Has anyone removed 6 CD Player/Replace with Single DIN

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-11, 10:24 AM
Jacks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone removed 6 CD Player/Replace with Single DIN

Hey Guys,

I want to upgrade my '01 LS430 Ultra to have today's features of of XM/Sirius Radio, Bluetooth to play music from mobile phone, Speakerphone, Front USB Input, etc.

Without tearing apart the dash to find out I'm wrong, I wanted to air this out and see what you Lex-perts thought of the idea.

Here it is:

The 6 cd changer appears to be single-DIN. If I swap out the CD changer for a loaded single-DIN Car stereo (Crutchfield has a ton) with all the bells and whistles and it has the pre-outs to hook into the factory installed system CD input, I should just have to push the "CD" button on the dash and have all the functionality I am looking for, less the FM radio, which I would already have in the main unit. Right?

Here's my conerns:

1. The new radio would need be very flat faced so the front panel can still close and keep the original appearance of the interior?

2. Would simple 2 channel pre-outs with RCA connections hook into the main radio. Has anyone pulled it seen how the CD changer is attached to the main radio?

3. Would RCA connections even work or do I need to splice wires?

4. Are 2 channels enough as they do sell single-DIN's with 2, 4, 5 pre-outs?

The idea seems quite simple, but it seems too simple. What am I missing? Look forward to your ideas.

Thanks.
Old 02-05-11, 11:51 AM
vadorade
Driver School Candidate

I plan on doing something like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8_bHBpoNb0
Old 02-05-11, 03:09 PM
Jacks
Driver School Candidate

Now that's what I'm talking about! Where can I buy it?
Old 02-05-11, 10:14 PM
vadorade
Driver School Candidate

I think this was custom made in Japan... so not sure if you can buy it. I will rig it up myself with the help of a friend. will keep ya updated. I like the idea of having the single DIN/screen hidden when not in use to deter theft, and replacing the CD changer is perfect for this.
Old 02-06-11, 05:00 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

first thing i noticed was the volume and tune were flipped around backwards but then i noticed the steering wheel on the right hand side, therefore i guess they put the volume closest to the driver.

looks nice good luck.
Old 02-06-11, 08:02 AM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's big boy style there
Old 02-07-11, 06:26 AM
LexusJoey
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

That is SICK !!!!
Old 02-12-11, 09:02 AM
Jacks
Driver School Candidate

I'm hoping to pull something off a little more realistic like this one off using VAIS Tech and just using the pre-outs on the aftermarket radio.

I should get XM, Bluetooth, HD Radio, USB input, IPod connection, etc.
Attached Thumbnails Has anyone removed 6 CD Player/Replace with Single DIN-clarion-ls430.jpg  
Old 02-12-11, 09:17 AM
vadorade
Driver School Candidate

Jack, I saw this picture too and thought about going that route but saw a feel problems. Modification of stock dash is still necessary because single DINs wont fit into the small slot on our ls430...the slot in the picture was cut on both sides in order to fit the radio. Also, it is very hard to find a radio that is flat since most have a **** that protrudes out, making it hard to close the wood door. the radio in the video solves this problem.
Old 02-19-11, 04:22 AM
1stock06
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vadorade
Jack, I saw this picture too and thought about going that route but saw a feel problems. Modification of stock dash is still necessary because single DINs wont fit into the small slot on our ls430...the slot in the picture was cut on both sides in order to fit the radio. Also, it is very hard to find a radio that is flat since most have a **** that protrudes out, making it hard to close the wood door. the radio in the video solves this problem.
Slight modding of the factory bay will be required. The flip down door can also be hollow-ed out. You can shave down the control **** shaft for more clearance. My ride is in the shop (rewire amp and speakers). I can post pics in a few days. Depending on the skill of the tech that will do the work, a day and a half to mod the bay and install the head unit should do.

The end product is truly worth it. It will look almost too stock.
Old 02-19-11, 08:54 AM
brio_ls
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1stock06
Slight modding of the factory bay will be required. The flip down door can also be hollow-ed out. You can shave down the control **** shaft for more clearance. My ride is in the shop (rewire amp and speakers). I can post pics in a few days. Depending on the skill of the tech that will do the work, a day and a half to mod the bay and install the head unit should do.

Sorry if i'm missing something, but what did you do with the OEM CD changer? Did you extend the wires and hide it into the glove box or just removed it for ever?
Old 02-19-11, 01:23 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The changer is usually binned. Vaistech uses the changer's connections and emulates the changer's function,but using your own input source. the car thinks it's playing thechanger,when in actuality it's playing your Ipod or whatever.

Justin...
Old 02-19-11, 03:58 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

The Vaistech SL2Vi allows either the existing or iPod to be selected and used. Selection is made my pushing the audio CD button. Pushing it again selects the alternate connection, iPod for instance.
Old 02-20-11, 04:29 AM
1stock06
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by brio_ls
Sorry if i'm missing something, but what did you do with the OEM CD changer? Did you extend the wires and hide it into the glove box or just removed it for ever?

the existing changer is removed. totally gone. you still need the factory radio control unit. (according to the Tech that did my install)
Old 04-22-11, 08:34 PM
agunjal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1stock06

hi - were you able to post pics. I am going to try and make a single DIN fit as I have already removed my CD changer. Wanted to see if anyone else had any tips

Quick Reply: Has anyone removed 6 CD Player/Replace with Single DIN