LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Transmission Service questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-11, 05:42 AM
hrp
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Service questions

2002 base LS430 purchased new Labor Day 2002. Now with 105K on her. Other than checking the fluid levels, there has been no other transmission service performed. The owner's manual goes up to only 125k.

Car has only been driven normally. Does it need additional tranmission servicing or fluid change, etc?

Dealership wants $200+ for fluid change. What does it really need. Still drives like new without any tranny problems or symptoms. I am concerned about condensation in the tranny.

Comments, suggestions, etc.

Thanks,
HRP
Old 02-13-11, 06:40 AM
GeorgeT
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whenever I buy a used car I always have all fluids and filters replaced (engine oil, transmission, rear end differential, brake fluid, air filter, fuel filter, etc.). I long ago quit believing salesmen when they say that it has had a "complete" service. It can be a bit pricey but it's worth the peace of mind knowing that everything is up-to-date.
Old 02-13-11, 06:43 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

You put 20k on it since new. It depends on when last transmission services occurred. If you don't have access to history on that I would definitely go ahead and get the fluid changed. There is a trans fluid cooler hose that is pretty easy to access on the 01-03 models - I think there is a diy sticky in how to use that access to change the fluid pretty easily. I would do that or give the dealer $200 to do it for me.
Old 02-13-11, 08:29 AM
balfor
Rookie

on that model it has the same trans as my old GS430. There is dipstick for refilling and a drain plug on the trans pan. The dealer would hopefully do a complete flush and not just a drain and fill, ask them to be sure. If it is just a drain and fill it is easy to do yourself, but you only get about 2qt. out each time. I used to drain, fill, and drive the car a mile or two then drain and fill again. Do it 3 times and you get most of the old fluid refreshed with new. Cost is only about $25 for fluid. Also there is a copper washer on the drain plug you might want to replace on the last fill.
Old 02-13-11, 04:39 PM
Jabberwock

If you can diy the drain and fill and repeat for a 3 times I think that would be an excellent plan.
Old 02-13-11, 07:41 PM
svlexus
Driver

Just to warn you, there is a reason lexus recommends not changing the fluid unless its under harsh conditions where it gets burnt up.
As the trans wears it gets some wear and then some varnish fills in the spaces in the valves and stuff. When you change out the trans fluid for new the varnish may get cleaned off and youll need tranny repairs. The old rule was if you hadnt changed it after 75000 you should leave it.
Old 02-13-11, 08:02 PM
MrXerox
Rookie

Originally Posted by svlexus
As the trans wears it gets some wear and then some varnish fills in the spaces in the valves and stuff. When you change out the trans fluid for new the varnish may get cleaned off and youll need tranny repairs. The old rule was if you hadnt changed it after 75000 you should leave it.
Can someone confirm this? Im having a hard time getting onboard with it.
Old 02-14-11, 04:09 AM
hrp
Rookie

Default Somehow my original post got garbled

Re: Transmission:
I purchased the car NEW in 2002 with 6 miles on the odometer. It has been well maintained and driven under normal conditions and now has 105 k on it. The tranny has never been dealer serviced and never had the tranny fluid changed. The car runs fine and there are no tranny issues.
My question: What if any servicing does the tranny need? The manual does not list anything up to 125k. Here in N.C. we do have extremes in humidity and I'm concerned that there may be some condensation in the transmission. I've read that the fluid needs changing (tranny flush) at 60k which my dealer did not do.

Further suggestions and comments.

Thanks.
HRP
Old 02-14-11, 05:28 AM
Jabberwock

Tranny topics can get some folks on this forum very excited (pun intended).

There is no unanimous view on this topic - You are gonna get opinions that range from one end of the scale to the other - from tranny should never be serviced (especially if it has not been serviced before - the oldest of old car related wive's tales), to you must change the tranny fluid every 15k, to only do drain and refill and never do flush cause a flush damages tranny, to always flush as drain and refill is useless and not effective, etc., etc.

My personal view is that tranny fluid should be monitored and changed any time it shows wear, contamination, or oxidation - I have done both drains and flushes in the past usually at 15 or 30 k intervals. I check the tranny fluid by looking at dipstick every oil change to monitor color and clarify of the fluid.

Now in 04-06 LS the bright folks at Lexus deleted the trans dipstick and now Lexus says no service is required for "life" of trans. BUt they will not say what they mean by "life" - and its a $6K trans to replace. I personally think this is complete crap - the new Toyota trans fluid may have much longer life, but it will wear at some point, so I will be doing trans fluid change at 60k intervals on my car.

My advice is to ask a trusted mechanic what they would do with the LS trans fluid if it was their personal car.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 02-14-11 at 05:34 AM.
Old 02-14-11, 01:09 PM
balfor
Rookie

Originally Posted by hrp
Re: Transmission:
I purchased the car NEW in 2002 with 6 miles on the odometer. It has been well maintained and driven under normal conditions and now has 105 k on it. The tranny has never been dealer serviced and never had the tranny fluid changed. The car runs fine and there are no tranny issues.
My question: What if any servicing does the tranny need? The manual does not list anything up to 125k. Here in N.C. we do have extremes in humidity and I'm concerned that there may be some condensation in the transmission. I've read that the fluid needs changing (tranny flush) at 60k which my dealer did not do.

Further suggestions and comments.

Thanks.
HRP
Personally I would change that fluid (assuming you want to keep the car a number of more years), it is nearly 10 years old and over 100k miles is a lot to ask of a lubricant. I would either do the DIY drain and refill at least 3 times or possibly dealer IF they will exchange all the old fluid.

While you are at it, I'd change the rear diff fluid as well if that has never been done. Cheap and easy to do yourself if you are so inclined.
Old 02-14-11, 01:21 PM
tcr101
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I would change the fluid after checking the fluid.

Personally, my transmission fluid on an 01 ls430 was pretty much black/brown and had the transmission flush done at a toyota dealership. It ended up being ~$170 filled with the Toyota "red" fluid. (type IV fluid if memory serves me right) Made a night and day difference in terms of achieving the Lexus Ride. Very smooth shifts
Old 02-14-11, 03:39 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car is an '02 with the 5 spd that takes type IV fluid,just change it anyway. It's a simple procedure that any shop can do for you with no hassle,and it will extend the trannny's life and smoothen it's operation.

If the car was an '04 or beyond with the 6spd that takes WS fluid and has vague recommendations on servicing as JW mentioned,we could (and have in the past in other threads) discuss the matter for pages and pages...

I'm personally in the 'service it' camp. Parts wear,especially in soft-shifting trannies. If you're going to keep the car,you should maintain it fully. That means doing everything,not just convenient jobs like oil changes and hoping that the difficult stuff like the tranny will be ok,based on a 'lifetime' recommendation from the manufacturer who won't specify what they consider to be the car's lifetime,and your unwillingness to get a slightly trickier job than most done on your car.

Justin...
Old 02-21-11, 04:45 AM
hrp
Rookie

Default One last question and my conclusion.

The car (and tranny) gets serviced this week. From what I've read here from you good folks, sounds like a simple fluid change would be the best way to go unless the existing fluid is cruddy. Thereafter, a 30k change. This car is not driven hard or under extreme conditions, usually driven on trips of 10+ miles at least, is garaged, and with the exception of the tranny has been serviced regularly.

My question: Are there filters, etc within the tranny which need to be changed? (Dropping the pan?)

Remember, this is a 2002 LS430 with the 5 speed, bought new in late summer 2002.

Thanks,
HRP