LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Repaint question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-11, 02:20 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Repaint question.

My 2001 LS430 is all original with absolutely no paint work of any kind other than older respraying of the bumper covers. The paint is Millenium Silver and still has great luster as it's been garaged and out of the sun for most it's life. Recently, my association's landscaper used the weed wacker close to the car, throwing up some debris causing 2 eraser size chips on the driver's side rear door. Of course after touching it up it is still noticeable to me because I know where to look. The touch paint will never be a good match and a local body shop did what they could to smooth out the rough edges of the 2 chips. My question is this. Considering the millenium silver color, should I have the lower part of the door repainted professionally (requires removing door handle etc) risking the chance that the color will not blend well with the rest of the car or leave well alone with the small chips that I know are there and others will see if I point them in the right direction? The shop I would use does many upscale cars (Porches, Vettes, etc) and assures me it will blend perfectly. I think they spot paint the chipped area and clear the rest of the door. I would hate making something small worse and more obvious in addition to the expense. Silver is usually a tough color to match. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 02-24-11, 02:43 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there small maybe pass on the door only repaint. What if it doesn't match up are you willing to pay to get the whole car sprayed. If so go for it.
Old 02-24-11, 02:47 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I'd get it repainted if it were me and I was keeping it for a while and I was sure they could match it. But unfortunately when you go to sell it or trade it a dealer would immediately discount your car by $500-1000 more if it has any paint work at all on body panels. And they will be able to tell by sight or with a paint meter.

Hopefully you can get a full $ settlement from the folks that damaged your car for the full diminished value. If you are gonna trade it soon your better off leaving it with the chip repair instead of whole door repaint.

If you do get it repainted take some close detailed pics of the chips and the repair to show the prospective buyer it was not repainted due to major impact and there is no bondo on it.
Old 02-24-11, 03:08 PM
Turtlespd
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Silver is hard to spray to start with and the area should be blended. Its really hard to say without a visual but usually i would blend at least one panel and if done correctly no one will really notice. Sometimes if the dent or chip is in an area, centered you can get away with spraying one panel. It also takes a pro to match the orange peel of an oem finish. I would not skimp on such a repair. If it was black it would be a lot cheaper.
Old 02-24-11, 04:26 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

we are talking about a 01,10 years old.i dont think he is worried about taking a hit on a trade in.if you want it fixed get it fixed.you said he assures it will blend.
Old 02-24-11, 04:41 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. Knowing how **** I am, if for any reason the repaint doesn't blend, it will be easier to notice than the very small repainted chips that someone would have to look for to find. In addition, I happen to agree with Jabberwock with regards to repainted metal surfaces. A car's value will never be the same regardless of what was actually done. Right now I have an original car with 2 blemishes. Personally, I'm uncomfortable owning a repainted car (even if only partially) and lose the description down the road of "All original paint". Thanks for everyone's opinions which are all valid. Sometimes , imperfections on our cars bothers us less as time passes. Hopefully that will be the case here.
Old 02-24-11, 07:53 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Thanks everyone for all the feedback. Knowing how **** I am, if for any reason the repaint doesn't blend, it will be easier to notice than the very small repainted chips that someone would have to look for to find. In addition, I happen to agree with Jabberwock with regards to repainted metal surfaces. A car's value will never be the same regardless of what was actually done. Right now I have an original car with 2 blemishes. Personally, I'm uncomfortable owning a repainted car (even if only partially) and lose the description down the road of "All original paint". Thanks for everyone's opinions which are all valid. Sometimes , imperfections on our cars bothers us less as time passes. Hopefully that will be the case here.

You are right about time - I have two chips on the car, the only marks on an other wise mint paint job. One chip was there when I bought it, the other came on a road trip a month later. I carefully touch-up repaired each, multiple layers - wet sanded and filled several coats so they are pretty decent repairs but still noticeable if you look carefully. At first I noticed them every time I looked at the car. However over the last year I hardly ever notice the repairs even when I am washing the car. Cars being enjoyed and driven are gonna get chips and dings over time - you could repaint the panel and then get a chip the next week on the same panel.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 02-24-11 at 07:57 PM.