LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Another Transmission Fluid Thread

Old 09-28-10, 08:02 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
Slightly off topic, but do you have any rust issues? Also, do you use the OEM mud flaps to reduce gravel/sand pelting the lower door rocker panels?

Silicon (sand) is the major wear indicator in engine fluids (from dust in the air). The more silica, the more wear you will experience. Aluminum and iron are from transmission component wear (gears, etc.). I'm not sure, but I'd harbor a guess that Toyota is using an aluminum planetary gear in the transmission? Usually only the heavy-duty trannies like in the Landcruiser/LX470 get the steel planetary gears; even the GX/4Runner went to aluminum gears back in 2003.
Hi Jim,

No rust problems whatsoever. I don't have any mud flaps on the car. My rocker panels look fine.

Here's a link to Blackstone that talks about what some of the elements are in your typical tranny fluid and how they get there.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/trans...n-elements.php
Old 09-28-10, 08:06 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
And the question nobody has asked... do you feel an improvement in performance?
The tranny shifts slightly smoother when driving, but I didn't have an issue to begin with. I also noticed that it shifts a bit quicker when shifting between park to reverse, reverse to drive, drive to reverse, park to drive.
Old 09-29-10, 12:13 PM
abs
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JimsGX
The tranny shifts slightly smoother when driving, but I didn't have an issue to begin with. I also noticed that it shifts a bit quicker when shifting between park to reverse, reverse to drive, drive to reverse, park to drive.
My recollection is that the viscosity drops over time relative to new fluid. I'd bet the improvements you mention are due to the higher viscosity.

Andrew
Old 09-29-10, 02:17 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmm, haven't a number of folks complained about the delay when shifting into gear?
Old 09-29-10, 11:12 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Hmm, haven't a number of folks complained about the delay when shifting into gear?
Yea that is one of the things I really do NOT like about my car at ALL. Changing fluid did nothing for that on mine.
Old 09-30-10, 11:12 PM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah my delay is too long for me .....lol NYC drivers need quick gear engagement.
Old 10-01-10, 04:56 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I think the delay is built in to avoid any of the typical 'clunk" between gear changes that drivers may feel in other types of cars.

This works well down here in Texas - we take it sloooww paadna - particularly in my town where the speed limit is 30mph everywhere.

The LS must have been designed in southern Japan : )
Old 10-01-10, 06:28 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
... The LS must have been designed in southern Japan : )
That's a good one. Does that mean the LS is the General Lee of luxury cars?
Old 10-01-10, 11:16 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

I'm expecting the lab test results today. Haven't heard from them yet though. They typically process the sample and generate the report the same day they receive it. They received it yesterday before noon. They're supposed to email it to me.

Jim
Old 10-01-10, 01:44 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

100,000 tranny changes, 7500 mile and up oil changes it will be good to see how the fluids hold up to these higher levels of use.
I had a client who is a GM mechanic come to my office and we started talking car talk. He mentioned on the GM 3.5 and 3.9's how they went to 5000 mile oil changes and now they are doing warrantee engine work at 30-40 k due to timing chain failures. He just mentioned the newer ranges for changes and how automakers start to keep up with the Jones and agreed with most of us an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Old 10-01-10, 04:31 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

^^^
I don't know if it's releated, but GM has had a lot of stretched timing chain issues with the 3.6L DOHC V6. The problem is present in both the RWD Cadillacs and FWD crossovers with the engine.
Old 10-01-10, 04:41 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

I just received the lab test via email... I have to download a free .pdf editor and strip out my personal info before I can upload it... There's one additional test coming next week called a TAN. I'm guessing for tranny fluid, they do a TAN instead of a TBN...

Here's a link that explains TAN & TBN... http://www.oil-analysis.org/tan_tbn_test.html
Old 10-01-10, 05:36 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Attached is the Blackstone Transmission Fluid Analysis Report for my 2005 Lexus LS430 with 100,944 miles on the WS oil. Be sure to read the comments section. The TAN report will come on Monday and I'll upload that as well.

Jim
Attached Files
Old 10-01-10, 07:44 PM
elite7
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimsGX
Attached is the Blackstone Transmission Fluid Analysis Report for my 2005 Lexus LS430 with 100,944 miles on the WS oil. Be sure to read the comments section. The TAN report will come on Monday and I'll upload that as well.

Jim
Hello Jim,

Thank you so much for the Analysis Report.

This assures me that the Factory knows what they are talking about.

On another note i hope that everyone keeps in mind that just because you have dirty or old fluid it doesnt mean your transmission is in bad condition

or

just because the transmission has some new fluid it doesnt mean that the transmission is in perfect condition.

Looking forward to the TAN Report on Monday .

Last edited by elite7; 10-01-10 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-02-10, 06:29 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

The contaminants look pretty good, especially at 100K. Both viscosity values are slightly below the target range. Does anyone know what value(s) indicate whether the trans fluid is "spent"?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another Transmission Fluid Thread