LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

This is the best rear wheel drive car to drive in snow!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-10, 05:42 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I agree with Alex... inclines, avg tires, heavier snows, stop and starts, the mountains I would pack some cable chains. Are chains available for the LS, do they fit with the low clearance?

Otherwise I am having a great time skiing in the snowblet in the UP, throwing the LS into corners like a road rally and having the Stab Trac center me up every time.
Old 12-31-10, 08:53 AM
LS430_Mike
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I want to know what cars you are comparing this LS to? This has got to be one of the worst cars I have ever driven in the snow. I even have dunlop snows on it and it still is "ok" at best.

Now my old E38 7 series, that thing was a winter warrior. Nothing stopped that beast. Even with a basic all season tire.
Old 12-31-10, 11:13 AM
KINGLS430
Pole Position

Down the New Jersey Shore we got hit with 36 inches of snow once i was done shoveling and snow blowing. I pulled the car out of the garage and drove it on straight ice with 2\32 tradlife left on the primacy's and it handled like a dream i am currently at teh dealership putting on Piliots and taking the primacy's off. Hopefully if we get hit again i will be ready.
Old 01-02-11, 12:53 AM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run 18's on my 430 and the dunlop DZ101's it's currently fitted with are nothing to be excited about. I'll be replacing them as soon as they wear down a bit more...might have to turn the trc off occasionally and help them along some... ;-)

I don't get snow where I live,but on a wet road,the car can be frustrating. When driving sedately and not looking for trouble,it's great,and the stability and traction controls work quite well to keep it straight.

Where it frustrates me,is when you want to go quicker.

Granted it's a luxury vehicle,and not meant to be pushed hard,but the VSC not turning off with the TRC is annoying. I'm quite capable of controlling a car in a slide,and am not adverse to putting the LS into one deliberately on occasion. My old UCF11 was a load of fun to slide around when the urge took me,but it's almost not possible in the 30 series,even with the traction control off.

Being able to switch off the driving aids,and having an LSD in the back would greatly improve the fun factor IMHO. Even when I'm not playing at being a kid drifter and just want to tear up a twisty back road.

Justin...
Old 01-03-11, 07:09 AM
mjblaw
Driver School Candidate

Default Taos Snow Report

Drove up to the Taos ski area from Taos twice. New snow hit on the way to Taos, I-40 was shut down for a couple hours . Lexus LS handled the snow ok, I got to learn the other gears, which performed well. It kicked loose some in the snowy parking lots, and going uphill in the lots I spun out some, but the snow trac did real well overall. It sure beat the heck out the 2wheel drive Yukon I tried this on before!
This was not flat land snow btw!
Old 01-28-11, 09:15 AM
sscheuri
Driver School Candidate

Talking Absolutely outstanding...

I just registered to the forums because I had to sing the praises of this car in the snow.

I survived the snow beatdown here in Northern Virginia. The LS430 was unstoppable and unfazed during the peak of the storm (4 PM on). When all front wheel drive sedans and minivans were spinning trying to go up multiple hills from a dead stop, my LS dominated on Dunlop SuperSport 5000Ms in snow mode.
Couple other tips:
1. I have a UL version, so I set the suspension to High.
2. I had a full tank of gas.
3. Did I mention snow mode?

I guess the weight of this car helps the whole process too. My expectations were so low and this car blew them out of the water.

I am looking into the snow tires which have been discussed a many in the forums - I can't believe it can do even better.
Old 01-28-11, 09:34 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fergo308
I run 18's on my 430 and the dunlop DZ101's it's currently fitted with are nothing to be excited about. I'll be replacing them as soon as they wear down a bit more...might have to turn the trc off occasionally and help them along some... ;-)

I don't get snow where I live,but on a wet road,the car can be frustrating. When driving sedately and not looking for trouble,it's great,and the stability and traction controls work quite well to keep it straight.

Where it frustrates me,is when you want to go quicker.

Granted it's a luxury vehicle,and not meant to be pushed hard,but the VSC not turning off with the TRC is annoying. I'm quite capable of controlling a car in a slide,and am not adverse to putting the LS into one deliberately on occasion. My old UCF11 was a load of fun to slide around when the urge took me,but it's almost not possible in the 30 series,even with the traction control off.

Being able to switch off the driving aids,and having an LSD in the back would greatly improve the fun factor IMHO. Even when I'm not playing at being a kid drifter and just want to tear up a twisty back road.

Justin...
My feelings exactly!!! I tried to have some fun last night, but VSC ruined most of my powerslides. To be honest, most productions cars (sports cars aside) will do decently in the snow if you drive it with common sense (ie slow down when necessary, keep a large distance b/t you and the car in front). However, nothing is as entertaining in the snow when you want to have some fun as a rear drive car. Having VSC permanently on takes away greatly from the experience. I wish it was like BMW, where it allowed all systems to be turned off if you held traction off button for a few seconds.
Old 01-28-11, 10:14 AM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
My feelings exactly!!! I tried to have some fun last night, but VSC ruined most of my powerslides. To be honest, most productions cars (sports cars aside) will do decently in the snow if you drive it with common sense (ie slow down when necessary, keep a large distance b/t you and the car in front). However, nothing is as entertaining in the snow when you want to have some fun as a rear drive car. Having VSC permanently on takes away greatly from the experience. I wish it was like BMW, where it allowed all systems to be turned off if you held traction off button for a few seconds.

I wish we had an option to turn the VSC off.........lol
Old 01-28-11, 10:58 AM
curiousB
Rookie

Originally Posted by sscheuri
I just registered to the forums because I had to sing the praises of this car in the snow.

I survived the snow beatdown here in Northern Virginia. The LS430 was unstoppable and unfazed during the peak of the storm (4 PM on). When all front wheel drive sedans and minivans were spinning trying to go up multiple hills from a dead stop, my LS dominated on Dunlop SuperSport 5000Ms in snow mode.
Couple other tips:
1. I have a UL version, so I set the suspension to High.
2. I had a full tank of gas.
3. Did I mention snow mode?

I guess the weight of this car helps the whole process too. My expectations were so low and this car blew them out of the water.

I am looking into the snow tires which have been discussed a many in the forums - I can't believe it can do even better.
I couldn't disagree more. I love my LS430 but feel it is very poor in snow. I'd much rather have a front wheel drive with the weight on the drive wheels when it comes to snow.
Old 01-28-11, 11:12 AM
2004TOYO
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
This seems like a great argument for the need to have good tires. Since we are all running the same car here, the only real difference are tires. I have stock Dunlop Sports and they break very easily in snow. Stability control kicks in sometimes, but the rear comes out at other times, highly entertaining but not very predictable
Yeah, these Dunlops are NOT the best for this car so I dont have any rave reviews about snow driving in the LS. Looking forward when the time comes to get my Primacys.
Old 01-28-11, 01:37 PM
mndaves
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Don't forget to look at the Conti DWS if you want a great year-round tire... We've had a little snow here this winter and I've had no problems.
Old 01-28-11, 01:47 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mndaves
Don't forget to look at the Conti DWS if you want a great year-round tire... We've had a little snow here this winter and I've had no problems.
I've really been wanting to try out a set ever since I heard about them a yr ago. They seem like the perfect tire set: quiet, smooth, capable in all weather settings, and very high speed rating (therefore stronger/higher quality?). Do you have these on your car?
Old 01-28-11, 02:32 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

dude yeah, i thought i was doing something wrong, turned the vsc off but trying to do donuts was really difficult cuz it kept beeping and trying to keep me on the straight and narrow,, no fun....

BTW this car sucks in the snow on the stock tires to me. not sure what you all are comparing it with, maybe a dodge viper perhaps¿¿¿
Old 01-28-11, 02:44 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

too bad I wasn't driving the LS wednesday, because I had to abandon my Mercedes and got a bill for $250 at the local towing company.
Old 01-30-11, 12:17 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

I've had 2 LSs now...1996 and a 2001, both sucked in the snow. I now have 240lbs of sand bags in my trunk and it handles really well on a snow.

Advice, for people who are having problems with your LS in the snow. Go down to your local hardware store, pick up 3-4 sand tubes (60lbs each), drop them in your trunk. And drive in the snow.

They work awsome now

Quick Reply: This is the best rear wheel drive car to drive in snow!