LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Windshield crack

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-11, 04:34 PM
PoBob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield crack

The windshield on my '06 LS cracked on the driver's side about mid-way between the rear-view mirror and left post from the top down about 3 inches for no apparent reason. Has anyone else had this problem? There's less than 20K on the clock and one year out of warranty, as luck would have it.
Old 02-01-11, 05:01 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

all you can do is put a new windshield in.i would go oem and pay your deductible.sucks though.where are you in ga?
Old 02-01-11, 06:35 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

It sounds like an insurance claim under comprehensive. Front windshields usually don't have a deductable (at least they don't in Florida). Make sure you get OEM or issues might arise with your rain sensor. Good luck.
FYI.....The factory windshield lists for over $2000.
Old 02-01-11, 06:43 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It wouldn't crack from that point for no reason. Something had to have impacted on it at some point, possible when parked outside and it just happened to fracture now.
Old 02-01-11, 08:42 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When my windshield had a crack I went to a place called New Better Auto Glass in Md. And had mines replaced for like 250.00 my deduct was 500.00 so I went with them out of pocket. I've had no problems what so ever with my sensors or anytjing except it seems to have more glare in the windshield in direct sun without my shades on. Search around GL
Old 02-01-11, 08:51 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

The 06 OEM windshield has a specially coating that repels rain. If you get a non OEM glass you will lose that feature. May not be a big deal so long as you know what you are getting.
Old 02-02-11, 06:49 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

definately had to have been impacted in some way - be sure when/if you recieve the new glass, focus to an object in the distance and move your head up and down/left and right staying focused on that object. do that same pattern from the passenger seat. if you see any ripples/waves that will interfere when you are driving, be sure and reject the install. or it will give you a constant headache. I had to reject an OEM windshield they replaced in my Acura Vigor for that reason.
Old 02-02-11, 10:01 AM
PoBob
Driver School Candidate

Yes jimbosr1, it does indeed suck. I'm in Snellville, east of Atlanta. To Bocatrip and Jabberwock's points, thanks. I had considered both the rain sensor and rain coating as justification for insisting on an OEM windshield. It's good to hear that GLIDESUL had no sensor issues. And AlexusAnja and Marklouis, I agree that something must have impacted it, but I didn't witness it and there are absolutely no marks indicating such. Thanks to all!
Old 02-02-11, 11:00 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PoBob
Yes jimbosr1, it does indeed suck. I'm in Snellville, east of Atlanta. To Bocatrip and Jabberwock's points, thanks. I had considered both the rain sensor and rain coating as justification for insisting on an OEM windshield. It's good to hear that GLIDESUL had no sensor issues. And AlexusAnja and Marklouis, I agree that something must have impacted it, but I didn't witness it and there are absolutely no marks indicating such. Thanks to all!
in that case it was that kid down the street driving by with 4000 watt driven 18" sledgehammer subwoofers
Old 02-04-11, 07:04 AM
dtaylor
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

PoBob, Call your insurance AGENT (have a discussion with him prior to filing a claim) Ask if he has a no deductible glass option for your Comprehensive (AKA other than collision) coverage. Many times you can get a ZERO deductible for glass and the cost is minimal.

I ALWAYS sell this to my clients who drive high end cars with devices in the windshield. I know it's available in most states but not sure about the particulars in Georgia. Also check with Safelite.com. They do an excellent job. Unless you have a dealer only item, they will be the cheapest and could very well cost less than your deductible.
Old 02-04-11, 02:10 PM
PoBob
Driver School Candidate

Thanks dtaylor. I reviewed my policy last night and that option is there, but I didn't opt for it. I didn't even know about it until last night. I've got a $250 comprehensive deductible. I had intended to call my insurance company today but got busy and forgot about it. I'll do it Monday.

I would rather go OEM if I can and pay the $250. But if there's a problem with that, I'll check out Safelite.com.

Cheers!
Old 02-04-11, 04:37 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PoBob
Thanks dtaylor. I reviewed my policy last night and that option is there, but I didn't opt for it. I didn't even know about it until last night. I've got a $250 comprehensive deductible. I had intended to call my insurance company today but got busy and forgot about it. I'll do it Monday.

I would rather go OEM if I can and pay the $250. But if there's a problem with that, I'll check out Safelite.com.

Cheers!
You need to insist from the get go that you only want the OEM glass or the insurance company will automatically send you aftermarket. When you get the glass look for the Lexus or Toyota logo on the bottom corner. There is a difference with OEM and aftermarket glass. I got mine replaced without a fight from the insurance company but each company has different policies. Safelite originally came out to fix a stone chip and left me with a crack accross the windshield. I then had to go for the entire glass. Also make sure you get a new pad for the rain sensor. You don't want them scrapping the old one off to reuse! Good luck.
Old 02-04-11, 08:35 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

The Toyota/Lexus windshields will crack if a rock strikes the windshield within about an inch of the edge. That area is under tremendous stress. When a rock hits far enough away from the edge, the windshield slightly flexes to absorb the impact. But near the edge, the glass takes all the impact. I lost 3 windshields in 3 years on my LX (each time, replaced w/ OEM glass). The first time, a rock hit about 1 inch from the PS vertical center edge and cracked about 1.5 ft long. The second strike was just below the wiper blades in the center bottom, again about 1 in from the edge. It resulted in a 12" long crack up the center. BTW, the first windshield cost $1K out the door. Exactly one year later, the second windshield cost $1.2K. Exactly one year after that, the third windshield cost $1.5K. At that time, the SM at the dealer said he just replaced a windshield on a LS430, costing almost $1.7K. That was 2 yrs ago, so I suspect a LS 430 OEM windshield to run $2K easy. BTW, you want someone who is familiar with the LS windshield to replace it since, like the LX, it has rivets on the side (unusual for a windshield). Many people on the LX/landcruiser forum have gone aftermarket to save money, only to find either their windshields leaked afterwards, the mouldings didn't sit flat and whistled in the wind, or in some cases, the installer had difficulty removing the old glass and scratched, bent the body metal around the windshield. The dealers don't do the installations themselves. Rather, they contract out to a glass shop that is familiar with their models. If you could find out which glass shop they use, you could probably save 50% on the labor (IIRC, the labor was around $300 through the dealer). But that's only $150 out of $1500, or 10% savings. The bulk of the cost is in the parts...$1K for the glass alone, plus mouldings, rivets, rain sensor, etc.
Old 02-04-11, 08:42 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Lexus subs out their windshield installs to independent shops such as safelite.
Old 02-06-11, 02:28 PM
PoBob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
You need to insist from the get go that you only want the OEM glass or the insurance company will automatically send you aftermarket. When you get the glass look for the Lexus or Toyota logo on the bottom corner. There is a difference with OEM and aftermarket glass. I got mine replaced without a fight from the insurance company but each company has different policies. Safelite originally came out to fix a stone chip and left me with a crack accross the windshield. I then had to go for the entire glass. Also make sure you get a new pad for the rain sensor. You don't want them scrapping the old one off to reuse! Good luck.
Thanks for the info! I think my insurance company will do the right thing. They've been very good so far...

Quick Reply: Windshield crack