LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Intro from Australia

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-11, 10:57 PM
bfg23
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Intro from Australia

Hey guys, my name is Sam and im from Australia, Adelaide to be more precise.
I have been a lurker for a few weeks now reading and reading and reading, but decided to say g'day.

I had a 1990 toyota celsior with all the options that I recently sold to make room for a 430. Ill get some pictures up of my old celsior as it was kind of unique I guess, and definately get some pictures up when I do get around to getting the four-thirty. They are few and far between downunder with only a dozen for sale online in the whole country right now.

Happy driving and peace out.

Found a bad quality photo of when I first got the celsior, Ill get some more off the other computer and put them up.

Last edited by bfg23; 01-03-11 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Added picture
Old 01-04-11, 02:50 AM
Dutchie101
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heya Sam!
Im from Adelaide too! Just got my 2002 LS430 a few weeks back. Hopefully we can catch up sometime and share info &/or go for a cruise.. Good to see another Aussie on here

Whatchya got planned for your 430?
My stocker 430, only 65,000k

Ive got plenty of stuff on the way from Japan...
Old 01-04-11, 04:06 AM
bfg23
Driver

I dont even have the 430 yet.
Plans are probably just wheels, coilovers, and an aftermarket headunit with navi.
Maybe some curtains and a few other interior goodies. I wont go as crazy with the 430 as I did with my celsior.

Did you get yours from interstate? It looks like ill be having to go interstate to pick one up since there are none for sale in SA.
Where abouts in Adelaide are you? Them photos look like the underground car park at TTp....

Also definately down for a cruise when I get mine.
Old 01-04-11, 05:59 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome aboard Sam. From what I've heard from the Australian members (and as you said) getting a 430 there tough. As big of a place as the US is it's even tough to find the perfect example here (some members search over 7 months!!). Be patient I'm sure the perfect one will come around. In fact, there's a cool Australian on here, Fergo308, that waited for months but ended up picking out a beautiful facelift flint mica 430. Good luck with your search, hope you find your new baby soon!
Old 01-04-11, 06:01 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh yeah, very nice 430 btw Dutchie! She is pristine!
Old 01-04-11, 06:44 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to CL!
Old 01-04-11, 02:41 PM
CelsiorAUS
Driver

Hey guys im from sydney and have a 2001 LS430. Enjoy the forums!
Old 01-04-11, 04:15 PM
Dutchie101
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good spotting Sam, yep, its the TTP carpark
Man, your street looks like Gaylard crs in RP but im not sure...Could be wrong..

I sourced mine from Perth. Had a few friends look over it, negotiated pretty hard with the Toyota dealer over there, had an independent inspector check it out, the dealer paid for the delivery, and i got 3 year new car warranty for only AU1500 (was 2500 but i play hardball) . Loving it.

I did want a facelift 430, but settled on this one cause f the low km's and mint condition. I can always get a front end sent over from Japan and do the swap later.

Hope you find one, i was very very lucky to find a 2002 for the price i got it for with only 65,000 on it. As you know, most have done 120-220 thou...

I have a few things planned for it and on the way from Japan, but ill start a members thread for that..
Old 01-04-11, 04:29 PM
bfg23
Driver

No, its parked at my mates house the day after I got it showing it off, but not Gaylard crescent...

How close to that street are you? Thats a few corners from my parents place in RP, but im in Para Vista.
Wow Adelaide is waaay to small, I WILL see you around sooner or later, I have only ever seen one gold one driving around, and I know the owners of the funeral place in TTG own one as well.
Old 01-04-11, 11:02 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Sam, Welcome officially to the forum! I might be down in Adelaide around march visiting a mate who lives in the hills. If I drive down I'll give you guys a yell.

As carguy said,hold out for the right car. Even though there are only ever a dozen or so on car sales,they DO turnover every month or so,with the odd new listing popping up.

dutchie:
There's a bit more to the kouki version than just the panels. I personally wouldn't spend the cash to change the front end and bootlid if I was in your place. zenki 430's look nice as they are,and that money could be put to far better uses...like coilovers and wheels... ;-)
Panel facelifts and features aside,there's a big price difference between zenkis and koukis as well,with the zenkis being a real bargain if you can find one in good nick. You get a LOT of car for $25k.

btw,who are you going through for parts importing? I've used a guy based in japan who will trade on yahoo auctions or will buy from shops and send over to you for gear for several of my previous cars and the fees were quite reasonable. PM if you don't want to post details publicly.

Justin...
Old 01-05-11, 11:14 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

a while back in japan i had a zenki y33 gloria and went to a junkyard and found various parts to make it a kouki for pretty cheap. but if you are gonna buy all new parts i would just get a new body kit all together which would change out the fog lights at least and prolly the tail pipes too. then you just have the front and rear lights that are different. ohh and get a new trunk lid as well.
Old 02-23-11, 01:02 AM
bfg23
Driver

Well I finally found a 430 within my price range. Went interstate within Australia and drove home 900km with it. Was pleasantly surprised to get over 900km to a single tank of fuel.
I gave it a very quick hand polish, but need to clay it all and spend a good day doing it all thoroughly.
Seems in Australia the only optional extras we could get on the 430's are nav, and the rear seat entertainment package. All the other goodies like smartkey, power sunshade, power door closers, cool box in the rear are all standard.
I have never seen any pictures of a 430 in this colour either

My only peeves with it are that the previous owner was a hefty fella at 150-160kgs so he has flattened the drivers seat cushion enough to start to get uncomfortable after about half hour in the seat.
And it needs new brake rotors on the rear as it shudders when braking at high speed. (knew this when purchasing, got half a grand off the price because of it)
Old 02-23-11, 01:56 AM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice buy mate,pretty sweet car for a P plater. ;-)

Seat cushion isn't a huge job,I'm pretty sure there's a thread on here with DIY details for replacing it.
Needing brakes isn't a surprise either in a car this heavy. Mine needed front discs when I bought it,another that I test drove had just had the front pads and discs replaced by the dealer,and another needed them,and the dealer agreed to replace them if the sale went ahead...

Justin...
Old 02-23-11, 02:21 AM
bfg23
Driver

Yeah the inspection report from blackburn Lexus said that the fronts need replacing too, but the previous owner had them replaced with non-OEM about 20thousand km before I bought it, so it makes me wonder if the aftermarkets were not as thick as the OEM's 30mm.

Dang P plates, im 24 and lost my licence about a year ago for 'not displaying plates' simply because the rear plate had fallen off and onto the parcel shelf. Now I dont get off the P's until 2013.
Old 02-23-11, 04:24 AM
Twix
Pole Position

Sorry, for the interest sakes...what are P license plates?

Quick Reply: Intro from Australia