LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What's required to get XM working with nav system in 06?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-10, 03:49 AM
914eener
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's required to get XM working with nav system in 06?

What is required to get XM working in an 06 with nav? I've done a search but can't quite pull it all together.
Old 11-11-10, 04:06 AM
daddykay24
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You need an aftermarket unit installed or see if someone is selling the discontinued factory box.
Old 11-11-10, 05:56 AM
LexusJoey
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

You need to make sure your factory unit has the word "SAT" on the AM button. If it does, then your factory unit is capable of having an XM or Siruis installed. Next step is this.

http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/serv...0&oldParentID=
Old 11-11-10, 07:16 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Not so sure....

Originally Posted by LexusJoey
You need to make sure your factory unit has the word "SAT" on the AM button. If it does, then your factory unit is capable of having an XM or Siruis installed. Next step is this.

http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/serv...0&oldParentID=
I'm not so sure about that. I think the SAT/AM button was generic. You still needed the factory installed SAT received installed to be able to get SAT. Usually with factory units, if your service is dead, you'll just get nothing or "no service" showing, but station "0" will be the ID of your unit.

If you press the SAT/AM button and get absolutely nothing but AM, then you don't have the unit installed.
Old 11-12-10, 05:47 AM
LexusJoey
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I'm not so sure about that. I think the SAT/AM button was generic. You still needed the factory installed SAT received installed to be able to get SAT. Usually with factory units, if your service is dead, you'll just get nothing or "no service" showing, but station "0" will be the ID of your unit.

If you press the SAT/AM button and get absolutely nothing but AM, then you don't have the unit installed.
Some headunits have AM only and some have SAT/AM. It's true, when you press SAT/AM, you will get AM only. What the button shows is that "this" radio is satellite "ready". You would still have to install the satellite receiver or what Sirius calls the interface. http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/serv...0&oldParentID=
The process is not that hard. Buy the Toyota/Lexus receiver from Siruis, plug the interface cables in the headunit, mount the interface, run the antennae, and call to activate.

Last edited by LexusJoey; 11-12-10 at 05:50 AM.
Old 11-12-10, 12:41 PM
AlexusAnja

Some headunits have AM only and some have SAT/AM. It's true, when you press SAT/AM, you will get AM only. What the button shows is that "this" radio is satellite "ready". You would still have to install the satellite receiver or what Sirius calls the interface. http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/serv...0&oldParentID=
The process is not that hard. Buy the Toyota/Lexus receiver from Siruis, plug the interface cables in the headunit, mount the interface, run the antennae, and call to activate.
Hem, interesting... so there are those with "AM" only. I guess mine is SAT ready, just needs the interface. I'll skip anyway, don't need the hassle.
Old 11-12-10, 06:02 PM
LexusJoey
Pit Crew

I'll skip anyway, don't need the hassle.

Agreed. I also hear that the headunit crops out some of the text off the satellite. On top of that, the "factory" install has less features.
I like the way I installed my Sirius. This little thing has DVR like features (pause, rewind, record), browse other stations without actually going to it, comes with remote, etc. 15 min install.
Attached Thumbnails What's required to get XM working with nav system in 06?-img_1123.jpg  
Old 11-12-10, 08:44 PM
AlexusAnja

Default 3m

... I like the way I installed my Sirius. This little thing has DVR like features (pause, rewind, record), browse other stations without actually going to it, comes with remote, etc. 15 min install.
What is that, just 3M double-sided on and uses FM frequency for link? Or you actually have it hard wired?
Old 11-13-10, 05:22 AM
LexusJoey
Pit Crew

What is that, just 3M double-sided on and uses FM frequency for link?
3M double stick & FM transmit. The sound quality isn't that bad
Old 11-21-10, 07:58 AM
anniversar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am somewhat confused with how to do this also.

From what I can see having researched it, a SAT receiver and the interface is needed whether or not the head unit has a SAT button or not. The Vaistech web site shows what is needed http://www.vaistech.com/products/home.php

My model is an 2006 with the Navigation ML set up and has an AM/SAT button. If I only needed to add the receiver and not the interface then that would be great and a lot cheaper,but I haven't yet found anywhere on the forums that someone has been able to do this.

I am puzzled however as to what the difference really is between the AM and the AM/SAT units. The general wisdom is the later means it is SAT ready, but what does SAT ready mean in terms of what equipment is needed to get XM or Sirius to work?
Old 11-21-10, 09:53 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

call the dealer and they will know
Old 11-21-10, 01:49 PM
daddykay24
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by anniversar

From what I can see having researched it, a SAT receiver and the interface is needed whether or not the head unit has a SAT button or not. The Vaistech web site shows what is needed http://www.vaistech.com/products/home.php

My model is an 2006 with the Navigation ML set up and has an AM/SAT button. If I only needed to add the receiver and not the interface then that would be great and a lot cheaper,but I haven't yet found anywhere on the forums that someone has been able to do this.

I am puzzled however as to what the difference really is between the AM and the AM/SAT units. The general wisdom is the later means it is SAT ready, but what does SAT ready mean in terms of what equipment is needed to get XM or Sirius to work?
There is a factory unit which is plug and play to the sat ready units. You simply plug into your amp in the back and activate it. The Sat ready units will also display the channels,songs,and other infomation right on the factory radio. You can also change the channels from the radio and the steering wheel. Aftermarket types do not display the information on the radio however, it does show up on the aftermarket display and you change the stations from there as well.
I hope I explained this right
Old 11-22-10, 06:42 AM
LexusJoey
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by daddykay24
There is a factory unit which is plug and play to the sat ready units. You simply plug into your amp in the back and activate it. The Sat ready units will also display the channels,songs,and other infomation right on the factory radio. You can also change the channels from the radio and the steering wheel. Aftermarket types do not display the information on the radio however, it does show up on the aftermarket display and you change the stations from there as well.
I hope I explained this right
That is correct

Originally Posted by anniversar
This of it like this. There are TVs and there are Cable ready TVs. If you plug in cable to a regular tv (if that's even possible), your not going to get any of the cable channels.
Same as in the radios. The head units without the SAT button shows it is NOT satellite ready.
HOWEVER (back to TVs), if you get a cable converter and then plug it in the regular TV you will get cable. BUT the converter box will be controlling the channels not the TV.
(back to car) On head units that are NOT SAT ready. That is what vaistech can offer. Some of their products will receive the SAT signal and "convert" it over to your non SAT radio. However, it will be the vaistech controlling the changing of the stations and not the headunit.

Just like my setup. I have it receiving from a separate unit and it's converting via FM mod. The radio is set to 1 specific station only and I change the channel via the Sirius unit.

Last edited by LexusJoey; 11-22-10 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-22-10, 04:32 PM
anniversar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks I understand that if the head unit does not have a SAT button then the Viastech interface is needed. However, my 2006 does have the SAT button and so in this case what do I need?
Old 11-22-10, 06:35 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All the 2004+ cars with Nav should have the shared AM\SAT button I believe. All you need to do is get a hold of the factory XM kit and install it. Contact your dealer for the part # and then try and find the unit. Then activate it and you're done

Link here on CL showing where it's installed and what it looks like:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-05-ls430.html

Quick Reply: What's required to get XM working with nav system in 06?