LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Steering TELESCOPE FAILING - 2004 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-12, 06:48 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

My wheel is still working but was making noises, etc.. I have just disabled the wheel retraction when turning ignition off. I have positioned where I want it and it is all set. The only time it moves is when my wife presses the memory key to position wheel and seat to her position. Dealer can do the programming in 5 minutes and my did it for free as curtesy.

Last edited by Luke27617; 03-25-12 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-27-12, 09:58 PM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I ordered the bushing #45768-60011 from my local Toyota dealer and while there the service guy hooked up the laptop to reprogram my tilt/telescope for free. Took less that 10 minutes including entire discussion of the issue and walking out to the parking lot to my Lexus. Part has not arrived yet but I will update when I install a fresh bushing.
Old 04-02-12, 08:33 PM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed the bushing last week and it's not fixed. Either the motor is too weak or the wheel requires too much effort to move in-out. I have a sinking feeling that my steering column is too tight. I need to find something really slippery to work in there.
Old 04-03-12, 02:50 PM
Kweigel
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you're describing my car! Let us know what else, if anything, you use to lubricate the column sliders. I sure hope it's not the motor failing. It's upwards of $200.00.
Old 04-04-12, 03:52 PM
fencera
Rookie

Have you guys tried running the telescoping motor when it isn't connected to anything? Under no load do you still have a problem with it?

Right after I took off the bushing and nut that the bushing held, my motor didn't work correctly under NO load. It would click etc and seemed pretty hopeless. After some cleaning, silicone lubricant and fiddling, it started working correctly again under no load. Then, once I got it at one "end" of it's extension (as a reference point of operation), I hooked everything back up and it has worked fine since.

Hope that helps...
Old 04-05-12, 10:55 PM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for this thread guys. I just took the covers off and greased the tilt mechanism so it is smooth and quiet now. The telescoping isn't working so I removed the bushing and it was bad. I verified that the motor runs so hopefully if I replace the bushing it will work again. Just need to lube everything up good.
Old 07-25-12, 06:08 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Also on my to do list!
Old 07-26-12, 07:54 AM
john339
Driver

Thank you all for the pictures and the parts diagrams. This is a big help to all that are suffering from steering wheel-itis.
Old 07-26-12, 08:50 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It's pretty much self explanatory once you get the cowl off.
fyi, from manual i gathered, that these are high torque high voltage ac motors. Perhaps that's why they're a bit expensive.
Old 05-04-15, 03:01 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is there A detailed how to for the telescopic motor replacement like there was for the tilt motor? I replaced the tilt last year now the telescopic is acting up and showing signs of failure. Any help would be awesome.
Old 05-05-15, 12:19 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

My 2002's tilt/telescope had an occasional squeak which I think was temperature-dependent. Seemed to happen more often if it was over 25C in the car, and never if it was below 5C in the car.

Bought the 45768-60011 bushing for $5.20CAD at the Toyota dealership, removed and replaced the old one few months ago, hasn't squeaked since.
Old 05-09-15, 04:01 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I didnt read all of the pages just the last one. My telescope was not working....just slight movement and a slight sound. I tried the bushing w no help......then purchased the new motor and installed....there is another thread on this topic including pics. The replacement of this motor is easy if u have elf arms and fingers......I have an 04.....not all 430 s are the same under dash...please note that.....mine also has smart key etc. I was scared to remove the knee air bag so I worked around it.....I would advice unless u are an elf is to just remove the air bag for a simple motor replacement. I love having this feature working in my car...especially since I have alligator arms.....Its worth the cost of the motor....cost wasnt that bad....go for it

note......as previous poster noted......there is a programmed throw to the motor.....u want to install all the was screwed in.......then run the button all the way out...then back in......it needs to be installed in a position that the motors full set number of turns in or out to full extension work.......I had to remove mine after install.......then reinstall after I figured it out........hope this info helps......please research the other thread as well
Old 11-12-15, 02:29 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Good info in here. Need to replace motor on my 2005. will do bushing at the same time as well
Old 11-12-15, 06:28 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

BMORE....

I really busted my but to get my motor in without removing the air bag. I spoke w someone else who removed the airbag and had easy access. With easy access the replacement is very easy. Note...take the time to build yourself a nice platform to lay on your back face up under the dash....the time building a comfy platform to lay on will pay off. I laid my sturdy recycle trash can on its side and snugged into the crux of my open door .....I then laid a heavy movers blanket on top of the trash can. Nice and comfy.
Old 11-12-15, 09:49 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jpv7774
BMORE....

I really busted my but to get my motor in without removing the air bag. I spoke w someone else who removed the airbag and had easy access. With easy access the replacement is very easy. Note...take the time to build yourself a nice platform to lay on your back face up under the dash....the time building a comfy platform to lay on will pay off. I laid my sturdy recycle trash can on its side and snugged into the crux of my open door .....I then laid a heavy movers blanket on top of the trash can. Nice and comfy.
Thanks for the heads up. I did the tilt motor last year so I'm hoping this isn't too much more complicated. It was definitely cramped laying upside down under the dash lol.

Quick Reply: Steering TELESCOPE FAILING - 2004 LS430