backup camera video through oem navigation screen) - $175 (Best Offer via EBay)
2.) Parrot CK3100 (Bluetooth unit) - $125 (Amazon)
3.) Audiovox ACA200W (Backup Camera) - $65 (Amazon)
4.) Quick Connect QCJBL1 (Parrot wiring harness to connect to ML stock radio head unit) - $55 (Amazon)
5.) Labor - $250.00 (PM me if you want contact info for my installer based in Long Island)

Bluetooth automatically mutes radio during calls and plays audio via front passenger door speaker. Backup camera automatically engages when reverse gear is selected and displays via nav screen.

The camera is mounted below the bumper - I worry about losing the camera if I ever scrape bottom on a steep incline - however, this is the only nit pick I have with the installation. Hope this helps!
Old 02-26-11, 01:03 PM
2004TOYO
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any pictures?
Old 02-28-11, 08:15 PM
stropp
Driver School Candidate

Default bluetooth without nav????

bluetooth without nav???? my big hang up on my 02
Old 03-01-11, 02:58 AM
veeman5
Driver School Candidate

The nav screen was utilized to display the backup camera feed; my Bluetooth install doesn't utilize the nav interface in any way.
Old 03-01-11, 03:03 AM
veeman5
Driver School Candidate

The nav screen was utilized to display the backup camera feed; my Bluetooth install doesn't utilize the nav interface in any way. Others on this forum have performed these installs on their own - however, I definitely felt more comfortable letting someone with experience handling the installation.
Old 03-04-11, 07:15 AM
Bryan858
Lead Lap

Nice.. When I first attempted the BT intergration there were still some issues with the wiring. How did you connect the Parrot with the radio? was it a complete plug and play or was there a seperate wire (mute) that you had to splice somewhere? When I first got my plug and play unit a couple years back it would not mute the radio so I got around it by hitting the cassete play button with a blank cassete inside. Works fine but if you could share a wiring diagram that would be great permanent solution.. Thanks- Bryan
Old 03-04-11, 08:50 AM
veeman5
Driver School Candidate

The Quick Connect QCJBL1 is almost fully plug-n-play. It takes care of the mute wire interface, etc. The only reason it's not completely plug-n-play is that you have to run the wire to the speaker on your own. I can't provide a wiring diagram because I hired a professional to handle the install.
Old 03-04-11, 05:10 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan858
When I first got my plug and play unit a couple years back it would not mute the radio so I got around it by hitting the cassete play button with a blank cassete inside.
It wasn't "plug and play" then. Which kit, which adapter harness did you use and on what car? Whether you use an adapter harness or not, it is almost always possible to attach a phone kit's mute wire to a car's audio system so that it mutes the radio during a phone call.
Old 03-05-11, 06:38 AM
Bryan858
Lead Lap

It was the first harness made for the mki parrot series and the ls430. I have an 02 ul. Its been so long but I think everything was pluged in via the pnp harness but would not mute and it had one or two cables pink or yellow which I believe was the mute but the harness company could not provide me directions on the placement. At the time very lil info was available the ls430's
Old 03-05-11, 07:41 AM
Bryan858
Lead Lap

It was the first harness made for the mki parrot series and the ls430. I have an 02 ul. Its been so long but I think everything was pluged in via the pnp harness but would not mute and it had one or two cables pink or yellow which I believe was the mute but the harness company could not provide me directions on the placement. At the time very lil info was available the ls430's
Old 03-05-11, 08:01 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan858
Yellow is the phone kit industry standard for the mute wire color. I do remember that some of the Parrot harnesses were not really PNP and required connecting the mute wire separately.

If you still want to connect your phone kit's mute wire to mute the audio system in your LS, it shouldn't be all that difficult. After figuring out how to do it on our cars, I've helped lots of people do it on theirs. I've had phone kits installed both with and without the mute and, IMO, the mute is the key to enjoying a phone kit. Both my wife and I used to routinely miss incoming phone calls before I got the mute working in our cars. Nothing was more frustrating than calling her, having her phone automatically answer, and listening to whatever was playing (loudly!) on her radio and shouting to try to get her attention which I rarely could.

I'll attach the wiring diagrams for the 02 LS audio system but the Jainla's PDF on the following thread on his install into an early LS430 UL should give you enough information without them: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=34849
Specifically, look at lexus_telephony_pt2.pdf

Jainla got pretty fancy in using the factory installed 18 pin connector under the center console and the corresponding connector in the trunk to pass signals including the mute from the trunk forward. I think it would be as easy or easier (and avoid pulling the head unit/nav) to run a separate mute wire from the trunk under the carpeting or door sills to the front of the car where I assume your phone kit's mute wire is. Attach the wire from the trunk to the Parrot's yellow mute wire and you will be good to go.

On the attached "diagram 2", the telephone mute in the trunk is labeled "MUTE" and the wire color is LTGRN/RED". That wire leads to a pin on the "STEREO COMPONENT AMPLIFIER" labeled "TMUT" which stands for "telephone mute".

The good thing about attaching a phone kit to a OEM telephone system mute point is that you are assured that your phone kit will mute all sources of your audio system - radio, Sat., CD, etc. I've seen numerous cases where even a professional installer will attach the phone mute so that it only mutes the radio and not the CD player.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2002 LS430 audio diagram 1.pdf (33.8 KB, 468 views)
File Type: pdf
2002 LS430 audio diagram 2.pdf (48.3 KB, 362 views)
Old 03-05-11, 05:05 PM
ViPCeo
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually install a back-up camera, my Avic z2 which has bluetooth and Nav screen bypass in my 2002 ls430 UL with the BeatSonic kit a few months back, still loving it
Old 03-05-11, 09:20 PM
brio_ls
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GSM installation how-to by Toyota
Attached Files
Old 03-06-11, 06:26 PM
Bryan858
Lead Lap

Thanks Kansas.. Got your PM as well. Quick q? I just remembered my MKi kit streams music to all speakers via BT. Will connecting the mute to TMute on the amp still enable all speakers to play if a call is not coming through? If only the factory UL unit had an aux port that can be used for streaming bt then mute with an incoming call that would solve all my troubles. I'll give it a go next weekend and see what happens with the trunk amp tmute.