LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

More power?

Old 10-11-10, 02:01 AM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More power?

Hi all,

Before I start,I DO realise that the LS430 is primarily a luxury cruiser,but the hoon in me wants to mod it for more go,like I've done with practically everything else I've owned over the years.

How many of you have done performance work to your cars?

I fitted a custom 2 1/2" dual exhaust system and custom hard intake pipe to my old UCF11 years ago and it saw a nice gain on the road and on the dyno (~30kw atw),while having a nice note.
As part of my reading on the 430 I've been hunting around on the web and reading a few japanese magazines for info on getting more go from the 4.3L,with little success. The various top-mounted supercharger kits are an obvious place to go for serious gains,but in all seriousness,I don't think I'm going to go that far,at least not in the short term,and the cost outlay to get one is alarming.

The first place most people start is with the exhaust.
The majority of aftermarket off-the-shelf exhausts I've seen so far are from the Y pipe back,and most ads make no mention of pipe diameter,all info is usually limited to material (stainles or titanium),and the size and style of the tips on the end of the rear mufflers. That doesn't help much.

My current thinking is to go from the same point back (the factory Y) and run dual 2 1/2" pipes,with resonators if they'll fit,and a pair of X-force Varex mufflers at the rear,with some nice straight tips. That should give the car a nice exhaust note and free up a little go while I work out where else I might like to go looking for gains.

I'd be very interested in any details other forum members could provide into what they've done to their own cars and what gains they achieved.

Justin...
Old 10-11-10, 05:12 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

look for a member named solo from cali, he did the whole exhaust thing after some research (i believe),, not sure i want my DD that loud but if it were a weekender than why not??

other than that just headers & intake is the only other small performance gains i can think of, and of course an air fuel ratio controller (fuel mapper) thing if they are even compatible with this 430 (haven't ever checked).
Old 10-11-10, 08:00 AM
ThaWatcha
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

spring for the Tom's supercharger!
Old 10-12-10, 02:01 AM
fergo308
Pole Position

At $13k AUD for the kit,I'm not exactly rushing out to buy one... Custom twin turbos with tuning would cost less.

Justin...
Old 10-12-10, 06:05 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I know opening the exhaust and intake flow allows the engine to breath better but I would be concerned about increasing noise levels. But on an LS I am pretty sure one of the primary design goals was for the driver to not hear or even feel the engine running.

I think about the guys that drive the 108 hp civics with the custom fart muffler - they are going by at 57 mph and sound like the space shuttle taking off. Very impressive...but not in a good way.

I am certainly not opposed to mods for more power, but I think level of quiet and smoothness should not be messed with on the LS if you want it to be an actual LS per its design goals.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 10-12-10 at 06:09 AM.
Old 10-12-10, 06:53 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I know opening the exhaust and intake flow allows the engine to breath better but I would be concerned about increasing noise levels. But on an LS I am pretty sure one of the primary design goals was for the driver to not hear or even feel the engine running.

I think about the guys that drive the 108 hp civics with the custom fart muffler - they are going by at 57 mph and sound like the space shuttle taking off. Very impressive...but not in a good way.

I am certainly not opposed to mods for more power, but I think level of quiet and smoothness should not be messed with on the LS if you want it to be an actual LS per its design goals.
I agree with jabberwock, The LS is a car of refinement, I would only do mods that can add power while keeping it within its design goals. In my opinion it cheapens the car. You want power and a nice growl? a nice mustang cobra would do you right ;-)
Old 10-12-10, 12:24 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

I can't buy a mustang here,they don't sell them. If I HAD to have a domestic,I'd go for a Holden first.. Old allegiance...

The mufflers I'm going to fit have an electrically variable baffle control to change them from a straight through to a chambered design,so I should be able to silence it back to a level that's close to stock when I want to,and open it up a bit when I want flow... best of both worlds. check out: http://xforce.com.au/cars/view_car/29

Justin...
Old 10-12-10, 01:03 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^Holden Monaro or Vauxhall VXR? They've done a lot of testing on these on Top Gear and they look like they would be a blast to own/drive. Tons of power, RWD, LSD...the Australian muscle car. Your Holden Monaro was actually rebadged here as a Pontiac GTO, and the VXR a Pontiac G8
Old 10-12-10, 01:48 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
^Holden Monaro or Vauxhall VXR? They've done a lot of testing on these on Top Gear and they look like they would be a blast to own/drive. Tons of power, RWD, LSD...the Australian muscle car. Your Holden Monaro was actually rebadged here as a Pontiac GTO, and the VXR a Pontiac G8
yep ..............
Old 10-12-10, 08:35 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

I've driven monaros before,and have worked on many a holden commodore,which is the car the monaro was based on. I'm in no rush to go out and buy a holden of any type over a Lexus. They don't make anything that successfully competes with the LS.

V8 Commodores are what rednecks (we call them bogans) drive over here.

Their build quality is highly dubious and their performance (car AND their average driver) is far overrated. A G35 Infiniti would wipe the floor with a monaro and would both last longer,and have better fit and finish. We don't get those either,unless they're grey imports.

Thanks for the suggestions,but I'm not looking for another car,I'm looking at mods to do to my current one...

Justin...
Old 10-12-10, 08:52 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Understandable Justin,
I really don't know much about the overseas choice so I was more curious than anything. The redneck car here is the pickup truck usually and tends to be old and rusted away (no offense towards those who have one).

How much gain in power do you want? If you're just looking at exhaust and intake, then the gains are likely to be pretty minimal...to the point where you probably won't feel much and definitely won't be worth the $$ you threw at it. Forced induction will turn this car into something that can run with Jag XJRs and M5s, but like you said it is terrifyingly expensive. I've never looked into modding the engine for this car so idk too much. I suppose your other option is the chip out the car. Some ECUs are mapped pretty conservatively (though it may be for a good reason).

Keep in mind that the other components (cooling sys, transmission, differential etc) were designed to work with the amount of power that came with the car.
Old 10-12-10, 09:17 PM
94LSon20
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cut out silencers, replace with piping. A guy around my place did it to his Audi W12, sounds great. Quiet idle, great note under acceleration. Wish we could make our LS' sound like AMG S65's
Old 10-12-10, 09:28 PM
stock_sc
Pole Position

hmm i dont think i seen to many options for power upgrades. the only thing i can think of in terms of a big bump in power are the superchargers. i cant remember what the big differences were in terms of the 1uz vs 3uz. i can think of 2 companies that might make a compatible kit in terms of top mount supercharger are bullet and richwood. i only say might because it was made for a 1uz engine. there is something called the fish supercharger bracket also that might work. hope it helps if you were looking in the future for power upgrades.
some websites you might find helpful.
http://www.lextreme.com/ <- for info on forced induction and the fish bracket.
http://www.bulletcars.com/supercharg...er-system.html <- top mount supercharger bracket
Old 10-12-10, 09:39 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

Without doing any work to the transmission beyond a fluid change and service and adding a larger oil cooler (as I may tow with the car once or twice a year) I wouldn't want to push things past 10-20% over the std output for the engine. The furthest I'd probably go would be full exhaust,intake work,bigger cams and a retune.
Maybe in a year or so if my cashflow improves I may consider a tom's blower kit,but that's unlikely. The kit costs as much as a new Yaris hatch...that's kind of hard to justify.

What I was hoping for was some solid info on what piping sizes,mufflers and so on people have fitted to their cars and what gains they achieved,ala some threads on the SC400 forums and lextreme. I haven't found anything specific to the LS430/3UZ yet,exhaust related or otherwise other than 'fit supercharger kit,off the shelf exhaust and enjoy.',and I didn't particularly want to do the pioneering work if someone else already has,if you know what I mean.

The diff shouldn't be an issue other than fitting an LSD centre. I'll look into it at the end of the week when I pick my car up from the dealer,but I'd be surprised if it was a different series than what's in the JZA80 supra. Regardless, TRD should have something that will fit.

The cooling system is also unlikely to be a problem. A free exhaust and a retune shouldn't gain more than 40kw in the best possible case;the system is hardly going to be overtaxed with that little extra load being put on it. The hottest it ever gets where I live is 40deg. C,so I'm sure there's headroom left. I'll likely chuck a good temp gauge in the glovebox to keep an eye on it just in case. I have a new greddy one somewhere in my garage...

My LS is my daily driver and I'm a bit of a leadfoot. Having had several S14's,a UCF11,2 mid-70's Monaros,a few AE86's and two stageas,I am used to cars with a bit of go. I've bought the LS to spoil myself with some luxury while I commute to work and cruise around on the weekends,but it would be nice if I could make it just that little bit quicker to stave off the performance-car cravings. I've got 15 years before my mid-life crisis,I don't need a porsche just yet. ;-)

Justin...
Old 10-12-10, 11:04 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

StockSC: Thanks for that,That's the stuff I've been searching through. Bullet are 12hrs north of me,I've emailed them to see if they've done any work with the 3UZ.
Will keep you all updated.

Justin...