LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Where did all LS 430 go?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-11, 08:46 AM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where did all LS 430 go?

This being New York, there're tons of luxury cars on the road. When LS 430 was in production, I saw hundreds of them every day on the road. Now I hardly see any of them, may be once a week. LS is the most reliable top of the line vehicle in the market, they should last well north of 150,000 miles, they can't end up in junk yards this quick. Were they shipped to less affluent part of the country or even foreign countries? Why do they disappear from the road so quickly and completely, at least in the NY area. Where did they go? Same thing with other top of the line models like the BMW 7 series and MB S class.

Last edited by Member; 02-12-11 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-12-11, 09:04 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you already put up part of the answer. they were shipped to less afluent parts of the country however this sounds vaguely less PC than the real truth. i bought my UL from lex of manhattan through a dealership in NJ a little over 2 years ago as it was a 3 year lease turn in... i'm guessing that a lot of folks in NYC just lease their vehicles or sell/trade after 2-4 years.

when i lived in japan i noticed that in some parts the cost of living was extremely high like tokyo or osaka where the average individual makes like 30% more than their same counterpart in a smaller area city or town just outside the big city. in these big cities since the jobs paid a little more the individuals seemed like they could afford more expensive cars, you could see lots of special edition or extremely high end versions of some of our favorite cars (amg was the base model almost and a lot of brabus's and other high end v12 makes from bmw and the likes could be seen every day).

but does this mean that since your cost of living is 2 times the norm that you are more affluent? if you make 150k a year instead of 100k a year but your rent is 3000 instead of 2000 who is more affluent¿¿¿ my answer is whoever has the most take home pay after all the bills are paid. so maybe some small town in alabama or georgia would win this if the individual makes 90k but only pays 900 for their mortgage on their big *** house,, in my opinion.

i have noticed that places like socal, nyc, and miami get the newer cars in more abundance first (obviously with some areas making small exceptions), and then other cities like DC, seattle, atl, and larger cities and suburban areas up and down the east coast and west coast second. then after about 2-4 years after this they start heading inward towards the middle american type places,, although they are still stuck on dodge trucks, saturns, and oldsmobiles to me

***in the last 12 months i have seen an explosion in the amount of ls430's in the dc/baltimore suburban areas... kinda pisses me off to no end cuz this is what made me sell my gs400 and step it up to the ls430, but presently i am just trying to mod my LS so that it stands out amongst its peers, even to the not so keen eye of the 65y.o. man in the ls430 next to me, no offense but i think psychologically if your brain is not focused on a mod you will never notice it, but once you change even say your headlight color or grill your brain and eye will be more trained to all of the sudden notice this small variance in other autos on the road, and lets face it, old people don't mod cars

Last edited by sojah; 02-12-11 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-12-11, 09:41 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
... then after about 2-4 years after this they start heading inward towards the middle american type places,, although they are still stuck on dodge trucks, saturns, and oldsmobiles to me

... presently i am just trying to mod my LS so that it stands out amongst its peers, even to the not so keen eye of the 65y.o. man in the ls430 next to me, no offense but i think psychologically if your brain is not focused on a mod you will never notice it, but once you change even say your headlight color or grill your brain and eye will be more trained to all of the sudden notice this small variance in other autos on the road, and lets face it, old people don't mod cars
Us old farts out here in flyover country who don't buy new luxury cars are glad to receive your un-modded, hand-me-down, LS430s. And yes, I had a Dodge Dakota chore truck until last summer.

Now don't be cutting any dad-gum cookie sheet holes in the hood of your LS430 before sending it off to us. It's time for my nap.
Old 02-12-11, 09:45 AM
Vpanin
Pole Position

I would have to agree. NYC doesnt have to many LS430s on its streets. Makes me feel so much more special when im riding.....lol. Another problem is find an LS to buy in NYC. The choices are very limited
Old 02-12-11, 09:55 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Us old farts out here in flyover country who don't buy new luxury cars are glad to receive your un-modded, hand-me-down, LS430s. And yes, I had a Dodge Dakota chore truck until last summer.

Now don't be cutting any dad-gum cookie sheet holes in the hood of your LS430 before sending it off to us. It's time for my nap.
i'm actually really looking forward to being able to take a nap every afternoon.
Old 02-12-11, 12:53 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I am a certified old fart and have a custom grille - HOO-aah. Of course I had to take a nap after I spent 45 minutes installing it.

I agree on a modified definition of affluence. For me true affluence equals disposable income that can be spent on having fun (and having nice cars). Disposable income to me is the money left over to spend after paying for food, taxes, insurance, and housing costs. So in that regard I would wager that DFW far outranks NYC area in terms of people's average disposable income.

No city tax, no state income tax, ultra low housing prices - you would be amazed at the number of high end cars in DFW. LS430's are a dime a dozen. I see Porsche Panamericas, Bentley sedans, high end Mercedes, Lamborghini - and that's just on the way to Costco this morning : )

Lots of the wholesalers of high end luxury cars in DFW get them at the Northeast auto auctions - although smart buyers generally shy away from Northern cars due to fears of rust, they still sells tons of them down here.
Old 02-12-11, 02:55 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I am a certified old fart and have a custom grille - HOO-aah. Of course I had to take a nap after I spent 45 minutes installing it.

I agree on a modified definition of affluence. For me true affluence equals disposable income that can be spent on having fun (and having nice cars). Disposable income to me is the money left over to spend after paying for food, taxes, insurance, and housing costs. So in that regard I would wager that DFW far outranks NYC area in terms of people's average disposable income.

No city tax, no state income tax, ultra low housing prices - you would be amazed at the number of high end cars in DFW. LS430's are a dime a dozen. I see Porsche Panamericas, Bentley sedans, high end Mercedes, Lamborghini - and that's just on the way to Costco this morning : )

Lots of the wholesalers of high end luxury cars in DFW get them at the Northeast auto auctions - although smart buyers generally shy away from Northern cars due to fears of rust, they still sells tons of them down here.
nice ^ ^ ^ ,,, i have noticed that locations where there is a large gov sector usually is of a better living standard... cities/ areas like chicago, dfw (area) dc, socal, etc... seem to have better stuff.
Old 02-12-11, 08:45 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

To Florida. I just bought a preowned LS from Texas but looked at many Carfax reports from cars that started in NY or the Northeast and ended up in Boca or Naples.

I also believe it has to do with leasing.
Old 02-13-11, 01:06 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the same over here. Sydney City Lexus advertise quite regularly to get new buyers in. Their main target? People who lease the cars short term.

A more mainstream brand like GM (Known as Holden here) will have a sale,where they'll do a run-out of a model and drop a few grand off of the pricetag. Lexus will offer heavily discounted finance... Totally different market.
They know their buyers want the latest and greatest,more for prestige than anything else,and will trade it back in in 2-3years for the next one. The buyer will most likely be from an affluent suburb,with a high cost of living and higher average income.

The guy who picks the same car up at the end of the lease is buying it to keep it,and will more likely either pay for it outright or get a short term loan. This buyer will be middle class,who wants a nice car for a price he can justify.

When the car turns up on the used market next,it's depreciated by at least 70% and will have quite a few miles on it. it's now getting a bit long in the tooth for the second owner,and he wants to shed it while it's still worth something and isn't giving him trouble..yet. This is when the car goes for a song to someone from the working class,usually from a rougher and poorer area. This guy will pay cash for the car,and will do all his own work on it maintaining and keeping it on the road. he'll likely keep the car until he can no longer afford to repair it,and then it will go to the junkyard.

As for who has the best quality of life out of the group,that's a whole other discussion.

Justin...
Old 02-13-11, 01:47 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Here in Florida, every other car is an LS430. There are zillions of them. Of course there are plenty of old people as well.
Old 02-13-11, 07:10 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As many have said, people who drive those cars are people who are living at the top in NY. They don't glance twice at getting a new expensive car every 2-3 yrs. Leasing is a lot more convenient for them and also allows them to drive around in the latest models. I was recently in NYC and say a bunch of Panameras there, the odd Continental GT and a sick black Phantom. Took one of those boat tours and heard an obscene number of ppl there pull in $1+ million a yr after taxes. Come over to MI and the LS430 is pretty much the nicest car you will see (aside from the odd Ferrari or two running around).

As for modding....I am a young guy in college. I have a bone stock 430 b/c the mods that I want (coils, Wald rims) are way out of my price range
Old 02-13-11, 07:15 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock

I'm moving to TX after med school..... No income tax?? Really?

I actually really liked Texas, I was in the Houston area for vacation once (a small town called Sugarland). Some amazing houses for what would be just an OK house in Ann Arbor, MI. Gotta love 60-70s in the winter as well.
Old 02-13-11, 07:59 PM
jaxrwld
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of the 430's were shipped overseas. I know someone who has shipped hundreds if not thousands to Dubai. There are not many left around.
Old 02-14-11, 07:45 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My parents live out in Queens and I drive out there every other week. We once in a while see a 430 roaming around. I'd say in the two years since I've owned my 430, I've seen perhaps three others in NYC and with NY plates. In same period, I've seen atleast 15 different ones in NJ, with NJ or PA plates.

So yes, they've migrated from NY to outer boardering states. Me included...
Old 02-15-11, 03:07 PM
TurboTodd
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Everyday I see around a dozen or so in my short commute to work. Lots of newer S classes, 5 and 7-series, even a Bentley or two as well. Interestingly, I don't see as many LS460's even though there are lots of newer luxury cars along my commute. I always found that a bit interesting.

Quick Reply: Where did all LS 430 go?