LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Battery Size and type for 2006 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-10, 09:19 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

My Lexus dealer told me that the Lexus battery they sell is made by Interstate.
Old 11-05-10, 03:05 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Checked my local Costco and they do not sell the Group 24 battery size (except in a marine battery) so it looks like I will be getting the Wally-world Everstart battery.
Old 11-10-10, 07:14 PM
joeydingo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put an Interstate MTP 24f in my Tundra, and will do the same with my LS when it needs one. Seems like from all the research I did, they are the best. You can find cheaper, but not better.
Old 10-01-14, 06:27 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RomanTPA
not what i heard from some of the horror stories i have read about. and its not really a car wash, its more of a hose down.

on the battery note, interstate is always been the top choice of master mechanics that i know. btw, thats what i have in my LS, a 1000 CA one. and dont forget you can go to their website and print out a coupon for $10-20 which will lower the price to under $100. 100 is not much for a 84month warrantee battery
+1 on the Lexus OEM batteries being complete *****e. I had mine go bad in my 2003 LS after only 3 years. It was leaking acid badly causing corrosion on the terminals which, in turn, caused my electronics to go haywire.

The CCA on the OEM I had was 585. The CCA on the Kirkland Signature I purchased for 100 dollars is 700. It came with a 3 year complete replacement warranty and a 100 month prorated warranty.

Since I purchased the car recently, I did not have the receipt for the OEM battery and Lexus refused to honor the 84 month warranty. They told me that a new Lexus battery retails for around 500 dollars. I asked if the serviceman was joking. I think that's the last time I go there
Old 10-01-14, 08:08 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Still running the original factory OEM battery on my 06 LS430. I had thought about replacing because glow light indicator on the battery stopped glowing and simply because it is so old but it still starts the car warm or cold in less than a 1/2 second. I think it is a Panasonic brand.
Old 10-03-14, 04:37 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Still running the original factory OEM battery on my 06 LS430. I had thought about replacing because glow light indicator on the battery stopped glowing and simply because it is so old but it still starts the car warm or cold in less than a 1/2 second. I think it is a Panasonic brand.
I would cautious with any battery that old. I've had my LS start up fine in morning and then dead at night. The electronics are set so that if it detects low, you won't even be allowed to crank. The day my LS (happened with RX too) went, it started fine all previous times.
Old 10-03-14, 08:53 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Here is a good PDF from CR for those looking for some ratings.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Car battery Ratings.pdf (198.3 KB, 4208 views)
Old 10-03-14, 02:00 PM
walleyeman
Rookie

I purchased the Optima "red top" for our Sienna from Costco on sale for $120 back in 2008 and it is still going strong. While this car also uses the group 24 the optima fit with minor modifications.
I wanted this battery because the Sienna does not turn off interior lights after a set time-thus if an interior light is left on it will just drain the battery out. The Optima's are AGM which will take a full drain and re-charge many more times than a lead acid battery. I use this car for work and found that many times I just needed power without the engine running this battery fit the bill. Now 6 years later it is still very good and is within 10% of it's original cranking capacity.
They are more expensive-but I believe they also last longer and (for me) work better.
Old 10-06-14, 04:32 PM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might try calling your local Interstate Battery distributor. Ours here will sell blem batteries at a considerable discount. I've done that for years and usually its a case scratch or label color. Nothing affecting the battery performance.
The Lexus charging circuitry is not designed for AGM batteries like the Optima. They need a different charging profile than a flooded cell (regular or low maintenance) battery. They will work for years but will deteriorate sooner than they should because of the way they are charged. Their main benefit is vibration resistance which isn't a big feature in our cars. All for a fairly expensive battery at that.
Old 04-13-16, 02:59 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

I am out of the country

Wife drove the car
(Has Lexus battery)

Next morning won't start

Not sure if she left something on

Car was perfect before I left for my trip

1) should I buy new batt ?

2) should I jump start it and see if that works ?
Old 04-18-16, 06:09 PM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find the LS has no many power leeches that it's easy to drain a battery. I think I've done it 3 times.
Yes, get a jump start. Put a charger on the battery and fully charge it with a good 3 stage charger.
It should charge to something over 12.6 volts. Measure it after it has been sitting quietly with no drain or charge for at least 20 minutes. If it's under 12.6 it's time to look for a deal on a new battery, but you're likely to be OK.
Optimas and other AGM batteries are not a good idea because the charging circuit is not optimized for them.
Old 04-18-16, 06:12 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

My battery was form 2008

So I put a new one in

After jumping it wouldn't hold charge
Old 04-20-16, 06:31 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I usually talk to my son who is a Senior Category manager at Batteries Plus corporate. Go to a Batteries Plus store and let them help you select a battery and they will also install it for you... Pricing depends on usually the warranty length and if you want to go AGM. He also said that he would recommend staying with a recommended spec battery because going with a 700 CCA, etc is not going to be any better for your vehicle or last longer. . Spec is 580 CCA?
Old 04-20-16, 07:27 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Current battery in our '01 LS430 is one from AAA (I think it is an Interstate) installed about 3 years ago (when it "died" in the garage). Since then, this one "died" in the garage two more times due to the mechanism that closes the trunk "looped" and drained the battery. (Don't ask me how she did it but the wife moved on to a 460 and the 430 is now my daily... I close the trunk very deliberately and ensure it closes).

Jumped it from the Optima Yellow Top in the SC and the battery recovered both times.

Appears most batteries live in the 3-5 year range with a few exceptions in the 5-7. In the big scheme of things for our cars, a battery is not a big ticket item (except for maybe at the dealerships) so replacing them every 3-4 years does not seem excessive given the demands of the electrical system. Brands now seem no longer relevant given the consolidation.
Old 04-20-16, 10:06 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

costco issue is a co-branded interstate/kirkland signature

automotive fitment code 9
group 34
CCA 800
42 month free replacement

Quick Reply: Battery Size and type for 2006 LS430