LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Steering Looseness (Is that a word?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-11, 10:00 PM
Viper6
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bon
I can enter the part numbers in the "Search by part number" box and it does come up. Their search really doesn't want the dash in the numbers though. It will discard it. Both 45516-50030 and 45516-50040 turned up the parts. HOWEVER, the only years listed are 2001, 02 & 03. There may have been a design change or the like after that.
I figured it out, it is like you said... so about $110 I think for all 4 bushings delivered. If this is my issue, it will be the best spent money on the car since purchasing it!

It is so annoying on the highway, I might as well be driving a clapped out chevy (no offense to clapped out chevy lovers)... it makes me want to sell it.

Thanks guys for all the intel! I hope I can get my video posted to get some confirmation it is like yours...
Old 03-12-11, 10:05 PM
Viper6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Tires can also be another reason a car wandering. I have no play in my steering, but when I changed my new BF Goodrich Touring TAs to Primacys it was like having front end work done. More precise handling. Don't forget that our cars steer like barges and will never steer like BMWs or a sports car.
Brand new Michelin MXV4's on her less than 5k ago... but agreed she will not carve like my 5series... but it should not wander around the highway like a late 80's cadillac either... only 55k miles so it should not act like this!

fingers crossed Bon can confirm the diagnose once I figure how to post videos from my Crackberry... maybe not till Mon unless you guys have an e-mail address.

Thanks for all the help! I love this forum
Old 03-13-11, 09:27 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Hey Viper,
I really hope this works for you, as I have the same issue and feel exactly the way you do about it.

Good luck !
Old 03-13-11, 09:30 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Viper. If you looked at the steering and front end and have found these bushings to be worn, I would go for it as these bushings can play a big part in sloppy steering. Good luck my friend.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 03-13-11 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-13-11, 10:13 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

If you are going to do the bushing replacement yourself then I have a few words of advice:

Be sure to mark the steering rack spines before you separate the rack from the steering column yoke. I'd recommend fingernail polish. If you get it back together just one spline off you'll have a crooked steering wheel.

Remove the bolt that keeps the steering rack splines attached to the steering yoke universal joint. You will want to rotate the steering wheel about 90° from straight degrees right or left to make loosening the spline bolt easier. This bolt must be removed completely to allow the spline joint to separate.

Be careful not to rotate the steering wheel when things are apart because this can lead to breaking the spiral coil in the steering column; an expensive mistake.

When reattaching the rack to the steering column align the splines exactly as they were before disassembly then slip the bolt into the clamp to keep the rack from falling off of the splines.
The following users liked this post:
usedname (08-28-23)
Old 03-14-11, 09:15 AM
Viper6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bon
If you are going to do the bushing replacement yourself then I have a few words of advice:

Be sure to mark the steering rack spines before you separate the rack from the steering column yoke. I'd recommend fingernail polish. If you get it back together just one spline off you'll have a crooked steering wheel.

Remove the bolt that keeps the steering rack splines attached to the steering yoke universal joint. You will want to rotate the steering wheel about 90° from straight degrees right or left to make loosening the spline bolt easier. This bolt must be removed completely to allow the spline joint to separate.

Be careful not to rotate the steering wheel when things are apart because this can lead to breaking the spiral coil in the steering column; an expensive mistake.

When reattaching the rack to the steering column align the splines exactly as they were before disassembly then slip the bolt into the clamp to keep the rack from falling off of the splines.

Awesome advice and thanks to all for the encouragement. I will order the parts from Sewell ($110) and post Youtube vidoes of before and after if it fixes the wander. I'll keep you guys posted when done and available... the before shows side to side movement of 3-5MM at this bushing when wheel rocked by the wife, so it is worth a try.

I also noted there was gearbox free play as well... manUal says 30MM measured at the steering wheel is max... I did not measure but I think it may exceed that spec as well. My Honda specs 10MM at the steering wheel before they say adjustment of the steering rack guide is necessary. I'll measure this on the Lex and adjust to bring in spec if out. Not sure if this is part of my wandering problem, but I'm pretty sure it isn't helping matters.

More to follow...

Last edited by Viper6; 03-14-11 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-14-11, 08:33 PM
Viper6
Pole Position

Default Before

Posted before shots (This was done on smooth cement floor... so maybe not as much movement as if it were on pavement... so it still seems like a lot to me.):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0HntYGpVFI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSeYGB2N95A

and the steering box freeplay here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j4VsM_gBjo

Last edited by Viper6; 03-14-11 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-14-11, 08:48 PM
Viper6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stu
Hey Viper,
I really hope this works for you, as I have the same issue and feel exactly the way you do about it.

Good luck !
Thanks... it's like the steering inputs from the road surface load up and then release with the car trying to dart off line, and you counter it with progressive steering wheel movement that loads up and releases more correction than you wanted... vicious cycle made worse by head winds and truck turbulence. Frustrating detractor from the Lex experience. I hope this bushing swap fixes it and others can do it for their rides... I'm cautiously optimistic.
Old 03-15-11, 01:40 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Your video of the rack moving looks exactly like mine did. Now that I have the new bushings I need to repeat the test and see how the rack moves now. I'm sure that you're on the right track.
Old 03-16-11, 12:55 AM
Twix
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Viper6, thanks for such a dedication and detailed inputs...
I have already order the bushings by the dealer and will change them myself...such a movement on the rack definitely doesn't seem right and I also have a very shaky/loose steering feeling for some time now…
I also hope that the bushings will sort this out…
Old 03-16-11, 01:02 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Viper, for sure thats far to much play ..... This may help me get my steering fixed. Thanks

I really hope it helps you and me. If I can't fix my steering, I will be selling the car. Its my only issue, but its gotta be fixed for me to want to keep the car.

Keep us all posted, and thanks again.
Old 03-21-11, 09:46 PM
Twix
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any update / news on this one?
Old 03-23-11, 03:41 PM
Viper6
Pole Position

Default Update...fix in process

I needed to check with dealer first to see if they would address this under CPO... they said it was "normal" and compared to others in the shop, so they declined to do so, could not replace but the entire rack on an 05 and it would not fix my symptoms. Now that formality is over with, I am ordering the parts tonight and will take pics of the install and pics of movement after install for comparison. If parts come in time, I'll shoot to accomplish this weekend. Stay tuned.
Old 03-25-11, 08:33 AM
jtpaajan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had this done to my car. The bushings were quite expensive here in Finland, 250 eur (about $300) for just the parts at the dealer. I had them changed at an independent shop.

But holy cow, that was money well spent - the difference in both stability and on-center steering feel is night and day! Before the job, the car was wandering badly on the highway, any road surface irregularities or wind would greatly affect the direction of the car. Now it's like a completely different car, with Shinkansen train like directional stability.

I wholeheartedly agree with the earlier post saying that these should be a regular maintenance item. I used not to be able to drive the car on the highway with just one hand on the steering wheel before because it was wandering so much. But all of it is gone, my ride is perfect now. Yay!!
Old 03-25-11, 10:19 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Just called my mechanic friend to see how much he can get the bushings for. Plan to get mine done within a week! My wanders a bit but it was never unbearable. I have an 01 so i'd say it's due.

Quick Reply: Steering Looseness (Is that a word?)