LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Battery goes dead but tests fine ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-10, 02:16 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

cool. Just looking our for my fellow CL member Best of luck!
Old 12-04-10, 10:06 AM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Jabberwock;

Its a PITA but you could try disconnecting the battery overnight and reconnecting in the am - if it starts np then it points to a vampire current draw.

If there have been no changes that might have been root cause of a current draw , I'd probably start by replacing the battery. If it continues to happen after you get a new battery, at least you will have eliminated probably the least expense to fix item (and you will have a brand new battery). btw if Lexus wants big $ for thier battery, you can get a CR excellent rated replacement battery (24F group) at Wal-mart for about $75. [/QUOTE]

Hi Jabbers -

Did you wind up getting your replacement battery from Walmart after all ? Seem to recall in another thread you'd checked out both Wal-Mart and Costco but someone else said Costco doesn't carry the 24f group. Btw, thanks for your suggestion(s).
Old 12-04-10, 08:43 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I did the battery research about a month ago because inbuilt "health" indicator on my battery (the round glowing blue or red indicator) was not glowing at all - it was black. So I thought since the battery is original OEM and its a 2006 that I would soon need a battery. I have been looking for any sign of weakness in starting from the battery but it still seems very strong. It likely won't last too much longer as the intense DFW summer heat rapidly ages batteries.

Based on the research I will get a Wal-mart battery - Costco does not have a 24f size. I have had very good experience with Wal-mart batteries in the past. Based on the info I found in researching batteries, it doesn't seem to me that spending a lot more money gets you any better built battery.
Old 01-01-11, 02:53 PM
dubsta1
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

had this same problem 2years ago. battery had dead cell but everytime it died i got a jump and dealer said no problem with battery. very next time battery died took it out and went to autozone for test and they found problem. bought new battery haven't had problem since.
Old 01-01-11, 08:51 PM
curiousB
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mewhee
Hi All -

Have just had my first semi major problem w/ my '02 CL 42k miles LS430 purchased last May so am seeking some of your input. For the last week or so, my car's been virtually dead every other morning. It gives the proverbial one or two chug tries and then the dreaded clicks. After the second jumpstart, I took it to the dealer to have the (Lexus brand dated '08) battery tested and it came up fine. They said they'd change it but couldn't guarantee that was the problem and didn't do any other deeper troubleshooting after nothing obvious showed up.

It was ok for a couple of days after the test but has since gone dead twice.
I only drive an average of 10 or so miles a day but still it's pretty much run EVERY day. Oh, I'm also pretty careful about making sure all the electronics are turned off prior to shutting down.

Any thoughts Thx in advance -
If you lived in a northern climate this might make more sense. Cranking current of a cold engine will be significantly higher than a warm one. A corroded connection or pitted starter motor solenoid might not be noticed on a warm start but rear its ugly head when the engine is cold and in need of lots of current to turn it over.
Old 01-08-11, 08:38 AM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Problem looks like it's solved ...

Originally Posted by dubsta1
had this same problem 2years ago. battery had dead cell but everytime it died i got a jump and dealer said no problem with battery. very next time battery died took it out and went to autozone for test and they found problem. bought new battery haven't had problem since.
Thx Dubsta -

Went to Walmart and bought a new one, installed it myself and haven't had a problem since - knock on wood. Am still wondering why my 2 yr old Lexus brand battery showed fine on the test equipment but failed intermittently.

Btw, can't recommend enough to get one of the portable jump-starters/air compressors which go for well under $100. at Amazon. It's saved my a** and wallet several times now, including keeping the tires at proper inflation levels.

Again, thx to all w/ the suggestions