LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

valve cover and tube seal leak question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-11, 06:59 PM
stropp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve cover and tube seal leak question

Being the second owner of my LS with only 43000 miles when purchased, I was just informed my valve covers and tube seals need to be replaced. Did not notice any leaks until they did my 90k service. Do they break those seals on the 90k? Anyone else experience? Anyone replace tube seals?
Old 02-21-11, 07:58 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I assume you mean valve cover gaskets - can't imagine why valve covers would need to be replaced. If the valve cover gaskets are leaking (or seeping oil) they should be able to show you the seepage. In some cases the valve covers might just need to be tightened down - but I assume Lexus tech would know to try that first - but maybe not. They do love to generate revenue.

I am not sure what tube seals are. Need a little more clarification on this on "tube seals"
Old 02-21-11, 09:16 PM
stropp
Driver School Candidate

whoops valve cover gaskets, tube seals and spark plugs all need to be replaced...$827.00

it is dripping oil but slowly.... did not say where but quoting me 6 hours of labor... and I cannot find out what a tube seal is...
Old 02-22-11, 12:28 AM
jac430
Driver

For that price you can certainly ask a decent explanation on beforehand.
Let them point out what exactly they intend to do and what parts it involves.
Do not hesitate to ask where the oil leak is coming from. They do not hesitate to present you with a high bill, so you should have some rights
Valve cover gasket (not expensive) and spark plugs (8x quite expensive, because we do need the special spark plugs) could be standard maintenance, but indeed what are tube seals??

The repair manual of our beloved Lexus very seldom talks about repair, but only about exchange parts. And that's what they'll do.
If it is in the manual, they carry out the work, necessary or not.
A half way decent mechanic usually finds cheaper or faster ways to repair things, but unfortunately that is not the Lexus way. They are so used to read fault codes and subsequently exchange all parts involved. En carry on from there.

For example the cleaning of the smog filter is something we all can do ourselves with the help of the excellent thread from this forum.
But Lexus only replaces it. And would still charge you quite some time for it.

Again, let them explain, and if it sounds somehow strange to you, do not hesitate to say that you want to think it over and then go seek for a second opinion somewhere else if possible.
That is not always practical, but on the other hand might save you a lot of money.

Hope this gives you some encouragement!
Good luck!

Jac
Old 02-22-11, 04:57 AM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tube seals are what seals the top of the spark plug tubes,that pass down through the valve cover and into the cylinder heads.
They do harden up over time and will leak eventually. To replace them,the covers have to come off,which is why they want to change the cover gaskets also.

If it's leaking,it needs to be done.

Justin...
Old 02-22-11, 05:15 AM
Jabberwock

Originally Posted by fergo308
Tube seals are what seals the top of the spark plug tubes,that pass down through the valve cover and into the cylinder heads.
They do harden up over time and will leak eventually. To replace them,the covers have to come off,which is why they want to change the cover gaskets also.

If it's leaking,it needs to be done.

Justin...

I was wondering what a tube seal was - I had never heard of a tube seal in 30 years of owning cars. Still not too clear but I am glad for the info - time to do a little googling : ) get myself some edumakation

Last edited by Jabberwock; 02-22-11 at 05:50 AM.
Old 02-22-11, 05:18 AM
Jabberwock

Tube seal info - Suggest you order parts on line and take them in and have Lexus or an independent do the work.

Beck Arnley Spark Plug Tube Seal

BECK-ARNLEY SPARK PLUG TUBE SEAL -- A High Quality, Direct-Fit OEM Replacement Spark Plug Tube Seal
Part #: 039-6377
* List Price:$16.08
* Our Price:$3.03
* You Save: $13.05 (81%)

This from a post on car QA forum -

If you have any reason to remove the valve cover, and replace the gasket, you might as well go ahead and replace the seals. The gasket set should include new seals, as well as special washers for the cover retaining screws. (About $30.00 for a set.)

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_often_...#ixzz1Eh3vnCni

Looks like a non diy job.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 02-22-11 at 05:50 AM.
Old 02-22-11, 05:50 AM
stropp
Driver School Candidate

interesting... thanks everyone for the info. Off to sewell parts to place an order.
So, valve cover gaskets, tube seals (which I do not see on the site and seals)
I see a break down.
Anyone have a parts list of what is needed. Oh, might as well knock out the plugs while I am there.
Old 02-22-11, 05:52 AM
fergo308
Pole Position

JW: the tube seals seal the tubes that the spark plugs sit inside of. With the head being a twin cam design,the plugs are in the centre down low,with the cams above them,and the cam covers above those. As such,there are tubes running through the covers,which are sealed to the covers by the tube seals. the base of the tube is screwed into the head above the chambers,more or less in line with the spark plugs themselves when they're installed.

The tube seals prevent oil from inside the camgear area from leaking past the cam covers and out of the engine. With the engine being a V8,the cam covers are slanted on an 45deg. angle,so the lower side of the cover will leak oil if the seals deteriorate.

Justin...
Old 02-22-11, 05:58 AM
stropp
Driver School Candidate

So is replacing the tube seals an easy but time consuming job or is this best left for the shop?
Old 02-22-11, 06:16 AM
jac430
Driver

It looks like this:

Hope this helps a bit.

Jac
Old 02-22-11, 06:30 AM
stropp
Driver School Candidate

you are good!!! Thank you for that... looks pretty straight forward with nothing too complicated, just need a sleeve to press the tube seals on
Old 02-22-11, 08:26 AM
94LSon20
Driver

Had valve gaskets replaces on my 01 around 110k, one was leaking just a little but I had both done just for the hell of it. Wasn't more than $600 if I remember correctly
Old 02-22-11, 01:53 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

A sleeve to press them in? it's called a socket,and a hammer... ;-) Find a socket the same outside diameter as the seal,and tap it in. Bend the tabs back down when you're done.
Besides whatever you'll need to get the covers off,changing the tube seals will require a hammer,a smallish flat blade screwdriver,and the abovementioned socket.

Justin...
Old 02-22-11, 02:29 PM
stropp
Driver School Candidate

Got my order into Sewell online parts and they were EXTREMELY helpful! Will post pictures and go through the entire procedure step by step.

Quick Reply: valve cover and tube seal leak question