LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Linea Corse Avant Rim

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-10, 11:03 PM
roumieh200
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Linea Corse Avant Rim

Will those rims fit on an 2005 LS430 without doing any adjustments?
http://uae.motors.souq.com/19-Linea-...ms/7570103-EN/

What is the average price of these considered as used ones?

Thinking of getting them up..
Old 11-24-10, 10:14 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could do all kinds of mods and those would still fit.
Old 11-24-10, 10:50 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Would the +35mm offset be a problem?
Old 11-25-10, 02:06 AM
roumieh200
Rookie

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Would the +35mm offset be a problem?

What does that mean
Old 11-25-10, 03:47 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

IIRC, offset is the distance from the middle of the width of the wheel to the surface that bolts to the hub in mm. I believe factory offset for the LS is +45. A +35 mm offset would tuck the wheel more into the wheel well and may not allow enough clearance for the brake calipers. Someone please correct me if I'm all wet on this.
Old 11-25-10, 06:35 AM
roumieh200
Rookie

IIRC, offset is the distance from the middle of the width of the wheel to the surface that bolts to the hub in mm. I believe factory offset for the LS is +45. A +35 mm offset would tuck the wheel more into the wheel well and may not allow enough clearance for the brake calipers. Someone please correct me if I'm all wet on this.
Would someone please comment on this, cause its important and vital in decision taking..
Old 11-26-10, 12:49 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've got the second part of that backwards mate.

Offset is the difference in distance from where the hub mounting face of the wheel is in relation to the centreline of the wheel rim. offset can be positive or negative.
Positive is usual on passenger cars for normal fitment. Many SUV's run negative offsets stock.

An 18x7.5" +45 offset wheel (the factory LS430 18") has it's mounting hub 45mm towards the OUTSIDE face of the wheel from the centreline. The same width wheel,with an offset of +35,would sit 10mm further OUTBOARD,towards the fender.

To work out offset for a given wheel,measure the overall width of the wheel rim in mm. Then divide that number in half and note it down.
If you then place a straight edge across the back of the rim,and use a ruler to measure the distance from the mounting hub face to the wheel's inside edge,the difference you'll see between that dimension,and what you got for half of the width of the rim, is the offset spec.

If the result is higher than half of the wheel's width,it's positive offset.
If the result if lower,it's negative.

Where comparing one set of wheels to another by offsets gets tricky is when the widths are not the same,as the amount the wheel rim will move either towards the fender,or inboard,away from it will be different. a 17x8" +32 wheel,and a 17x9" +45 will have their outer rim edge in almost exactly the same position in relation to the fender lip,even though the offset dimensions are quite different.

To determine what will fit onto your car,or what won't,the only 100% safe way is to physically measure it and do the math. Measure what's on there currently,work out where the new wheel will sit,and see if there's enough room for it to work,allowing a few mm for clearance.

Justin...

Last edited by fergo308; 11-26-10 at 12:57 PM. Reason: typo...
Old 11-27-10, 05:31 AM
roumieh200
Rookie

Originally Posted by fergo308

Offset is the difference in distance from where the hub mounting face of the wheel is in relation to the centreline of the wheel rim. offset can be positive or negative.
Positive is usual on passenger cars for normal fitment. Many SUV's run negative offsets stock.

An 18x7.5" +45 offset wheel (the factory LS430 18") has it's mounting hub 45mm towards the OUTSIDE face of the wheel from the centreline. The same width wheel,with an offset of +35,would sit 10mm further OUTBOARD,towards the fender.

To work out offset for a given wheel,measure the overall width of the wheel rim in mm. Then divide that number in half and note it down.
If you then place a straight edge across the back of the rim,and use a ruler to measure the distance from the mounting hub face to the wheel's inside edge,the difference you'll see between that dimension,and what you got for half of the width of the rim, is the offset spec.

If the result is higher than half of the wheel's width,it's positive offset.
If the result if lower,it's negative.

Where comparing one set of wheels to another by offsets gets tricky is when the widths are not the same,as the amount the wheel rim will move either towards the fender,or inboard,away from it will be different. a 17x8" +32 wheel,and a 17x9" +45 will have their outer rim edge in almost exactly the same position in relation to the fender lip,even though the offset dimensions are quite different.

To determine what will fit onto your car,or what won't,the only 100% safe way is to physically measure it and do the math. Measure what's on there currently,work out where the new wheel will sit,and see if there's enough room for it to work,allowing a few mm for clearance.

Justin...
Many thanks, Justin. It's clear now.
Old 11-27-10, 05:45 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Originally Posted by fergo308
Thanks, I can now picture it in my old head. So, if you have two wheels of the same width, the one with the lower positive offset will stick out further?
Old 11-27-10, 06:39 AM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, I can now picture it in my old head. So, if you have two wheels of the same width, the one with the lower positive offset will stick out further?
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=101
Old 11-27-10, 09:08 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

those would not be a problem to fit at all... around 3 inches of lip you need to roll your rear fenders, around 4 inches of lip and you need to shave rear fenders, and anything larger than 4" and you are looking at shaving and then some, i.e. pull or lots of camber and other things too.
Old 11-27-10, 11:26 PM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Hold on guys, you forgot about disc specs. The LS has huge calipers and needs wheels that clear big brake kits. I would check first because I can swear I remember one of the vendors saying the Linea's don't clear big brake kits.
Old 12-02-10, 09:41 PM
maximussp
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by j three
Hold on guys, you forgot about disc specs. The LS has huge calipers and needs wheels that clear big brake kits. I would check first because I can swear I remember one of the vendors saying the Linea's don't clear big brake kits.